The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BOOK REVIEWS > Jamie's Spring Challenge 2010 Reviews & Musings

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I said I was going to rock the Winter challenge and I flopped. I started out strong and got into a reading slump...err well more like a life slump. I feel like the Winter does that to me sometimes along with other life circumstances for me. Anyways, Spring 2010, you will be conquered! Maybe I won't finish you..but I will be up there for sure!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I have to say I'm very anxious to see the slew of other tasks for the 20 point category!

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments I know, me too. I keep trying to fit certain book I really want to read into the existing tasks, and then I have to remind myself that we have a lot of other tasks coming!!!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I'm starting with Blindness. I was hoping to have it done before the challenge started but I didn't so now I have to find a place to fit it. Any suggestions?

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments You could read it all in bed... or you could read it and pass it on to someone else to read... or if it was on your tbr, you can count it towards the 850 pages... Also this book was listed in the popular books for the year 1995 (ends with a 5)...

I hope that helps!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments You are the best thanks!!

Wow. So it's crazy how life happens. I was sitting here on Monday morning reading all morning and then at noon I get a phone call from my boyfriend telling me that his dad passed away. It wasn't a shock (because he had Lou Gehrig's disease and wasn't doing that well) but it was a surprise because it seemed like he still had another month or so left in him. Anyways, I panicked and grabbed some clothes but forgot my book on the way out. I mean, clearly it wasn't a big deal because this is wayyy more important..but it would have been nice to read during the down time to keep my mind off everything. So..not as far as I would like to be..but it's not on the top of my priority list until the end of this week.

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend's dad, Jamie. You are both in my thoughts.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Thank you. That is really appreciated. It's been rough already but we are hanging in there. I hate seeing him have to go through this. I've been there having lost my mom 3 1/2 years ago and it just pains me to see him have to deal with this. He and his dad were so close and I've been dating him for 3 years so I'm a part of their family especially because he's an only child.

I honestly can't wait to get caught up in a good book to stop thinking about all of this..

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments That sucks, Jamie! Are there any other books around the house that can take your mind off of this? You and your boyfriend will be in my thoughts and prayers! Good luck this week.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I actually just came home tonight so I'll be grabbing books for the rest of the week. The boyfriend wanted to spend some time at his apartment to get his mind off things and hang out with his roommates since alot of the funeral planning and visiting with family and friends has been done..so I was able to come home. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers!

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I am so sorry! I hope you and your boyfriend are doing okay. That is such a sad thing to go through. Unspeakably sad.

HUGS!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Thanks for all the support! It was really tough and my heart still breaks for him because in addition to his dad he lost his real mom when he was 3. I just feel so horrible. But..we made it through all the services and he seems to be doing well. It's hard because we miss him alot. The services were BEAUTIFUL and over 1,000 people came which was really awesome to see all the lives that have been touched.

In our down time I was finally able to finish Blindness by Jose Saramago which I thought was amazing!! I feel like I haven't felt this obsessed with a book in a while. The style took me a little bit to get used to..it was a little disorienting but I think that just enhanced the experience and soon the style didn't get to me at all.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Some books I finished recently:

Thirteen Reasons Why-- SO GOOD! I do not read YA a whole lot for some reason but I'd heard good things about this one. I'm SO glad I read it. I couldn't put it down. The writing wasn't anything spectacular but the story and the message was still powerful and made an impact.

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo--WOW! LOVED THIS ONE! What a complex mystery! It had me guessing until the end. Although, my initial suspicion was right! :)