Outlander Series discussion

miscellaneous > Funny Moments

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scare (new)

Scare | 30 comments Probably my favorite funny moment is the wedding between Marsali and Fergus. No matter how many times I read it, I find it hilarious.

message 2: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) That wedding scene is hilarious. I also think Ian's mistaken understanding of who Claire is in Voyager is pretty funny. Another thing I think is funny, but isn't ha ha funny -- is Claire's pull to Jaime in the beginning of Outlander and she thinks it is just because she is older and a medical care provider and she wants to make sure she is okay -- but really she is attracted to him.

Oh and anytime Jenny and Jaimie fight -- I think it is funny.

Oh -- sorry -- when Jaimie admits to Claire in Outlander (when they are at Lollybroch) that he married her for love -- that scene is funny.

message 3: by Scare (new)

Scare | 30 comments I agree--anytime Jenny and Jamie fight is funny. I think that DG does a great job writing those scenes!

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments Just got my copy of Outlander back after lending it out to my Mom. I must say it was like a long lost child being returned to me. It feels so good to have it back in my hands.
Sick I know!!!!
It is now where it belongs next to my bed!

message 5: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Kelly wrote: "Just got my copy of Outlander back after lending it out to my Mom. I must say it was like a long lost child being returned to me. It feels so good to have it back in my hands.
Sick I know!!!!
I..."

Lmao, we are all the same. Truly... Oh well, a little chemical imbalance makes life interesting...

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sweetredhead) | 30 comments Regina wrote: "I'm re-reading DOA and came across one of my fave funny moments where I laughed out loud. FYI...spoiler if you haven't read DOA!!......

So the part is in chapter 15 called Noble Savages when Jamie fights the bear and Claire "helps" by using a fish as a weapon. The visual is hysterical!
'"Is that your blood, or the bear's?" "If it was mine Sassenach I'd be dead," he said testily, opening his eyes. "No credit to you that I'm not, mind." He rolled painfully onto his side and slowly got to his hands and knees, groaning. "What possessed ye, woman, to hit me in the heid wi' a fish whilst I was fighting for my life?"

I giggled outloud when I read the fish scene. My husband was trying to sleep in bed next to me and my jolting the bed with my stiffled laugh was annoying him but I couldn't help it. Still makes me chuckle when I think about it.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 141 comments I love the scene where Jamie confesses that he married Claire for love. That is one of my favorite parts in the whole series.

There are so many LOL moments in these books!

message 8: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I love that scene too -- whenever he is "making fun" (but not really, it is more like he is complimenting) her "arse".

I also love love love (but it isn't funny) the idea of Jamie and Claire just spending all day in bed together during the winter, talking, planning and dreaming -- when the first moved to North Carolina.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments Samantha wrote: "I love the scene where Jamie confesses that he married Claire for love. That is one of my favorite parts in the whole series.

There are so many LOL moments in these books!"

:-)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Regina wrote: "I'm re-reading DOA and came across one of my fave funny moments where I laughed out loud. FYI...spoiler if you haven't read DOA!!......

So the part is in chapter 15 called Noble Savages whe..."
That was funny, and the description of Jamie smelling of bear piss!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Any time Jamie starts to get "romantic" by commenting on Claire's "great round arse" or whatever, that just slays me. Honestly!! I can't imagine that going over well as a compliment now days.

message 12: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) LOL -- my hubby says it all the time -- just a little differently. :)

message 13: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Mobrivw wrote: "Any time Jamie starts to get "romantic" by commenting on Claire's "great round arse" or whatever, that just slays me. Honestly!! I can't imagine that going over well as a compliment now days."

Hi Mobrivw and all the native English speakers of these threads! Your message reminded me of something I had been curious of since reading the Outlander series: How do you feel about the expressions like "arse" and the famous 4-letter-word when they are used in quite friendly and even "romantic" and intimate situations? We do not know for sure how they would have talked on these occasions in the 18th century (or do we?), but Roger quite freely expresses his feelings in this vein with Brianna, and so does she.

In the Outlandish Companion DG reacts to people commenting about these terms. I can't find the page now and do hope I remember correctly: She knows how people in the late 1960s talked and all her children knew these words, though not using them. So do and am I, both in English and German. But I found out there is a diffenrence. Reading all these thousands of wonderful pages, I was only slightly wondering about their speech. Being curious and wanting to know how they did the German tanslation, however, I checked, and there it simply was not right.

Please remember, I'm not complaining and I do not have any problems with the texts, I'm only curious how you feel about it.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Lotte!
Well, if you're asking whether I find the language offensive- it's all in context. Most English "swear" words are actually just remnamnts of old Saxon or peasant languages...

