Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Unwritten Historical Book You Want to Read

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
I think we've all got some idea in our mind of a book we'd like to read -- it just hasn't been written yet. This is particularly true for we history lovers. What book would you love to read ... if only someone would write it?

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm going to start with some of the figures in the history of the church. Peter's wife comes to mind. And Mary, the mother of Jesus.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Boaz...we usually get Ruth's story, but never Boaz's perspective on things. I think that would be an interesting one.

message 4: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, I would like to know what Boaz was thinking.

message 5: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I would love to read some books from history from the civil war era maybe the wife of general Jackson or general lee.
Or someone who was involved in the underground railway.

message 6: by Carla (new)

Carla Capshaw (carlacapshaw) | 987 comments Mod
I've always wanted to know more about Joseph - Jesus's earthly father. I think he must have been stellar for God to trust him with His Son.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Carla wrote: "I've always wanted to know more about Joseph - Jesus's earthly father. I think he must have been stellar for God to trust him with His Son."

ooo! Good one!

message 8: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny wrote: "I would love to read some books from history from the civil war era maybe the wife of general Jackson or general lee.
Or someone who was involved in the underground railway.
"

I'd definitely like to know more about the underground railway.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments As far as Biblical characters, someday I would love to know more about Lois, Timothy's gradmother. She is described as having a strong, vibrant faith that was passed down to her daughter Eunice and later her grandson.
Janet and Jenny, I love the Underground railroad also, and have read some good fiction and non-fiction books about it. My interest comes from having some Quaker relatives in past generations who may have been involved in it, and also from living in Indiana, where it was very active. More books dealing with that would be marvelous!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Barbara wrote: "As far as Biblical characters, someday I would love to know more about Lois, Timothy's gradmother. She is described as having a strong, vibrant faith that was passed down to her daughter Eunice and..."

That's really neat! No wonder you would want to know more.

message 11: by Carla (new)

Barbara wrote: "As far as Biblical characters, someday I would love to know more about Lois, Timothy's gradmother. She is described as having a strong, vibrant faith that was passed down to her daughter Eunice and..."

***Barbara, that's very interesting. Have you ever done a family history to learn more about your relatives specifically?

message 12: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments You know I think it would be interesting knowing the story behind the wife of Noah.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments Carla wrote: "Barbara wrote: "As far as Biblical characters, someday I would love to know more about Lois, Timothy's gradmother. She is described as having a strong, vibrant faith that was passed down to her dau..."

Carla, yes, I have done a little geneology work; it can be very interesting. I found out one of my relatives seems to have been actively opposed to slavery; he was disinherited by his father, who was a rich slave owner in Georgia, because his religious beliefs wouldn't allow him to own slaves, but I haven't been able to find out if he worked to free them or not.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Barbara wrote: "Carla wrote: "Barbara wrote: "As far as Biblical characters, someday I would love to know more about Lois, Timothy's gradmother. She is described as having a strong, vibrant faith that was passed d..."

That's so cool! I know a little bit about my relatives. All I know is that there is a little town in Ireland named after us. My parents went there a few years ago for their anniversary and went to that part of the country, but didn't have enough time to look into anything like they wanted. One of these days, I'm gonna do it myself!

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Guess that's why i've always kind of liked books set in Ireland! :D

message 16: by JanetTronstad (new)

Barbara and Jennifer -- I'd love to read (or write) books about my ancestors. One seems like it has been written several times (my grandfather's mother was a devout Quaker married to a bad cowboy type -- sound familiar? In her case, there was no HEA as he left her with several little children to raise on her own).

message 17: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I would love to find a convict in my tree! But thats the aussie side of me. My cousin has done alot of the finding relatives. (dont have much contact with her) but we found out mums grandfather was born in Scotland but was actually Irish. they left Ireland cos of the potato famine and first to scotland then onto australia.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Barbara and Jennifer -- I'd love to read (or write) books about my ancestors. One seems like it has been written several times (my grandfather's mother was a devout Quaker married to a bad cowboy t..."

I think i've read that story!! :D I think it would be fun to write about your ancestors.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I would love to find a convict in my tree! But thats the aussie side of me. My cousin has done alot of the finding relatives. (dont have much contact with her) but we found out mums grandfather was..."

A convict? LOL you would

message 20: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments If you were an aussie you would too. Most of the Irish who were transported to Australia were not real convicts they often had only stolen a loaf of bread or something even less to feed there family. Alot were sent because of the English oppression. I dont want a bad one!

message 21: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny -- I've heard that. I think a story of your adopted ancestor (you can always adopt one, can't you?) would be great.

message 22: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Yes it would be cool. The way they were treated is shameful and in reality you wouldn't want that to happen to anyone but on the other hand it is alot of these convicts that made Australia the country it is. Many stayed and went on to farm the land and put alot into the country.
I have to say My state South Australia is the only state to be settled by Free settlers we never had convicts here.

message 23: by Carla (new)

I would love to have a convict in my family tree, too. lol

message 24: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm just thinking -- I come from Viking stock so I probably had a bad guy or two in my family tree. I guess they weren't considered convicts though -- more plunderers (if there is such a word).

message 25: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm wondering if anyone knows about the time in English history when convicted criminals could be freed if a woman wed them -- there's a book to that effect and I've always thought it was a great romantic set-up, but I can't find enough tag words to find out more about it.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments I think they had to upstanding women in society too. I know that they shipped alot of criminals to america in the 1600's and 1700's to be free of them so that they could save on the cost of keeping them in jail. Most would become slaves in America or indentured servants.

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie | 40 comments Janet,
Could you be thinking of Vickie McDonough's Wagon Load of Trouble? I seem to recall it having a similar theme.

message 28: by Vickie (new)

Vickie McDonough | 7 comments I did write a book where the heroine had to marry to avoid a long jail sentence. It was a Heartsong book called Straight For the Heart. It was part of my North Dakota trilogy. The three books have been packaged together and will release on April 1st in a book called Wildflower Hearts.

message 29: by JanetTronstad (new)

Vickie -- thanks for stopping in and letting us know that. Great to have you here. Sit down and stay a while if you can.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Vickie wrote: "I did write a book where the heroine had to marry to avoid a long jail sentence. It was a Heartsong book called Straight For the Heart. It was part of my North Dakota trilogy. The three books have ..."

ooooh! I read that one and really like it!