Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Picture-Books That Inspire Art Production

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcia (last edited Feb 25, 2010 06:41PM) (new)

Marcia Scurfield | 7 comments For all the elementary art teachers out there who love to use picture books as art starters OR all the librarians who use visual art as a response to literature...

This topic started over in the "Welcome" section of the Children's Books Group, but I felt it needed it's own topic. So I hope it's OK that I copy those posts over here.

message 2: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Scurfield | 7 comments I think a very easy way to integrate language arts with art is to have students draw on a topic that is introduced by the story. To get vibrant artwork from the students I have then draw with markers and then color their drawings with markers and crayons.

Here are a couple of links to drawings produced from "The Day the Dragon Danced."

http://www.artsonia.com/museum/galler...

message 3: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Scurfield | 7 comments One of our most successful Language Arts/Art projects was based on Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold. Here are links to the images and my description of the project.

Part of a schoolwide unit on Kwanzaa, third graders read the book, "Tar Beach" by Story Quilt artist Faith Ringgold. We looked at Ringgold's use of pattern in her paintings. Like the heroine of Tar Beach, Cassie Louise Lightfoot, we then drew ourselves flying over somewhere in Wichita, in Kansas, in the United States or in the world which if we flew over it would become ours. To connect to Kwanzaa and to honor Ringgold's African-American heritage, we framed our marker drawings with strips that we printed with Adrinka symbols.

message 4: by Marcia (last edited Feb 21, 2010 01:15PM) (new)

Marcia Scurfield | 7 comments Lois Ehlert books look like they were created to be "Art Starters" These primary students' tempera paint and oil pastel paintings were inspired by "Snowballs"

message 5: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Scurfield | 7 comments Drawing and creating is an effective way to learn all kinds of concepts. I just submitted 533 drawings and paintings to the Great Plains Nature Center's book-making project: Kansas Critters: BUGS! A Wildlife Book Written and Illustrated by Kansas Kids.

Most of the artworks aren't posted yet to our Artsonia gallery, but here's a few of them:

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Mulcahy | 51 comments This art work is amazing and I love how they are integrated with the story. I can't wait to share this thread with my teachers.

In one of my schools, we had a project where we took some of the children's art and created cards with the images. I love that you posted them and the families can just download them. You don't have the expanse of printing them.

I agree with you Chandra. There is something so heart warming about children's art.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Mulcahy | 51 comments Abigail wrote: "Thanks for starting a separate thread, Marcia! This is a great topic, but can probably be explored more fully outside of the Welcome thread.

ETA: I've posted a link, over in that thread, so people..."

Thank you so much for setting up this separate thread. It is a wonderful subject.

message 8: by Marcia (last edited Feb 24, 2010 08:15PM) (new)

Marcia Scurfield | 7 comments Thanks all, my job has it's frustrating moments, but is full of rewards too. Kansas Critters: BUGS! are done (they were being judged today) and we've moved on to the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver.

Any literature links you can send me?

Thanks to you Suzanne for asking the question that started this thread.

message 9: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) | 45 comments I taught art once using Teaching Art With Books Kids Love: Teaching Art Appreciation, Elements of Art, and Principles of Design With Award-Winning Children's Books as a reference and the kids loved it! They created some beautiful art!

message 10: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Scurfield | 7 comments Bernadette wrote: "I taught art once using Teaching Art With Books Kids Love: Teaching Art Appreciation, Elements of Art, and Principles of Design With Award-Winning Children's Books as a reference and ..."

Thanks so much for this reference--I will definitely check into it.

message 12: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna | 19 comments I feel that books on all the academic drawing styles were covered great in the posts above, so I will add my two cents on popular culture:
My children loved Manga Mania Magical Girls and Friends: How to Draw the Super-Popular, Action-Fantasy Characters of Manga Manga Mania Magical Girls and Friends How to Draw the Super-Popular, Action-Fantasy Characters of Manga by Christopher Hart Manga Mania Shoujo: How to Draw the Charming and Romantic Characters of Japanese Comics Manga Mania Shoujo How to Draw the Charming and Romantic Characters of Japanese Comics (Manga Mania) by Christopher Hart Manga Mania: How to Draw Japanese Comics Manga Mania How to Draw Japanese Comics (Manga Mania) by Christopher Hart Drawing Cutting Edge Comics by Christopher Hart Drawing Cutting Edge Comics by Christopher Hart Drawing Faeries: A Believer's Guide Drawing Faeries A Believer's Guide by Christopher Hart Human Anatomy Made Amazingly EasyThey are fefinitely not academic, but the hours of entertainment derived from these were a legion!!!!!!!!
Graphic novels, anime and manga are so popular with children today - I found the bookes mentioned above a great way to help children master the art of basic drawing in these styles. Originally I bought books by several authors but children asked for more by Christopher Hart, saying that his were the best.