Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

52 views
Miscellaneous Book Talk > Left Coast Crime - Booked in LA

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments I mentioned Michael Connelly in another post, and it reminded me -- Less than three weeks to the next conference. LCC runs from March 11 - 14. Because it's in LA, there are some authors showing up that usually don't come to the conferences. Michael Connelly will be there as will Robert Crais, Stephen Cannell, Lee Goldberg and the entire Kellerman clan; father, mother, son and daughter.

Personally, I am looking forward to meeting Earlene Fowler. The guests of honor are Jan Burke and Lee Child. My friend British author Colin Campbell is coming, and I think Barry Eisler just might make this one.

Starting to look forward to it.


message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3567 comments Cheryl wrote: "I mentioned Michael Connelly in another post, and it reminded me -- Less than three weeks to the next conference. LCC runs from March 11 - 14. Because it's in LA, there are some authors showing u..."

This one sounds wonderful, Cheryl! I met Earlene Fowler at a signing here in Denver a few years ago. She was a real sweetheart. I would love to see her again.


message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13902 comments Cheryl:
I can see why!

Cheryl wrote: "I mentioned Michael Connelly in another post, and it reminded me -- Less than three weeks to the next conference. LCC runs from March 11 - 14. .....Starting to look forward to it. "




message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria | 30 comments Cheryl what a great group of authors! Sounds like a terrific conference. I really enjoy listening to the authors but I have to admit I'm VERY shy about approaching them. Since there is no other way to get a book signed I have had to force myself to stand in front of a few authors that are my favorites and I'm sure I mumble inane things LOL!


message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria | 30 comments Oh, I meant to add that I would be very interested in meeting the person who invented the character Reacher. For some reason Reacher bothers me but I can't stop reading the series.


message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Lee Child is not what you would expect at all. I have met him several times as he attends most of the conferences. He is very laid back and quiet, almost an introvert.


message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Feb 22, 2010 09:32PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7591 comments Although he is excellent at book signings, full of stories about his years as a producer in British television, the things fans say to him about Reacher, and why he has Reacher do the things he does. A very thoughtful guy. And....tres easy on the eyes!

Maria, you seem to have gotten over your shyness with George Pelecanos!


Cheryl wrote: "Lee Child is not what you would expect at all. I have met him several times as he attends most of the conferences. He is very laid back and quiet, almost an introvert. "


message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria | 30 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Although he is excellent at book signings, full of stories about his years as a producer in British television, the things fans say to him about Reacher, and why he has Reacher do the things he doe..."

Nah. I felt like a complete dork. Odd that the pic Mike took GP is not blurry. I am blurry! Was I shaking? Moving? GEEZE!


message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13902 comments Maria:
I attended a Lee Child signing event several years ago and agree with Cheryl and carol - he is a very nice, soft spoken man and has terrific stories to tell about his writing, plans for the series and how he created the Reacher character and name. I hope you get to meet Lee Child someday too!

Maria wrote: "Oh, I meant to add that I would be very interested in meeting the person who invented the character Reacher. For some reason Reacher bothers me but I can't stop reading the series."


message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments There is a book called The Lineup edited by Otto Penzler. It is subtitled The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives.
Included are:
Lee Child - Jack Reacher
Robert Crais - Elvis Cole and Joe Pike
Ken Bruen - Jack Taylor
Michael Connelly - Hieronymous Bosch
Jeffery Deaver - Lincoln Rhyme
John Rebus - Ian Rankin
Preston & Child - Aloysius Pendergast
and more.
Granted it's not the same as meeting them in person, but it gives some interesting insights.


message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13902 comments This looks good Cheryl!
The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives
Cheryl wrote: "There is a book called The Lineup edited by Otto Penzler. It is subtitled The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives.
Included are:
Lee Child - Jack Re..."



message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3567 comments Cheryl wrote: "There is a book called The Lineup edited by Otto Penzler. It is subtitled The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives.
Included are:
Lee Child - Jack Re..."


This sounds interesting!


message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7591 comments Cheryl wrote: "There is a book called The Lineup edited by Otto Penzler. It is subtitled The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives.
Included are:
Lee Child - Jack Re..."


