Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

Newbery 2011 > Worth Mentioning

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 535 comments Mod
I finished One Crazy Summer and it was very good. The Newbery Committee is sure to take a good look at it.

message 2: by Kristen (new)

I created a list on goodreads listopia.

Vote and watch others vote for the books that may win a Newbery in 2011.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/45...

message 3: by Kristen (new)

I really liked A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home. I loved the art throughout the book, the Newbery committee won't really look at the art, but it was a pretty good story. It's one I think the committee will want to take a look at.

message 4: by Kristen (last edited Mar 04, 2010 03:24PM) (new)

I finished The Wish Stealers by Tracy Trivas. It was interesting but am undecided if it is a future Newbery. I am leaning toward "no" but you never know what the Newbery committee will say. Still it was entertaining. Has anyone else read it?

message 5: by Kristen (new)

I liked The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz not sure that it is a future Newbery. Although I liked the writing style. It had a little Miss Hickory feel to it.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula Roberts | 1 comments I love Miss Hickory!I will look for The Night Fairy.

message 7: by Lana (new)

Lana Krumwiede | 16 comments I just finished One Crazy Summer and I think it will definitely be a contender. Well written, great characters, an original take on the race troubles of the late 60's. (Although I never did figure out the exact year of the setting.)

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 66 comments I am not a Gary Paulsen fan but I LOVED Woods Runner. Loved it.

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly | 30 comments Kathy wrote: "I am not a Gary Paulsen fan but I LOVED Woods Runner. Loved it."

I liked Woods Runner, too. I could hardly put it down.

message 10: by Kristen (new)

I have heard a lot about Woods Runner. I can't wait to read it.

message 11: by Lana (new)

Lana Krumwiede | 16 comments I just read Woods Runner it is very compelling. I liked the nonfiction parts sprinkled throughout. I thought they made the story more interesting but they were not so long as to bog the story down.

Spoiler Alert! Stop reading now if you don't want to know what happens . . .

I have to say I was disappointed at how easily he found his parents once he got to the city. I was expecting him to struggle a bit more, being out of his element and not knowing how to proceed. But that's just me.

I did love the story and it seems to be a Newbery contender.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 84 comments I too really enjoyed the Woods Runner, and especially liked that he did not gloss over some of the terrible parts of war. I also liked that he alternated each chapter with some non-fiction that helped to bring the story alive, a unique style. I agree it may be a book that could be considered a Newberry contender.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kathleena) | 34 comments I'm reading Woods Runner now and I'm hooked. I like the historical bits too, but in some ways I find them distracting.

message 14: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 45 comments I just finished this book too. I like that the historical notes are before each chapter. I think it will make it easier for some kids to read and understand. Sometimes kids don't bother reading the historical notes at the end of a book.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie | 11 comments Did anyone else have trouble figuring out who One Crazy Summer was written for? It's one of those books that I know a lot of adults I could hand it to who would probably really get into it, but I can't think of any younger patrons I would recommend it to. Definitely interesting, and there was some really lovely language, but I felt it might be one of those books that adults love and kids don't really know what to do with, if that makes sense.

message 16: by Kristen (last edited Apr 22, 2010 06:24PM) (new)

I just finished Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. I really liked it. It was well written and thought provoking. Has anyone else read it?

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 45 comments I just read A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home I loved the pictures, and the character of Celeste. But I found the message of preservation too overwhelming. I just don't think it rings true for a story that takes place 200 years ago.

The Reading Countess (thereadingcountess) | 2 comments I have. What an amazing book! http://blogs.katyisd.org/talfonsin/20...

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 84 comments Kristen wrote: "I finished The Wish Stealers by Tracy Trivas. It was interesting but am undecided if it is a future Newbery. I am leaning toward "no" but you never know what the New..."
I just finished the Wish Stealers today and really liked it. I too am undecided if it may be a future Newbery, but think it could be a contender? Surprised it is her first novel, a great start, and I really liked the quotes at the end of each chapter.

message 20: by Dana (last edited Apr 30, 2010 05:56AM) (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 45 comments I just finished One Crazy Summer.I really liked this book. I thought the author did a great job of showing different perspectives within an ethnic group.

message 21: by Kristen (last edited Apr 30, 2010 06:54AM) (new)

Dana wrote: "I just finished One Crazy Summer.I really liked this book. I thought the author did a great job of showing different perspectives within an ethnic group."

Well said.

message 22: by June (new)

June Morgan | 29 comments In my opinion at this point, One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia and Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper are definite contenders.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

I finished Woods Runner and I liked it. I think it is more suited for 5th and 6th grades, as it is a little violent but a great representation of war.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 84 comments Kristen wrote: "I just finished Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. I really liked it. It was well written and thought provoking. Has anyone else read it?"
kristen,i just finished this and absolutely loved it. It reads beautifully and makes the topic of being a disabled child not only approachable, but raises issues that will resonate with any young adult. I think definite Newbery contender.

The Reading Countess (thereadingcountess) | 2 comments Kristin,
Out of My Mindhas been one of my favorites this year. What a fabulous book that will surely spur a lot of discussion if read aloud.

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen | 11 comments Has anyone read Willowood? We just recieved our library's copy and it looks promising.

message 27: by Kristen (new)

Karen wrote: "Has anyone read Willowood? We just recieved our library's copy and it looks promising."

How was Willowood Karen?

