Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Self Promotion Tips > facebook advertising

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terence (new)

Terence Hawkins | 5 comments Does anyone know anything about advertising through Facebook? I just set up a fan page for The Rage of Achilles, and the site invited me to bid on a paid targeted marketing scheme. Has anyone tried this?

message 2: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments I am "trying" to run ads on Facebook, yes,but the result is more than disappointing. I don't know how Facebook is allocating inventory but one day I am having a couple of thousand impressions and then for 2 weeks they won't show my ad anywhere. Only when I up my click-through price, the ad will go into rotation again for a while and then taper off brutally.

It seems to me that Facebook is trying to force you this way to constantly increase your click-through price.

At the same time, there are virtually no click-throughs at all - people seem to simply ignore ads in Facebook altogether.

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 48 comments Hey- I did a facebook ad with terrible results....I also did a google ad with terrible results. Don't wast your time =). We should join each others fan pages. Mine is Kissing Frogs in Cyberspace .What is yours Guido......Terry add me and I will add you. Anyone else have a fan page?

Dianne

message 4: by Guido (last edited Feb 21, 2010 01:51PM) (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments My Facebook fan page/group is

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?...

I've always been torn between using a Fan page or a group for the Jason Dark series. I wish Facebook had a fan page setting for "Intellectual Properties" or "Brands" but they don't have anything related to that. I see you selected "Writer" for yours, Dianne. Maybe I'll do that, too, and switch my group over to a fan page.

message 5: by Corey (new)

Corey Holst | 1 comments Likewise, my facebook ad did nothing. Hundreds of clicks later and not a single sale was generated that I could tell. I listed my book, Defender of the Realm for a goodreads giveaway, and have received more response in two days than my facebook ad did in a month.
Still have a facebook fan page though. Always good to have a quick way to make annoucements and such.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Della-Piana (patdellapiana) I have a new fan page, and I've refused all coaxing to advertise. Reading these comments, I'm glad I did. My fan page is pagan, and is located at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Patrici...

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Corliss (mcorliss72028) | 29 comments I have a facebook page for my book listed under my name. Since daycare is my niche and daycare providers are my target group, I invited daycare providers to be my friends. I have over 350 friends and sold 5 books! It has been 3 months and people are getting angry with my self promotion. I promote my book and blog, and website! Uggg! It is obviously not working. I have been banned from a daycare Yahoo group for spamming. I'm tired! This is hard!!! I was very naive, I thought providers would want to read my book. In this economy is it really hard to sell anyone anything! At least FB hasn't cost me anything but my time!

message 8: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments Yeah, I have disabled my Facebook ad this week also. It's just not doing anything and in fact, Facebook is not doing anything. For the past 2 weeks I hadn't had a single impression. As I had suspected previously, it is very clearly a sign that Facebook wants to squeeze more money out of me by trying to force me to increase my click-through payments in order to get back into the rotation. Well, I'm not playing that game since the ROI simply doesn't work on Facebook.

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Della-Piana (patdellapiana) I created a fan page on Facebook for myself, and on it I've posted all my books and their reviews. I've invited all the friends I had on my regular Facebook page, and most have joined my fanpage. Every day I have more and more fans. For me Facebook is working, at least as far as getting my name recognition across. That was my intention. I don't expect to SELL books through Facebook directly, but to garner interest in me and my books. I've been selling more books than I usually do - at least more than before I created the fan page.

I also created a fan site on a Yahoo group, and maybe that's an idea that Marilyn can use. Make a group of your own, devoted to you and your book, and be sure the title of the group is provocative enough to capture the attention of daycare providers. Once they've joined the group, you have their undivided attention. You'll have to keep updating the information on the group at least once a week. One book and many ads for it won't keep their attention very long. Maybe little articles, updates, coupons, stuff like that. Again, at least it doesn't cost you anything but time.

message 10: by Reza (new)

Reza Kahlili (RezaKahlili) | 11 comments Thank you for the useful info. I guess facebook is good for name recognition as oppose to self promotion.

message 11: by Guido (last edited Mar 02, 2010 11:34AM) (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments It works as a social network perpetuating your exposure that way, but not as a traditional advertising platform.

message 12: by Philippa (new)

Philippa (pjballantine) | 1 comments I was considering advertising on Facebook, but I am kinda glad now that I haven't. I think I will stick with my fan page though, it's nice to give that potential audience something to look at :)

message 13: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hornby (goodreadscomuser_jeanettehornby) | 8 comments My facebook page is:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeanett...