The "infamous 4 letter word" has many different "histories"- none of which are actually offensive. Some people say it stands for "Fornication Under the Consent of the King"- as in, the reigning Monarch of the time had consented to your marriage. The other, more widespread explanation for that word is that it's just a Saxon term for.. um.. sex. Which is what we still use it for today.

I think most people who are going to read a piece of Historical Fiction, like the Outlander series, will probably be pretty open minded when it comes to use of language we might not use in day to day conversations in our REAL lives.

In summary- I don't find any of the language offensive. Some other people may, but I would hazzard a guess that most of the readers of this series have decided the language isn't enough of a bother to stop them reading onwards! Jamie and Claire are just to exciting to give up over a little odd language here and there! *g*

(Besides which, I know that we swear quite a lot in my house- my husband and I. *lol* We keep a "swear jar" that we have to put money into if we catch eachother.. and that jar has bought us groceries or movie tickets more than once~!!)

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments One moment that always makes me laugh is when Jamie is telling Claire about running from his pursuers through the marketplace and somehow he ends up in a brothel with a sausage in his hand. The following line has me rolling everytime.......

"I'll leave it to you, Sassenach," he said dryly, "to imagine what it feels like to arrive unexpectedly in the midst of a brothel, in possession of a verra large sausage."

message 16: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Oh yes, then, they had the cook, cooked it and they ate it -- that pretty much sealed it for me. LoL

message 17: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Thanks to Mobrivw and Chantal for answering. I think handly anything would stop my reading on this series!
And what I'm learning here, did not know that is goes back as far as the Saxsons and under consent of the King, hm. And Chantal, you put it in far less words than I could manage, that's what I wanted to point out: I don't mind in English, really "sorta quaint", but there is a big difference in my mother tongue!

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (katelai) My two favorite moments that come to mind are....

"I'll leave it to you, Sassenach," he said dryly, "to imagine what it feels like to arrive unexpectedly in the midst of a brothel, in possession of a verra large sausage.”

Aaaand...

"Aye, well, he'll be wed a long time," he said callously. "Do him no harm to keep his breeches on for one night. And they do say that abstinence makes the heart grow firmer, no?”
"Absence," I said, dodging the spoon for a moment. "AND fonder. If anything's growing firmer from abstinence, it wouldn't be his heart."

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori (scholarlyme) | 46 comments Mobrivw wrote: "Hi Lotte!
Well, if you're asking whether I find the language offensive- it's all in context. Most English "swear" words are actually just remnamnts of old Saxon or peasant languages...

The "inf..."

The only language that really bothers me (and it really does bother me) is their casual use of the Lord's name - taking it in vain. I'm not an atheist like Claire, so it's hard to listen (audio version) to them say it, but I try to ignore it and move on. The rest of the vulgar language, is well, just bad language!

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori (scholarlyme) | 46 comments Jessa ♥§♥metalgirl80♥§♥ wrote: "One moment that always makes me laugh is when Jamie is telling Claire about running from his pursuers through the marketplace and somehow he ends up in a brothel with a sausage in his hand. The fo..."

I got a good laugh about this whole scenario, too! And Gabaldon does such a good job of putting the whole picture into our minds!

message 21: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Lori wrote: " I'm not an atheist like Claire..."

Very off topic, but I don't Claire is an atheist. I could be wrong though.

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (katelai) Very off topic, but I don't Claire is an atheist. I could be wrong though."

I am pretty sure she is a relapsed Catholic. I think she was Agnostic when she first ran into Jamie, and since seeing his religious views, has purposely avoided the topic of her own faith. She seems to do this a lot, as a character trait (like how she’d already lost her virginity when she married Frank, how she never told Jamie about Loaghaire trying to kill her, etc).

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 141 comments The language doesn't bother me at all... neither does taking the lord's name in vain (although I am Jewish so the JHRC thing doesn't faze me. The BF does not appreciate my newfound love for saying "JHRC" though!

I love the part in the very beginning where Claire is kneeling on Jamie's chest, too. When she starts cursing and the men are all appalled. Too funny!

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori (scholarlyme) | 46 comments Kate wrote: "Very off topic, but I don't Claire is an atheist. I could be wrong though."

I am pretty sure she is a relapsed Catholic. I think she was Agnostic when she first ran into Jamie, and since seeing h..."

She becomes that way over time, but when she first meets Jamie in Outlander she tells him she's atheist.

message 25: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I don't remember that part... interesting. I remember her saying that her family was technically catholic but that she hadn't spent alot of time in Church to make that a strong conviction. I'll have to go reread again. (I love when life gives me an excuse, haha).

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments I love that Jamie can also laugh at himself. He has a great sense of humor. For example....