My best friend gave me this for Christmas. Haven't read it yet, but it does look good.


Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments I met Lee Child in Starbucks at Bouchercon...he bought me a latte. Very charming and sexy as hell.


message 15: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3445 comments I bought the Black Echo today that was one of the 2 books I had to buy today. So when I finish the current books I can finally start Black Echo.


message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "I met Lee Child in Starbucks at Bouchercon...he bought me a latte. Very charming and sexy as hell."

I seem to remember you telling me about the latte - - - several times. :-))


message 17: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments Cheryl wrote: "There is a book called The Lineup edited by Otto Penzler. It is subtitled The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives.
Included are:
Lee Child - Jack Re..."


I've been #1 on the waiting list for this with my library for a couple of weeks - should be arriving soon! I'm excited to read it.


message 18: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3445 comments I tried Borders they can't even get it. Only online. So will see if the library can get it.


message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments well, I'm off. My plane leaves at 6 a.m., and I don't dare go to sleep because I have to leave for the airport in about an hour. I have a layover in Chicago - long enough to get a decent breakfast, and then I can sleep from Chicago to LA.

Looking forward to this. For one thing, I have never met Robert Crais. I know some of you have.

Thursday is the first day of panels, and I will report in once I have something to say.


message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3490 comments Cheryl wrote: "well, I'm off. My plane leaves at 6 a.m., and I don't dare go to sleep because I have to leave for the airport in about an hour. I have a layover in Chicago - long enough to get a decent breakfas..."

safe travels, cheryl!


message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13902 comments Cheryl:
Have a great trip! we look forward to the Left Coast reports. I would love to meet Robert Crais!

Cheryl wrote: "well, I'm off. ....
Looking forward to this. For one thing, I have never met Robert Crais. I know some of you have. ..."



message 22: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3445 comments Enjoy your trip looking forward to your reports.


message 23: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments Have a great time Cheryl - at least it has finally stopped raining here!


message 24: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3567 comments Have a great time! Give RC a hug for me (he gives good ones)!


message 25: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments have a great trip Cheryl! really looking forward to your reports on the convention.


message 26: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Melodie wrote: "Have a great time! Give RC a hug for me (he gives good ones)!"

I saw this message after I had my book signed,but if I see him again I will ask. You know I am not shy.

I did get two from Barry Eisler who came in this morning and left this afternoon for a writers' workshop in Big Sur.

I have also gotten hugs from Colin Campbell. This is not easy because he is more than a foot taller than I am.


message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments DAY 1 REPORT:

I actually got here on Wednesday afternoon. I left at 6 a.m.EST after about 1 hours sleep. Arrived here at 1 p.m. (PST) with what little sleep I could manage on the plane. Was supposed to meet some friends for dinner, but I lay down and woke up about 10 hours later.

The programming started Thursday afernoon.
Panel 1 Booked in LA: Paul Levine, Gregg Hurwitz, James Scott Bell, Bruce Cook (Brant Randall).
They are TV and movie writers as well as novelists who talked about what the city of LA can add to novels. Where else do you have Phil Spector, the Black Dahlia and Fatty Arbuckle?

Panel 2 Robert Crais's LA He talked about the city as well. He read excerpts from a couple of his novels including the scene where Elvis Cole sees Harry Bosch drive by.
He also read some e-mails that he has received that were absolutely hysterical.

Met debut novelist Boyd Morrison. His book The Ark is getting lots of buzz, and he was handing out ARCS and signing them. Sophie Littlefield (author of Bad Day for Sorry told him that I was the person he wanted to impress.:-)

That evening there was the opening reception - cash bar and appetizersand I went to dinner after with a group from another message board 4MA including Mary Jane Maffini, an author from Ottawa, Canada.

Will be back later with Day 2. I'm going to go soak in a nice hot bath.


message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments DAY 2 REPORT

Panel 1 Spies Among Us Brett Battles, Barry Eisler, Gayle Lynds, Alan Cook, Aileen Barrons. At the beginning Bill Cameron passed around mini muffins for everyone. Then when the panel began he said that they were going to reveal secrets of the trade and would have to kill us all. We had made it easy by accepting the muffins.
Aileen Barrons was the surprise here. She looks like someone's grandmother, but she is a real feisty lady.

