Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Baby at the end

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Sarah Given Does anyone understand what the dying baby at the end of the book represents?

message 2: by GiGi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

GiGi Rose It's the part of Voldemort's soul that was in Harry (the scar was a horcrux).

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Sarah Given Oh thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense

message 4: by GiGi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

GiGi Rose I thought it was a little confusing and a little nagging (I guess like a baby crying!) I loved how it really came down to Harry making the choice to go back. That was really moving.

message 5: by Ruchi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Ruchi Singh if the baby represented voldy's dying soul....why a baby??why not an old,dying person or smthng?

message 6: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cindy I think it is symbolism, really. Why not a baby? When you think of a "soul", what do you think of? Life. Which would symbolize life more, a baby or an old person? I would think of a baby.

message 7: by Sanjay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sanjay I think Voldemort is symbolized by a baby because he never acts like a man...just as he is about to die, Harry says to him something along the lines of "show some remorse, be a man, it's your only hope".

message 8: by Natalie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natalie I also think it was a baby because it was the only time in voldys life when his soul was somewhat pure.

message 9: by Eli (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Eli I think I saw the baby before,in the another story. maybe devil'son

message 10: by Sue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Sue in the book where he was subsissting under the prof's turban wasn't he described something like a misshapen red baby?

message 11: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimberly I don't think I remember the red turban ever being shaped like a baby, but I'll go back and check in a minute.

message 12: by Sue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Sue Not a red turban, under a new professor's turban at Hogworts school.

Ciara I agree with Gigi.

Sandy Wasn't he the size of a baby in book four when Wormtail put him into the cauldron?

Louisa @Sandy, thats what i was thinking of as well

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandy wrote: "Wasn't he the size of a baby in book four when Wormtail put him into the cauldron?"

That's what I thought.

message 17: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna The "baby" was deformed, pathetic, and sobbing. The "baby" symbolized Voldemort's soul. What was left of it was deformed, pathetic, and secretly sobbing. Why else would he be so depraved and evil? His soul had been self-butchered and naturally would be in severe pain. Souls have feelings too! ;)

Julia If I recall correctly, it was described the same way Voldemort was described in the moment that Harry saw him before Wormtail put him in the cauldron to be resurrected.

message 20: by Spa (last edited Mar 06, 2014 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Spa In the fourth book, Voldemort is in the shape of a deformed adult baby. He is therefore, weak, and unable to take care of himself. He must submit to being cared for by one of his most pathetic followers, and depends on Nagini's venom and Pettigrew to stay alive. This form is essentially the embodiment of that largest part of Voldemort's soul that fled from Godric's Hollow to Albania on the night that he attempted to kill Harry.

In the seventh book, the little deformed baby is another part of Voldemort's soul. It is in this form because it is in a place where everything takes a form. Harry and Dumbledore were not there in body, but in soul, and the form that the soul took in that place between life and death was that of the body that had housed them. The Horcrux, not being a full soul, was unable to take the shape of a capable being. It took the shape that one must assume is the one that a Horcrux will always take when it has a body - that of a deformed adult baby.

This baby thing is the very embodiment of weakness - something Lord Voldemort has always abhorred. In its cry for help it is showing its desperation, and essentially its unwholesomenees, and perhaps in some sense its remorse.

(Yes, I am a Harry Potter geek)

message 21: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy It is part of Voldemort's soul dying. That's why Dumbledore said it had to be Voldemort to kill harry because he would be killing himself which would hurt the most. So yeah, the dying baby is Voldemort's horcrux dying