Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Movies & TV > Have You Seen The Movie Powder?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6570 comments Mod
I like this movie. I have gone to the movies to see it. I've finally have gotten my own copy last year.

The guy that plays Powder is Sean Patrick Flanery. Wow!

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7311 comments Mod
My sister loves that movie and SPF. I haven't been able to watch it yet.

message 3: by Arch , Mod (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "My sister loves that movie and SPF. I haven't been able to watch it yet."

I like the movie too.

Danielle, the guy that plays Powder and I have something in common. Check your email.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7311 comments Mod
Got it!

message 5: by Arch , Mod (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Got it! "

:)

message 6: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I have. I've seen ALL of Sean Patrick Flannery's movies. He is one of my favorite actors. He's also from my neck of the woods, Houston. Gotta give love to a fellow Texan. He's a wonderful actor but he's very underrated in my opinion. For someone with his skills and good looks and who has been around as long as he has, he should be up there with the likes of so-called big name movie stars.

Also, I had to watch Powder anyway because I'm a HUGE Jeff Goldblum fan too. So I got too hotties for the price of one with this one, LOL. I gotta be honest, didn't like Powder very much. It was kind of boring but the acting was good. I wouldn't have watched it if SPF or Goldblum hadn't been in it so that should tell you something, LOL.

I wish SPF could get out of the B-movie zone but, sometimes that's how things work out. I find the best actors are some of the ones who never made it mainstream.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 7: by Arch , Mod (new)

Sean Patrick Flannery born in my neck of the woods, Louisiana.

I didn't know he played Powder.

I will always remember Jeff Goldblum as The Fly.

I agree with you Stacy-Deanne, some of the best actors are the ones that isn't in the spotlight.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Stacy-Deanne wrote: "I have. I've seen ALL of Sean Patrick Flannery's movies. He is one of my favorite actors. He's also from my neck of the woods, Houston. Gotta give love to a fellow Texan. He's a wonderful actor but..."

SPF is definitely in the B-movie zone. But as long as he's happy, I'm happy. I'm pretty disenchanted with the Hollywood A-List actor system (for the most part) anyway.

message 9: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Feb 23, 2010 04:40PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Arch,

You might be right on the born part. He was raised and brought up in Houston though. I read his bio one time and where he went to school. So he's still part Texan, LOL.

Danielle,

The Hollywood A-list thing is a joke to me too. You got people like Tom Cruise who can't even act being world famous and getting roles, enough said. Tom Cruise got lucky in the 80's. Teenage girls liked how he looked and that's what started his career. As far as acting, please. To me, I don't see the big deal. Tom's looks never did much for me. I don't like the "boyish" look. He looks like a little boy even now, LOL. I admit, I like some of Tom's films but because of the co-stars, not him. I liked Jerry Maguire because I LOVE Regina King and I like Cuba Gooding Jr. (when he's in a good movie). If RK hadn't been in that movie I wouldn't have watched it.

I watched Top Gun because of Val Kilmer, Barry Tubb and all those other cuties. Cruise looked good, yeah, but I didn't watch that movie because of him. Same thing with Days of Thunder. I watched that because I love Robert Duvall and I like Nicole Kidman. Same with Far and Away and any other TC movie I've watched, LOL! I only watched them because other folks were in there that I liked. Sorry if there's any Tom Cruise fans here but I do not and never had thought he was a good actor. He's eye candy and he has a darn good eye of picking roles (at least he used to.) Tom's looks put him on the map.

There are a lot of good-looking actors and actresses who can act but not many these days. Another thing that pissed me off about Hollywood is the Academy Awards. When they gave Halle Berry an award for Best Actress (who can't act her way out of a paper bag), but passed on ALL those other great black actresses before her...please. I was through with Hollywood, LOL! My favorite black actress is Angela Bassett and if she didn't win for playing Tina Turner then NO BLACK actress should have won the AA for Best Actress to me. And like I said, let's not forget all the other black actresses from generations before who deserved the award. Halle Berry, please. Another thing that proves Hollywood is only about looks. HB cannot act, I'm sorry. She might be a nice person but she can't act to me, LOL!.

Hollywood used to get it right sometimes but not anymore. So that's why a lot of good actors are in the B-zone. The same with music and books. Some of the best authors and singers NEVER get the props they deserve. In music today, it's about who twists their butt the most and wears the most weave and less clothes in R&B these days. That's why I only listen to Old School now. It might be before my time but the music today can't compare.