Panel 2 They Kill 'Em, We Catch 'Em: Deep Research Gay Toitl Kinman, Elizabeth Sims, D. P. Lyle, Ken Mercer, Colin Campbell, Serita Stevens.
They discussed where they got their information from. Can't they just make it all up? I was surprised to learn that D. P. Lyle is a cardiologist since he has written so much about forensic science. He has his first novel coming out this month. Colin, of course, is a policeman. Elizabeth Sims has a very annoying manner. I have never read any of her books, and I probably never will. (That doesn't happen very often.)

Panel 3 An Hour With the Kellermans Interview and chat with the whole family: Jon, Faye, Jesse and Aliza.

Panel 4 Barry Eisler interviewed by Naomi Hirahara. Are you surprised I went to this one?

Panel 5 Breaking News Christopher Rice, Jan Burke, Meg Gardiner, Gregg Hurwitz. They took a headline from the day's news about a man killing his wife and took it through the writing process. How would you create the characters, where would you find the twist, etc.?

Panel 6 The 3 C's Robert Crais, Stephen Cannell, Michael Connelly in conversation.


message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13902 comments It all sounds like great fun Cheryl!
I am glad you were about to get that ten hours of rest at the beginning to help you accomplish attending so many panels! (especially The Three C's - that would have been a major treat!)

Cheryl wrote: "DAY 2 REPORT
Panel 6 The 3 C's Robert Crais, Stephen Cannell, Michael Connelly in conversation."



message 30: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3445 comments Sounds like alot of fun panels.


message 31: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Wow, Cheryl! The panels sound great. What fun!!


message 32: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3567 comments Cheryl wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Have a great time! Give RC a hug for me (he gives good ones)!"

I saw this message after I had my book signed,but if I see him again I will ask. You know I am not shy.

I did ..."


Oh, you really should!! I do love me some RC!! LOL


message 33: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3567 comments Sounds like a ball, Cheryl! I checked out the listing of panels the other day and there was one about cozies with Earlene Fowler on it that I would have had to hit. Also saw that LCC is in Santa Fe next year. DH & I have been talking about another run down there. We're thinking about going down for my birthday next month, maybe we could go again next March.


message 34: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7591 comments Thanks for the reports, Cheryl, I am living vicariously through them! Would have loved the 3C's panel, I wish there were a transcript.


message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Thanks for the reports, Cheryl, I am living vicariously through them! Would have loved the 3C's panel, I wish there were a transcript."

Some of the conventions have taped and sold CDs, but these are not available.


message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Melodie wrote: "Sounds like a ball, Cheryl! I checked out the listing of panels the other day and there was one about cozies with Earlene Fowler on it that I would have had to hit. Also saw that LCC is in Santa ..."

I didn't get to that panel, but I did manage to meet her.


message 37: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3567 comments Cheryl wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Sounds like a ball, Cheryl! I checked out the listing of panels the other day and there was one about cozies with Earlene Fowler on it that I would have had to hit. Also saw that ..."

I've gone to signings with her twice. She's a really sweet lady.


message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments REPORT DAY 3

I've reached the point where I spend as much time sitting around talking as going to panels. As usual I've come across new authors and spent lots ot time in the book room. Thank heaven they know have a shipping service at most conventions.

Panel 1 Geezer Lit Mike Befeler, Rita Lakin, Cynthia Riggs, Camille Minichino (who also writes as Margaret Grace) They say their characters are over the age of consent. Cynthia Riggs has a protagonist who is in her 90s.

Lunch was provided by Michael Connelly. We met at the Angel Flight Railway Plaza and were able to ride the world's shortest railroad which was featured in one of his early stories. They had a box lunch and jazz music.
He has a new book coming out called The Reversal which is a Mickey Haller book, but Mickey hires Harry Bosch to do an investigation for him.

