The Next Best Book Club discussion

Diane's AtWi 80 books Challenge > Eugenia - Frequent Flyer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennie (last edited Mar 13, 2010 08:14PM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 1. North America - United States - The Alienist by Caleb Carr

2. Asia - Burma - The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh

message 2: by Jennie (last edited Mar 13, 2010 08:15PM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 3. Asia - India - Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire by Alex Von Tunzelmann

message 3: by Doina (new)

Doina | 74 comments Making progress Jennie! Glad you decided to do this challenge. Don't forget to backtrack to September. =)

message 4: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments I checked back to September and everything is either USA or England! Sigh....

message 5: by Doina (new)

Doina | 74 comments Well, that's what you get for abandoning books that are set in other countries. :-p What about Pashazade? Did you read it after September 15? You can use it for Egypt.

message 6: by Jennie (last edited Mar 13, 2010 08:16PM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 4. Europe - Finland - Snow Angels by James Thompson

(Doina: I'm going to use Death on the Nile for Egypt, when I get there...).

message 7: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments What books did I abandon that were set in other countries?

message 8: by Doina (new)

Doina | 74 comments The Enchantress of Florence and The Coffee Trader.

message 9: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments Enchantress of Florence was India and The Coffee Trader was painful!

message 10: by Doina (new)

Doina | 74 comments Wasn't it India and Italy both? I got the impression from the description that it was both. Although, after your painful review, I decided against buying it. Same with the Coffee Trader. =)

message 11: by Jennie (last edited Mar 13, 2010 08:16PM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 5. Europe - Sweden - Faceless Killers

message 12: by KarenLee (new)

KarenLee Jennie wrote: "4. Europe - Finland - Snow Angels by James Thompson."

I've requested this book from the library. Never heard of this author and I still need Finland AND I like mysteries. Thanks

message 13: by Jennie (last edited Mar 13, 2010 08:12PM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 6. North America - Canada - The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe

message 14: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 7. Europe - Romania - The Appointment: A Novel by Herta Muller.

Nobel prize-winning novel, stream-of-consciousness narrative, I had a hard time finishing it.

message 15: by Jennie (last edited Apr 06, 2010 01:33PM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 8. Europe - Spain: The Fencing Master by Arturo Perez-Reverte.

A lot of this book went over my head with highly technical fencing descriptions and references to 19th century Spanish politics. Not boring, but I didn't understand very much.

message 16: by Jennie (last edited Apr 06, 2010 01:33PM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 9. Europe - England: Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas.

message 17: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 10. Middle East - Turkey: My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk.

I enjoyed the first 200 pages, but the second half was a bit of a slog. Too much philosophy, got to be hard to read after awhile.

message 18: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 11. Africa - Egypt: Khufu's Wisdom by Naguib Mahfouz.

I really enjoyed this one - I was also very surprised and happy to find that it wasn't depressing!

message 19: by Jennie (last edited Apr 11, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 12. Middle East - Iran: Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi.

message 20: by Doina (new)

Doina | 74 comments you mean you found an arabic book by an arab writer that wasn't depressing? =p i'm definitely picking it up then. can't wait to come back home so i can get back to my normal reading schedule. i'm definitely going through withdrawls. i can't imagine how you managed india with only two books.

message 21: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments Haha I just plain didn't have time to read while I was there! It was literally nonstop run, run, run from morning 'til bedtime. Managed to finish only one of my books there, had the second one for the flight back (but I did read the first "Dexter" book on the flight from Seattle to London, so I guess technically I had three books). Looking forward to your return!

message 22: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 13. Europe - Germany: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I really enjoyed this book - it was the kind of story that made me want to sneak off for a few minutes to steal another couple of pages. However, yes, you can have too much foreshadowing - that got a little old. Also still trying to figure out how in the heck this qualifies as "children's literature", and wondering how my naive, sixth-grade, soon-to-be-12-year-old niece is going to handle the story if her teacher follows through and assigns it to the class.

message 23: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 14. Europe - Russia: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Loved this book. Had to sit in the parking lot at Fred Meyer for half an hour so I could read the last 50 pages; didn't want to wait until I got home. I was very surprised by the semi-optimistic ending - will definitely re-read this!

Sigh. From Nazi Germany to a Siberian hard-labor camp? I need a wee break. I think I'll lighten things up with a quick trip to Botswana to see what Mma Ramotswe is up to....

message 24: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 15. Africa - Botswana: Blue Shoes and Happiness by Alexander McCall Smith.

I really enjoy this series, and had drifted away from it (I'm behind by several books now). Felt good to go back!

message 25: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 16. Africa - Zimbabwe: Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga.

message 26: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 17. Europe - Iceland: Jar City by Arnaldur Indriđason.

Very depressing, but I'll read the next one.

message 27: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 18. Asia - Thailand: Bangkok 8: A Novel (Sonchai Jitpleecheep Series #1) by John Burdett.

message 28: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 19. Europe - Wales: A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters.

message 29: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 20. Asia - China: Snake Agent: A Detective Inspector Chen Novel by Liz Williams.

message 30: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 21. Africa - Zaire (DRC): The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

message 31: by Jennie (last edited Jun 26, 2010 12:33PM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 22. Europe - Norway: The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo.

message 32: by Jennie (last edited Jun 21, 2010 09:00AM) (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 23. Europe - Italy: The Raphael Affair by Iain Pears.

(Pant, pant... I'm never going to make another 60 books in 3 months, but it's fun trying!)

message 33: by Doina (new)

Doina | 74 comments I'm sure you can read quite a few more. You've been making lots of progress in the last few weeks. =) It'll be interested to see how long it'll take you to finish.

message 34: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments I'm taking a little detour to my Happy Place (aka To Kill a Mockingbird) this week. Next up, though, I think I'll go back to Africa with Cry, the Beloved Country in honor of the World Cup. Unless To Kill a Mockingbird doesn't do its "cheer up" job. Then I might have to resort to Bridget Jones' Diary.

message 35: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 24. Africa - South Africa: Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

message 36: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 25. North America - Mexico: The Black Minutes by Martin Solares.

message 37: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 26. Latin America - Chile: Inés of My Soul by Isabel Allende.

message 38: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 27. Europe - Scotland: The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith.

message 39: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 28. Europe - Ireland: Ireland by Frank Delaney.

message 40: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 29. Caribbean - Martinique: Solibo Magnificent by Patrick Chamoiseau.

30. Middle East - UAE: Layover in Dubai by Dan Fesperman.

message 41: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 31. Oceania - New Zealand: The Bone People by Keri Hulme.

message 42: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 32. Middle East - Iraq: Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert, Shaper of Nations by Georgina Howell.

message 43: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 33. Asia - Japan: Samurai William: The Adventurer Who Unlocked Japan by Giles Morton

message 44: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 34. Middle East - Lebanon: The Hakawati by Rabih Alameddine.

message 45: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 35. Asia - Korea: Your Republic Is Calling You by Kim Young-Ha.

message 46: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 36. Asia - Malaysia: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder by Shamini Flint.

message 47: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 37. Asia - Laos: The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill.

message 48: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 38. Europe - Bosnia-Herzegovina: Lie in the Dark by Dan Fesperman.

message 49: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 39. Asia - Indonesia: A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul by Shamini Flint.

message 50: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 75 comments 40. Asia - Mongolia: Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford.

« previous 1