Richard III discussion

Book Discussions > The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion and Treason - the Secret Wars Against the Tudors

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
I just saw this mentioned on Amy's blog and thought I'd post about it here.

The Last White Rose Dynasty, Rebellion and Treason - the Secret Wars Against the Tudors by Desmond Seward

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire | 38 comments Desmond Seward is not a fan of Richard 3.I think he wrote a book proving he was evil and killed the princes.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments His book on the Wars of the Roses is quite interesting--it tells the story through episodes involving William Hastings, Elizabeth "Jane" Shore, Margaret Beaufort, Bishop Morton, and the Earl of Oxford. I'm looking forward to this one.

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire | 38 comments Is that "the Brief History of the War of the Roses"?

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments It's been published under a couple of different titles, I believe. I think it's the same book. This is the one I own:

The Wars of the Roses: Through the Lives of Five Men and Women of the Fifteenth Century

message 6: by Claire (last edited Feb 20, 2010 09:10AM) (new)

Claire | 38 comments I'll give it a go then.I'm short of reading , Rebels and Traitors is not a scintillating read.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianwainwright) | 149 comments Seward hates Richard III with such a passion that I suspect he must have been beheaded on Richard's orders in a previous life.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Yes, that's the one I own as well, Susan.

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Brian wrote: "Seward hates Richard III with such a passion that I suspect he must have been beheaded on Richard's orders in a previous life."

:)

I knew you guys would have the skinny. