Into the Forest discussion

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1387 comments Mod
Section for the Brothers

message 2: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I have always enjoyed "Rumpelstiltskin" and stories that are similar. I am currently reading a retelling of "Rumpelstiltskin" called How to Spin Gold: A Woman's Tale. I have not gotten very far, but at this point am enjoying it. It will be interesting to see how this pans out: a disfigured woman trained by a wise woman, not a dwarfish/goblin man.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Let me know. That looks interesting.

I always preferred "The Three Spinners" version.

message 4: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I like that one, too.

message 5: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Finished How to Spin Gold: A Woman's Tale a few days ago. Found it to be an enjoyable "this is how it REALLY happened" kind of story.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Frau Holle in Lego. The tale is retold in German, but you can easily find an English translation online.

http://www.bernd-the-brick.de/frau_ho...

message 7: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (minuet33) | 43 comments My favorite Grimms tale is The Juniper Tree!

message 8: by Christine (new)

Why?

message 9: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (minuet33) | 43 comments It's just so weird and creepy and yet it has a satisfying ending! Love!

message 10: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 37 comments I have just begun reading Samuel Denis Fohr's fascinating Cinderella's Gold Slipper: Spiritual Symbolism in the Grimms' Tales, with a foreword by John Algeo, who discusses the purpose behind Sondheim's musical Into the Woods:

"Into the Woods" is a play about the karmic consequences of our actions and about how we grow and evolve through our experiences in the Woods of this world. In that way, it is an esoteric or theosophical interpretation of Grimms' tales.

In the beginning chapters Fohr mentions many authors who have written various kinds of interpretations of fairy and folktales, from Freudian to Feminist. Fohr himself sets out to establish the metaphysical sources of these tales, and how they were deliberately constructed to instruct the archetypal subconscious on the evolution of the human soul.

I have barely started the book, but the nature of most fairy tales and folktales -- with their dire warnings and horrific consequences -- certainly seem to be flirting with ideas of angels and demons, heaven and hell, and good and evil. At any rate, I love a good metaphor, and this seems to be the book to satisfy my soul.

message 11: by Christine (new)

Thanks for posting Janice. The book sounds intersting.

message 12: by A.J. (last edited Dec 18, 2011 04:42PM) (new)

A.J. | 1 comments Just started reading "Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales". It's awesome to see the original versions of the childhood fairy tales that I grew up with (and I'm saying that like I grew up so many years ago, I'm currently only 19 lol). The book itself is awesome too, with gold-leafed pages and a great cover haha

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales by Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm

message 13: by Bree (new)

Bree Mclaren (breenleyz) | 3 comments I've been reading the grimms for a year now and barely made a dent. I never knew how many there were! I would have to say my favorite so far isssssss......The Goose Girl, ever since I read the novel by The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale it's been one of my favorite stories. The classic was just as satisfying story was just as satisfying!

message 14: by Katharina (new)

Katharina Gerlach | 10 comments I love the original Grimms too. They're far more creepy than the kid-friendly versions we all know.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Our next classic group is the Complete Brothers Grimm!

message 16: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Feb 18, 2012 11:21AM) (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Am going to try to get back on track and participate in the group read. Love Grimm stories.

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane Reed Love, love, love those Grimms : ) Has anyone seen the annotated version with notes by scholar Maria Tatar? She's fascinating! And the illustrations are so beautiful they make you want to jump inside the stories.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Tatar's annotated tales are wonderful.

message 19: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4282 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Love, love, love those Grimms : ) Has anyone seen the annotated version with notes by scholar Maria Tatar? She's fascinating! And the illustrations are so beautiful they make you want to jump insid..."

yeah! I've just ordered this one!

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane Reed : )

message 21: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 76 comments I think the Tatar book is the one I have. Count me in. I'm still pretty fresh with it.

message 22: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 37 comments Diane wrote: "Love, love, love those Grimms : ) Has anyone seen the annotated version with notes by scholar Maria Tatar? She's fascinating! And the illustrations are so beautiful they make you want to jump insid..."

Which version exactly are you talking about? There seem to be many different books of Grimm's tales with comments by Tatar, but not all of them are illustrated...

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane Reed The one I have was published by Norton in 2004 with an intro by A.S. Byatt--very beautiful : )

message 25: by Janice (JG) (last edited Feb 26, 2012 02:10PM) (new)

Janice (JG) | 37 comments Diane wrote: "The one I have was published by Norton in 2004 with an intro by A.S. Byatt--very beautiful : )"

Yes, I broke down and ordered it (thanks for the link, Chris) -- even tho' I also have two Complete Grimm's compilations on my Kindle already. This will be nice to hold in my hands, and I am looking forward to reading the annotations by Tatar.

She (Tatar) runs a blog from Harvard, with interesting and short pointers and comments, all about the genre. If you haven't seen it and are interested, here is the link:

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tatar/

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane Reed Ooh, thanks for Tatar's link--sounds really interesting! : )

message 27: by Michele (new)

Michele | 520 comments ABE Books latest newsletter is all about versions of the Brothers Grimm, with a lovely selection of gorgeously illustrated editions. You can see them here.