Farewell to Manzanar: A True Story of Japanese American Experience During and After the World War II Internment Farewell to Manzanar discussion

Life in the new World (Ms 104 All Join and Students Makes Good Teachers)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (last edited Feb 20, 2010 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan This story talks about the way Jeanne, a Jappanese girl, lived in 1942 in Ammerica during the time when Japan and America are enemies. Jeanne's father always makes decisions for her. As a young girl, she dislike the decisions her father made for her, but realises those decisions her father made were good decisionsthat she couldn't understand whenshe was little.This is a memoir. (IRB for January)
INTENDED AUDIENCE
I recommend this book to children 10-13 years old. This book helps them learn about a life of a Japanese person in 1492 living in America. I also would recommend this book to those like reading memoirs and about other people’s lives. This book can go to people who love history. That is because this book has history and tells about Jeanne’s life. This is my recommendation for this book.

message 2: by Susan (last edited Feb 20, 2010 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan Susan Tan 1/18/09
791 English

Title: Farewell to Manzanar
Author: Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston and James D. Houston
Genre: Memoir
Date started:
Date completed:

Jeanne tells about her life in America in 1942 when America was happening war with Japan. Jeanne’s family is Japanese living in America; in this time (1942) Japan people weren’t given rights to be citizens of America. Japanese people were treated like aliens. Jeanne‘s father was captured for giving oil for Japan, her family wasn’t save without her father or had money. They had to move 2 times. Jeanne was age 7 and her family live in a camp; Mananar. The food was bad, the house was cramped, and the conditions were bad. Jeanne’s family tried to stick together as a whole. When Jeanne’s father came back, the conditions got even worse not better. He started abusing the mother, cursing a lot, and drinking. Thins later started to get better when Jeanne’s family lived at Block 28 in the camp. There were more room, apple trees, and the house is better. Jeanne attends school and made a friend, Radine at age 11, they became close friends. When Jeanne was a grown up, she visits Manzanar with her new family (her husband and her 2 kids), she known the whole thing was real.
Jeanne Wakatsuki wants to be treated her everyone else. She is nice and caring, but not much people treat her with respect. That’s because she’s Japanese. Jeanne also wants her father to understand her and let her make her decisions for herself. Jeanne’s papa always yells his children not to what he doesn’t want them to do. When Jeanne was little she wanted to go to a Christianity church, but papa didn’t let her, she was too young. Jeanne finally understands her papa when she grows up and how he affected her life so much. Jeanne’s father only meant good for her. Jeanne‘s father took military class when he was little. He still hadn’t gotten over telling people what to do. He was always prepared and makes decisions for his 10 children. Jeanne’s papa really does care about his children even though he can get very mad.
A memorable scene from the story was when Jeanne revisits Manzanar. It is a memorable scene because she got to see how her life was back then, how Manzanar and her papa changed her life. Manzanar is like a home to her and her family. It was the place where everything started and grew out.
I think this book was okay because it shows Jeanne’s life changing. Jeanne founded how true self. It was very interesting to see how the life was for a Japanese person to live in America in 1492. I for one didn’t know about how Japanese were treated in America back then. This was a very good book overall.
I recommend this book to children 10-13 years old. This book helps them learn about a life of a Japanese person in 1492 living in America. I also would recommend this book to those like reading memoirs and about other people’s lives. This book can go to people who love history. That is because this book has history and tells about Jeanne’s life. This is my recommendation for this book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It was way to overrated, the reviews. I had to much hope in the book but when I read it was so basic I was so disapointed. oh well..