I read Star in the Forest by Laura Resau and it was charming. I didn't know what to expect with such a difficult topic but I felt it was written very well.

message 28: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kathleena) | 34 comments I really liked Willowood. I like Star in the Forest too, but I objected to the end notes.

message 29: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 45 comments I think I may be the only who did not like the book Out of My Mind I thought the school and the psychologist were just too vilified. I also thought the mother's courageous moments were a little over the top.
Anyway, I just read Will Grayson, Will Grayson (speaking of over the top) and loved it. It's such a great "character" story. May not be to everyone's liking, and certainly more a Printz book than a Newbery.

message 30: by Donalyn (new)

Donalyn | 7 comments This week's #kidlitchat on Twitter discussed many of the award worthy titles that authors, librarians, and teachers are reading. If you use Twitter, you can read the transcript of the chat by following the hashtag.

Some titles that I think are Newbery worthy (many of them already listed here)

Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Countdown by Deborah Wiles
The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan
The Water Seeker by Kimberly Willis Holt

message 31: by Karen (last edited Jun 30, 2010 02:17PM) (new)

Karen | 11 comments Kristen wrote: "Karen wrote: "Has anyone read Willowood? We just recieved our library's copy and it looks promising."

How was Willowood Karen?

I read Star in the Forest by [auth..."

Well, the premise of [book:Willowood|6620464] is good and it's written to the right age-group- sweet story- but it wasn't particularly Newberry-worthy. I still think Leaving Gee's Bend has been my favorite so far. My issue with One Crazy Summer is that I think it is what adults feel is Newberry-worthy and not necessarily what appeals to kids.

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 66 comments I havent read

The Water Seeker yet but will move it up! I agree with the the other three titles, especially The Dreamer.

message 33: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 45 comments I am reading My Life with the Lincolns and The Red Umbrella. These are both historical books that take place in the 1960s. Red Umbrella deals with the 1959 Cuban Revolution and a family that decides to send two children, 14 and 7 to the United States alone.
Lincoln is a story about a girl who is convinced her family is the Lincolns reincarnated. Set in 1966, the civil rights movement plays a big role too.
I've only just started them, but they both are good so far.

message 34: by June (new)

June Morgan | 29 comments Another book that takes place at that same time is COUNTDOWN by Deborah Wiles. It is a wonderful historical fiction book. Deborah deals with the Cuban Missle Crisis.

message 35: by Lana (new)

Lana Krumwiede | 16 comments Hmmm. Looks like there is a lot of great historical fiction coming out this year. I just finished Leaving Gee's Bend and enjoyed it. I could see it being considered for the Newbery.

I've heard good things about Countdown and recently checked it out from the Library. It's slowly rising to the top of my TBR pile.

message 36: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 45 comments I've now finished The Red Umbrellaand think it is great. I hope more people read it. It provided a good perspective on what it must have been like for these kids who were uprooted from their homes (in Cuba) and sent to a foreign country (America).

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wilsman | 35 comments Kristen wrote: "I just finished Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. I really liked it. It was well written and thought provoking. Has anyone else read it?"

I loved it and have been urging everyone to read it...

message 38: by June (new)

June Morgan | 29 comments I absolutely totally agree. I read it aloud to my middle school academic camp. Now, it is going around the group being read. Others I like include One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia and As Easy as Falling off the Face of the Earth.

message 39: by Lana (new)

Lana Krumwiede | 16 comments I have to say I was pretty impressed with Countdown. I think the "documentary novel" format was a fascinating new way to present historical fiction. I imagine we'll see more of this kind of "hybrid" format in the future. I also envision many possibilities with historical fiction ebooks and documentary information.

However, I'm not sure if the writing itself is Newbery worthy. It's good, mind you, but is it great? If you take away the visual material added to the text, does the language and the theme and the character blow me away? Erm . . . no.

So I'm not sure on this one. Maybe an honor book?

message 40: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 45 comments June wrote: "I absolutely totally agree. I read it aloud to my middle school academic camp. Now, it is going around the group being read. Others I like include One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia and As Ea..."

I've just started
As Easy as Falling Off the Face of the Earthit's reminding me of Holesa bit. I'm really enjoying it.

message 41: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimdare) | 11 comments I just finished Deborah Wiles' Countdown and have got to say I think this could be the Newbery. There have been a few mentions of it on group's posts, but not a lot... what do the rest of you think?

message 42: by Kristen (new)

Kim wrote: "I just finished Deborah Wiles' Countdown and have got to say I think this could be the Newbery. There have been a few mentions of it on group's posts, but not a lot... what do the r..."

I'm so excited it's next on my list.

message 43: by Dana (last edited Aug 22, 2010 08:04AM) (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 45 comments I loved Countdown. It did a great job of showing the fear that children and adults felt at the time. I also think it is a great parallel for today's climate regarding the Middle East and Muslims.

message 44: by Benji (last edited Aug 23, 2010 11:10AM) (new)

Benji Martin | 52 comments Has anyone read Green? So far I like it. I'm not sure if it's Newbery material though.

message 45: by Kristen (new)

Scumble the sequel to Savvy was (I think) just as good as the first one. Has anyone else read it?

message 46: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kathleena) | 34 comments I'm half way through Scumble. I like it, but it's just a fun read, not a contender.

message 47: by Library (new)

Library Maven (libmaven) | 17 comments I also enjoyed SCUMBLE, but I don't think it qualifies as a contender.

message 48: by Kristen (new)

I thought The Dreamer was charming. I really liked it.

message 49: by Lana (new)

Lana Krumwiede | 16 comments Kristen, I'm with you. I fell in love the The Dreamer. This is clearly a stand-out book.

message 50: by David (last edited Oct 03, 2010 08:12AM) (new)

David | 26 comments I still need to read a number of possible contenders, including Mockingjay, The Wish Stealer, Woods Runner, Nest For Celeste, & many more.

Based on books I've read, my favorites so far are The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan, Countdown by Deborah Wiles, One Crazy Summer, A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner, The Boneshaker by Kate Milford, and Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm, very roughly in that order.

« previous 1