What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Young Adult Historical/Pirate Fiction set in England and New Orleans SOLVED [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah | 3 comments I read this book series in the late 90's, I believe there are 2-3 books. It is about a girl who grew up in England and somehow gets involved with a pirate. They have to leave England under the cover of darkness and his crew rescues them from a cave. She falls in love with the Captain and travels with him back to his home in New Orleans. There is a secret island that they travel to where she meets Jean Laffite and befriends him. New Orleans comes under attack and the women have to head to a church to be safe and the main girl leaves to help fight. At the end of the last book he gives her pearl combs to put in her hair.

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah | 3 comments I also just remember this detail. The Captain also has a twin brother who was press ganged into the British Navy and he has been looking for him. The main girl somehow runs across the twin and realizes she could have saved him for the Captain. At the end of the book the find the twin as he has led a mutainy on the ship.

message 3: by Kaion (last edited Feb 21, 2010 11:39AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 392 comments I haven't read any such book, but the pirates of New Orleans sound so very interesting!

The closest match I could find was "American Dreams" series by Jean Ferris, starting with Into the Wind. Granted, she's starts out in Colonial Mexico: "Mexico, 1814, sixteen-year-old Rosie’s world changes when her father’s saloon is burned and her father killed. Alone, without family, home or livelihood, Rosie has no chose but to go with Raider Lyons, the young sea captain who rescued her from the fire. As American privateers and the British Navy battle one another on the high seas, Raider chases the brutal British captain who kidnapped his brother. Rosie, swept up in Raider's obsession is caught in a dangerous and merciless war at sea…and in a relentless battle against the growing passions within her heart."

All three books appear to involve New Orleans. The second book Song of the Sea appears to introduce Jean Lafitte as a major character and the tags mention several islands that could the secret spots. And the third and final book mention her going back to England to seek out relatives (Weather the Storm).

Amazon allows you to look at passages inside each of the three books.

Another option is The Last Pirate, but it seems much more politically and historically involved, and doesn't appear to be part of a series.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (millygoldeneyes) | 30 comments There is a slim possibility that it could be Pirates!. Some of the details are similar, but some are different...if that even makes sense. It's not part of a series, though, and the British Navy man was somebody she loved, and most definitley not her brother.
So maybe not, but it was worth a try.

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah | 3 comments Kaion that is totally it! I figured it around the same time you posted. It's the one by Jean Ferris! I definately recommend that book.

message 6: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 392 comments Yay, glad to (not) help. :P