Panel 2 Sex and the Author Tim Maleeny, Eric Stone, Denise Dietz, Stephen Jay Schwartz, LJ Sellers, JT Ellison, Christa Faust. A big vocal group. Is sex necessary? Can there be too much? How do you handle sex and violence? How do you make it graphic and realistic without being pornographic?

Panel 3 Two Ladies from London A conversation with Rhys Bowen and Jacqueline Winspear.

Banquet
Awards:
DILYS AWARD - The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - Bradley

THE LEFTY - (humor) Getting Old is a Disaster - Lakin

THE BRUCE ALEXANDER MEMORIAL HISTORICAL MYSTERY - A Trace of Smoke - Cantrell

THE PANIK A one time LA Noir award honoring the original chairman for LCC 2010. Paul Anik who died last year.
Death Was in the Picture - Richards


message 39: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Forgive some of the spelling errors in the last message. It is early, I am tired, and I have just had my first cup of coffee.


message 40: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3445 comments I so love your reports. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a busy and fun time to be had.


message 41: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1151 comments Thanks for the great reports and list of the award winners. I saw Rebecca Cantrell at Bouchercon and A Trace of Smoke has been on my to read list since then. Looks like I need to move it up.


message 42: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3567 comments I wondered if you'd do the Michael Connelly Angel's Flight thing when I read about it on the website. Sounds like fun!


message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Conference is finished, but I am not flying home until tomorrow so I will get a little sight seeing done.

Sit down breakfast this morning. I'll do some name dropping. I had breakfast with Rhys Bowen, Don Bruns, Lee and Tod Goldberg and Meg Gardiner.

Just two panels this morning.

Panel 1 Books and Music Bill Moody, Parnell Hall, Don Bruns, Peggy Ehrhart. All panelists are musicians and/or write about musicians. I know some of you are Bill Moody fans.

Panel 2 Liars Rhys Bowen, Rita Lakin, Parnell Hall, Harley Jane Kozak. They have one of these at almost every con now. The stories get more and more outrageous all the time.


message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13902 comments Cheryl:
That does sound like fun and I look forward to The Reversal and any new Michael Connelly books!

Cheryl wrote: "REPORT DAY 3 Lunch was provided by Michael Connelly. We met at the Angel Flight Railway Plaza and were able to ride the world's shortest railroad which was featured in one of his early stories. They had a box lunch and jazz music.
He has a new book coming out called The Reversal which is a Mickey Haller book, but Mickey hires Harry Bosch to do an investigation for him. "



Melodie wrote: "I wondered if you'd do the Michael Connelly Angel's Flight thing when I read about it on the website. Sounds like fun!"


message 45: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13902 comments Cheryl:
That does sound like fun and I look forward to The Reversal and any new Michael Connelly books! (2011 seems a long time to wait though!)

Cheryl wrote: "REPORT DAY 3 Lunch was provided by Michael Connelly. We met at the Angel Flight Railway Plaza and were able to ride the world's shortest railroad which was featured in one of his early stories. They had a box lunch and jazz music.
He has a new book coming out called The Reversal which is a Mickey Haller book, but Mickey hires Harry Bosch to do an investigation for him. "



Melodie wrote: "I wondered if you'd do the Michael Connelly Angel's Flight thing when I read about it on the website. Sounds like fun!"


message 46: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Ann wrote: "Cheryl:
That does sound like fun and I look forward to The Reversal and any new Michael Connelly books! (2011 seems a long time to wait though!)

According to the booklet we got, the Connelly book is due this October, but he does indicate that it is not finished yet.



message 47: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3567 comments Cheryl wrote: "Conference is finished, but I am not flying home until tomorrow so I will get a little sight seeing done.

Sit down breakfast this morning. I'll do some name dropping. I had breakfast with Rhys..."


I would have liked that Music panel, too. I met Bill Moody at B'con in Vegas a few years ago and he was really a nice guy. And I love his books!


message 48: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Thanks Cheryl! Really enjoyed your reports. Hope you had a safe flight home.

As for Connelly's The Reversal, it is showing up for an October 5th release.


message 49: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1108 comments Thanks Cheryl, I enjoy your conference reports. Hope I can make it to one soon


message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments LCC 2011 is in Santa Fe.


« previous 1
back to top