"Murtagh was right about women. Sassenach, I risked my life for ye, committing theft, arson, assault, and murder into the bargain. In return for which ye call me names, insult my manhood, kick me in the ballocks and claw my face. Then I beat you half to death and tell ye all the most humiliating things have ever happened to me, and ye say ye love me." He laid his head on his knees and laughed some more. Finally he rose and held out a hand to me, wiping his eyes with the other. "You're no verra sensible, Sassenach, but I like ye fine. Let's go."

message 27: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 141 comments Oh I love that part Jess :) I read that the other day.

message 28: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yep, JHRC is blasphemy to me but I skim over it. I think Claire is a back slidden Catholic LOL. Or maybe she never forward-slid? LOL. Anyway, I hate the JHRC and GD that is used all the time...but you can't go anywhere without hearing either of those nowadays...along with the F word that is used 40 times in a sentence these days. I don't like any of it....but I love OUTLANDER SERIES! I wonder if Buddists would be offended if she said "Budda" in a derogatory way all the time...or if muslim readers would be offended if she said "allah" in a derogatory way.

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori (scholarlyme) | 46 comments Sharonh wrote: "Yep, JHRC is blasphemy to me but I skim over it. I think Claire is a back slidden Catholic LOL. Or maybe she never forward-slid? LOL. Anyway, I hate the JHRC and GD that is used all the time......"

Ditto for me - I couldn't have said it better Sharonh!!

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (katelai) As a fellow curser and supporter of the F-bomb in higher-temperature situations, I think the JHRC is rather tame. Really, in the end, it’s just semantics. It means what you want it to mean.

message 31: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I agree Kate.

message 32: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Thanks Lori....I thought I might get slammed...but this is a warm and loving group!

message 33: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments I still think the funniest scene is when Claire shows Jamie his sperm under the microscope and he wants to know how she got it....and she said "I woke up in custody of them this morning!" I cackled so loud my husband thought I'd lost my mind.

And then Jamie asks her to give them a decent burial when she's through with them. Now that is funny! I just love everything about Jamie....except his lapse when he married Leghair and then when he wanted to see her after she took a lover.

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan Sharonh wrote: "I still think the funniest scene is when Claire shows Jamie his sperm under the microscope and he wants to know how she got it....and she said "I woke up in custody of them this morning!" I cackle..."

lol, if anyone has a page # for that let me know!

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments That is a great one, Sharon! Jamie was dumbfounded when he found out Claire was studying his sperm. Very funny moment!!

Here's another one of my favs....

"Looks as though it was a hard ride, Sassenach," he said, lightly touching a blue bruise on my inner thigh. "A bit saddle-sore, are ye?" I narrowed my eyes and traced a deep bite-mark on his shoulder with my finger. "You look a bit ragged around the edges yourself, my lad."
"Ah,weel,"
he said in broad Scots, "if ye bed wi' a vixen, ye must expect to get bit." He reached up and grasped me behind the neck, pulling me down to him. "Come here to me, vixen. Bite me some more."

message 36: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yeah! I liked that one too Jessa!

I thought of another. .....Roger was frustrated....really frustrated....in other words he was horney and Brianna as usual was having to tend to Jem....she sat on the nursing stool and pulled her shift down to bare a breast and said to Jem "want snackies?"...and Roger said "God, yes! Please!" I nearly peed my pants when I read that. It was so funny and I could just see him when he said it! lol.

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments I'm re-reading Voyager at the moment and I just finished the marriage of Fergus and Marsali officiated by Father Fogden. I'd completely forgotten how funny it is!! It's too long to post here, but it's definitely worth a re-read :)

message 38: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Sharonh wrote: "I still think the funniest scene is when Claire shows Jamie his sperm under the microscope and he wants to know how she got it....and she said "I woke up in custody of them this mor..."

This absolute lovely scene is in TFC, chapter 36 (Worlds unseen), page 560 in the mass-market paperback.

It took me quite some time to find it, because either one of my "markers" for special/important pieces was lost or I did not put one there, on the page just before this scene being a dialogue between Claire and Jamie of how he came to the wound he just had recovered from when they both met. Someone was wondering about this in another thread.

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan Lotte wrote: "Megan aka *Mheghan* wrote: "Sharonh wrote: "I still think the funniest scene is when Claire shows Jamie his sperm under the microscope and he wants to know how she got it....and she said "I woke up..."

Thanks so much!

message 40: by Linda (new)

Linda C | 31 comments Sharonh wrote: "Thanks Lori....I thought I might get slammed...but this is a warm and loving group!"

You were courageous to put something out there that you knew might stir controversy. I've been shot down a couple of times and it does sting. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unfortunately, there are some people on Good Reads that respond in a nasty fashion.

After all, in most cases, we are talking about characters in a book. It doesn't matter what we say about them; they aren't going to know or care; they're not real. LOL

message 41: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments I do not like the JHRC curse either. I tended to skim over it, because it broke my fluency of reading as well; had to check the order of the letters twice to get it right here. Claire got it from a soldier in WWII, I've never met it in any of the books I read. Does it mean anything and is it still in (common) use?

