Climate Change, Environment and Ecology discussion

What does your religion say about environment?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb Rudnick | 1 comments I really like this article about how Judaism (my faith) addresses our relationship with nature. I still think what most people take away from the old testament is a feeling of ownership and dominion over the natural world. This article tells us there is much more to be found in our teachings about how we should interact with our fellow biological community. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/j...

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Kroes (ken_kroes) | 1 comments What I find interesting is that most religions have the "Golden Rule", essentially do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.

If you hit a car in a parking lot and nobody is around, you leave a note with your contact information since you would hope that if someone hit your car they would do the same.

So.. Why does this rule not appear to apply to our children? Why do we feel it is okay to pollute and over consume, using up valuable natural resources when we certainly don't want others to do this to us? Take water in California as an example. People are complaining because someone else is using "thier water", yet at the same time they are damaging the aquifers that our children will want to use.

Doesn't make much sense if you ask me...

Ken :)