Like me and I'll like you back :)

message 14: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hornby (goodreadscomuser_jeanettehornby) | 8 comments Deb, Is it okay to ask how much you spend on advertising?

message 15: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hornby (goodreadscomuser_jeanettehornby) | 8 comments Thanks. I'll check it out.

message 16: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments Have you seen a return on investment, Deb? At least since you've changed the way you've advertised through FB?

message 17: by Alan (new)

Alan (coachmt) | 20 comments You'd have to sell a lot of books to get that kind of money back. Personally, I'm looking at giving out a couple of dozen books at my daughter's school and asking them for an honest review in return. Maybe seeing if the English teacher will make an assignment out of it. Still kicking around some ideas, but, from everything I've read, the only people who win advertising on the internet are the ad sites.

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments I'm a professional marketer in my day job. Here's how my Facebook ad campaign went: http://thebookmarketingblog.com/faceb...

I keep looking for stats on ROI for the Goodreads Display flashy ad packages the big boys buy for $2500, but I can't find any. Anybody have any experience with them?

message 19: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 22 comments I agree, I include Facebook paid advertising as part of my service packages. I noticed a decrease in clicks then when I started in 2010. Same type of ad.

On the Facebook subject. Like my Facebook page leave a comment and I will like you back.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Women-C...

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments One thing I learned about Facebook advertising is that if you don't change your ad EVERY DAY, your clickthrough ratio will drop. This is because it's served to the same group of users over and over, and people tend to tune out ads that they are passingly familiar with.

As you know, if your clickthrough ratio drops, your price increases. So to keep engagement high and advertising rates low, it's imperative keep your ad fresh. If you set it and forget it, you'll lose a lot of money.

Diane Castle, author of Black Oil, Red Blood

www.thebookmarketingblog.com

message 21: by Barry (new)

Barry James (mondragoran) | 1 comments I have been running 2 separate ads: one directed to my Facebook page seeking "likes" and one directed to my Amazon page seeking sales. So far it appears that the ads for "likes" are tremendously more successful than the ads for sales.

I started with a free $50 credit for new advertisers, used part of that credit to get 50 likes to qualify for another $25 credit, then got a $100 credit for downloading a silly advertising guide from Facebook, and now am working toward 151 likes to get another $100 credit. (I'm up to 137 likes so far and I've spent $107 of the total $175 in credit.)

So now I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can actually do with that last $100 in credit (once I get it) that will result in sales. If I could list target groups with "AND" instead of "OR", I think I could make it work...

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments Yep! It's really easy to get likes, especially if you put a like button directly in your ad!

The big companies try to get as many likes as they can and then get very creative with their Facebook Page posts to try to drive sales. "Like" even gives you the ability to email your fans, which can be very useful if you don't abuse it.

Black Oil, Red Blood

message 23: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 90 comments Hey Diane - I have an author FB page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/David-...) but i haven't seen a way to email those who have Liked my page. How do I do that?

Thanks.

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments You bet. I found this tutorial on how to do that here: http://www.labnol.org/tech/message-al...

message 25: by K. (new)

K. Chase (kvictoriachase) | 5 comments Barry wrote: "I have been running 2 separate ads: one directed to my Facebook page seeking "likes" and one directed to my Amazon page seeking sales. So far it appears that the ads for "likes" are tremendously m..."

Hey Barry!

How's your facebook ad coming? Any of those "likes" translating into sales? I'm doing something similar on goodreads. I've had 6 clicks and 2 have added my book to their TBR list. Thousands of page views though but I'm only down $.60 out of $75 so I have plenty of cash-for-clicks left.

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Mortensen (kirsten_mortensen) | 6 comments Interesting thread.

I read another one a few days ago on GR ads.

I've yet to come across a single writer who has sold enough books via FB or GR advertising to turn a profit.

More perspective: speaking as someone who watched the traditional publishing industry for many many years (I sold a couple of non-fiction books to NY publishers, my ex did as well): traditional publishers VERY RARELY purchase advertising.

There's a reason for that.

They know it's a waste of money.

Advertising doesn't sell things.

Goes against everything you've ever been taught about ads, doesn't it! ;-)

But it's true. Almost without exception, the only ads that actually result in sales are the kinds you see on QVC or infomercials, where personalities engage you for an extended period -- long enough to persuade you of a product's benefits, and to drive home incentives to buy "now" because the price has been temporarily lowered.

Most ads you are exposed to on TV, in print, and online are not expected to get you to buy.

Most ads are intended to raise awareness about a product, service, or brand. And that's it.

Companies combine ads with all kinds of other marketing and sales programs -- they don't just buy ads and then sit back & watch their sales figures climb.

So IMO, if you have money to invest in brand building, buy ads.

If your budget is finite, however, and you want to earn back what you spend via book sales, there are MUCH better ways to spend your $ (starting with editing and cover design services!)

Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Black Oil, Red Blood (other topics)