You brought up a good point, Danielle. I could talk about that all day, LOL.

Best Wishes!

message 10: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Feb 23, 2010 04:54PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I haven't seen Powder in years but I remember it was filmed in Houston and other surrounding areas in Texas. I saw it when it first came out in 1995 and haven't seen it since so I don't remember all that happen in the movie. I remember it was too slow in parts but the acting was good.

Best Wishes!

message 11: by Arch , Mod (new)

I think that Halle Berry is a good actress. She did a good job to me in Losing Isaiah, Gothika and Perfect Stranger.

message 12: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Stacy - Deanne, regarding TC and Halle Berry I couldn't agree with you more.

I used to have a teenager's crush on Tom Cruise back in the day. Nowadays I can't even bear to look at him sometimes, and like you I watch many of his films for the other actors in it, not because of him.

Some months ago when I just joined this group I expressed the same sentiment you did regarding Halle and I was really taken to task for it. It's not that I need validation for my opinion, but its nice nonetheless that you've stepped forward with the same feelings I have for her ability. She's certainly beautiful to look at and no doubt a beautiful person as well, but I've never thought she could act worth a dime.

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

Davina wrote: "Stacy - Deanne, regarding TC and Halle Berry I couldn't agree with you more.

I used to have a teenager's crush on Tom Cruise back in the day. Nowadays I can't even bear to look at him sometimes..."

Who came against your opinion of Halle?

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1380 comments I for one don't believe Halle is a great actress, I think she is a competent one, but then I don't think a lot of Hollywood actors are that great either. The only actor who really makes me feel like I am watching someone who knows their craft is Daniel Day Lewis. Every single role I have seen him in he has simply become the character, and DDL the person, just simply disappears. It is wild! Johnny Depp comes a close second.

I actually really like Halle, though. And I do believe she deserved her Oscar. And she didn't just win the Oscar that year. Like Mo'Nique this year, Halle cleaned up at a lot of the pre-Oscar awards and was named best actress by a most of the critics awards that year. Given who her competition was that year and the fact that she did something transformative in a really well written role, yeah i think she did deserve it.

I do remember there being a LOT of sentiment like the one Stacey-Dean mentions here around the time Halle won that somehow, Angela was more deserving to win the first Black Actress Oscar, but I actually disagree. I adored Angela Bassett at the time, but really it wasn't her time and Holly Hunter walked away with Angela's Oscar, not Halle. For the record, i do think Angela got robbed because The Piano was just a dreary film. And truthfully, Dorothy Dandrige was the first black actress robbed of her Oscar. She was much better in Carmen than Grace Kelly was in Country Girl, imo.

But then Angela went and did something that just made me sigh, she gave a widely publicized interview where she said she turned down the role in Monsters' Ball because she didn't want to play a whore and she obliquely criticized Halle for doing it. It really rubbed some of the sheen off of her for me. The whole interview came off as very sour grapey.

My feeling is that most actors fall into the competent/solid category. Very, very few fall into the good or great category. Most of the time you get people who shine when there is a convergence of a great role and a great director and they are able to inhabit the role well. But very, very few can translate it across multiple, varying roles, I feel.

I think the big stars are the people who have charisma, charm and likeability. They aren't necessarily great, but you want to watch them in stuff. I honestly believe the best actors aren't the big stars.

message 15: by Arch , Mod (new)

Angela was wrong for throwing red paint on Halle in an interview. I've never really seen Monster Ball, but a minute of it and Halle and Billy Bob's character was talking in a room. I've changed the channel. So, I don't know what all Halle did in that movie.

I don't know what all Angela played in, but I have seen her in some scifi movie years ago. I've only see like five minutes of it. Didn't care for the movie.

She was good in Waiting To Exhale and I've seen a little of Meets The Browns, which I didn't like.

So, I don't know too much about Angela's acting. But, in my opinion, she wouldn't have looked right in all the movies that Halle has played on.

Is Monster Ball, the movie where Halle showed her breasts? If so, I remember reading where Angela said that she turned down the role, because she wasn't didn't want to show her breasts. Which, I wouldn't either, but a lot of black actresses show their breasts and more.

message 16: by Ana (new)

Ana (smackdownqueen) | 1 comments Tina wrote: "I for one don't believe Halle is a great actress, I think she is a competent one, but then I don't think a lot of Hollywood actors are that great either. The only actor who really makes me feel ..."

Tina:

I think your comments were well written. I thought you expressed your opinion very well. I agree with your comments.

Ana