And isn't controversy the salt to any discussion?

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate (katelai) I think Gabaldon chose the JHRC for Claire as a curse phrase of choice so that it would distinguish her for being from the future. There aren’t a lot of curse words or phrases out there that are so distinctive of the 20th century.

Personally, I think the curse is just too long! I am in favor of the nice quick JC or Jamies’ frequent 'Christ'! ;)

message 43: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Linda....thanks! And you are right...they aren't real people but I have to remind myself over and over that they aren't! LOL.

Lotte...yes I agree controversy is the salt to a conversation but it seems nowadays people get really vicious over nothing anymore and jump on any little thing they don't like. I have left many groups because of that very reason....long long long threads of people insulting one another. Not my cup of tea. State my case and move on!

Kate...just my personal convictions here but anything that uses ANY of the names of Jesus Christ in a derogatory fashion...in other words unless His name is used in prayer or talking about Him with utmost respect is offensive to me....but I am a Christian....so there you have it!

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate (katelai) You mean, to take his name in vain, I’m sure you don’t mean derogatory (that probably only covers like 50% of the usage of the word as a curse). I actually wasn’t trying to argue against your opinion, I was just trying to give a good reason as to why Gabaldon has Claire use JHRC as her curse of choice.

Personally, if it didn’t take so long to say, I’d love to use “Darn Flying Spaghetti Monster!!” as my curse of choice! ;)

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan Kate wrote: "I think Gabaldon chose the JHRC for Claire as a curse phrase of choice so that it would distinguish her for being from the future. There aren’t a lot of curse words or phrases out there that are so..."

I think it does help distinguish that she is from the future and is kind of a reminder to us, the reader.

I think profanity is just a part of life whether you like it or not. Sometimes the only way to make your point and express a strong emotion is a good old-fashioned curse. I'm not condoning it but it is a part of life. When someone is upset, would you take them more seriously if they said "WTF!?!" or "oh, Buttercups!", lol, see my point?

I'm a Christian and I do occasionally curse. Words only have the amount of power and meaning as you make them have. Some people like to complain about it though.

It is quite different if you read a story set in the 1700's where life is much different than what we have now, and can't stand to read curses, put yourself in the characters place. It is one thing to curse in real life and a whole seperate issue to read a curse in a story.

I'm married and have a 3 y/o daughter, therefore we say "Sugarsnap!". When you are with other people they look at you like you're an idiot until you explain its your "family curse" lol. My husband occassionally slips and will add in a few choice words before saying "Suparsnap", which I told him defeats the purpose. haha

I feel like people are too sensitive about everything anymore, on all aspects of life, on both side of the argument. Its funny because as a kid we are taught too value eachother for our differences, and as an adult it seems like we should try to make everyone just like ourselves.

By the way, this opinion isn't directed at anybody here, just venting in general about life :)

message 46: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yes, that is what I meant...take His name in vain as in a cursing manner. Thanks!

message 47: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Meghan, lol...I have been known to let it fly....like the time a dropped a cast iron skillet full of spaghetti, lid and all on top of both feet while trying to get it out of the refrigerator (yeah...I know...they get rusty in the frig)...buttercups just didn't fit the bill...but I didn't take God's name in vain either. I just can't do that. I just cringe when I hear someone do that...and sometimes I cringe when I even read the F word...especially when it slips up on me. :) I'm not a prude or a saint by any means just trying to do my best. Ha Ha.

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (katelai) If I dropped the skillet full of food I'd end up saying something silly, like... flying monkey napsacks! and it would just turn into nonsense. I wish my brain could come up with something fancier in the moment, lol.

message 49: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Like when Jem lets it rip with all the bad words he knows? LOL.

message 50: by Megan (new)

Megan Sharonh wrote: "Meghan, lol...I have been known to let it fly....like the time a dropped a cast iron skillet full of spaghetti, lid and all on top of both feet while trying to get it out of the refrigerator (yeah...."

lol, I would be mad because I have a huge mess to clean up and I would probably get stuck cooking more too, double bad, haha. I know what you mean about trying to do your best. I went to Parochial school for 9 years so I have proper behavior ingrained in me still whether I like it or not, lol. We couldn't even say "Geez" (sp?) because it was to close to the Lord's name.

I think I needed to vent earlier because my daughter went with her Grandma (my husband's mom) to visit her cousins and Aunt for the day, and she got a time out. She told me she had a 10 minute time out because she fell in the yard and when she told them "I have dirt on my butt" because her pants were dirty, she got in trouble for saying "butt" and not "bottom." LOL, I was literally like "Whhaaatt? Since when is saying butt the end of the world?" I didn't realize that was time out worthy. My daughter is only 3 by the way.

« previous 1