Muriel Spark discussion

Favorite books, short stories, poems, or other by Spark

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2010 06:44AM) (new)

Just wondering what everyone's favorites are. At the moment, mine are:
BOOKS
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (my introduction to Spark will always be a favorite)
Loitering With Intent
Memento Mori
The Mandelbaum Gate
SHORT STORIES
The Portobello Road
The Seraph and the Zambesi
The Black Madonna
Fortunately, there's still a lot more of Spark's fiction that I have yet to read.

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 14 comments I've added A Far Cry From Kensington to my list above. Loved it.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 54 comments All right, who has read 'The Driver's Seat'?

It is quite something. Really stings.

Just finished it.
I feel like I should wait 2 days and read it again.
In part maybe because I'm allergy-infested. But also to better appreciate her wit & style, her story-telling.

message 4: by Kathleen (last edited May 17, 2011 07:48AM) (new)

Kathleen | 14 comments It wasn't my favorite, but I read it after seeing the film, which I didn't like (Liz Taylor as Lise. All wrong.) I may read it again one day. It was Spark's favorite, I think.
I sense that you weren't crazy about the book?

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 54 comments No, I appreciate it more now, it wasn't what I'd expected. I have a proper review I'm writing, it's not done yet, when it is I'll post a link.

I think it's brilliant.
I wasn't in love with it...but I still admire it/her--was like a very sharp jewel...that cuts.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The Driver's Seat is, without a doubt, one of the greatest things ever written. A masterpiece.

message 8: by Jessica (last edited Jul 14, 2011 10:19AM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 54 comments wow, high praise indeed!

It is good and highly original (as is all of her work).

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It completely blew me away. I originally picked it up during my quest for short, novella-length fiction; it's length was the only thing that drew me to it, I had never even heard of Spark before.

Little did I know....

message 10: by Jessica (last edited Jul 14, 2011 11:10AM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 54 comments I had the opposite experience. I think I'd read 4 or 5 of her novels before I came across Driver's Seat. But all along I kept hearing about it, and it sounded like something I would love. Every library and used bookshop I went into I'd look for it...But it was never there. Finally, I broke down and bought it on amazon. And yes, mind-blowing...

As was the first novel I read by her (Prime) and a short story. Now I have to remember which story it was though!

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 54 comments The first story I ever read of hers was "The House of the Famous Poet" included in an anthology of fiction by women, Women of the Century. What a strange and wonderful story it was! I knew I had to read more by Spark...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read any of her short stories yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 54 comments They're great as well. My local library was discarding a volume of her Collected Stories...plan to read them all.

sad that a library feels a need to discard Muriel..:(

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 14 comments That is sad.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 54 comments isn't it?

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 14 comments But now you have it!

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark (pericles) | 13 comments Though I have read most of her novels at least once have to confess to never having red any of her short stories though i have just got hold of a copy of her collected short stories a few months ago. My favoourite novel still remians ' memento mori ' just brilliant and witty and perfect...i like it quite a lot

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark (pericles) | 13 comments can normally spell ' read' by the way

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 14 comments Mine, too.

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark (pericles) | 13 comments good to know i am not alone Kathleen

message 21: by Mark (new)

Mark (pericles) | 13 comments on re reading thought i ought to point out i can also normally spell favourite and remains

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 54 comments No, I haven't. Let us know what you think (assuming you read it)?

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 14 comments I lost track of this thread, Jessica. I hope you're well, Jessica. I did read it. I enjoy just about anything by or about Muriel Spark.

message 25: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 14 comments https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/a...

Thinking this is the season for this. The short story that started it all for Spark.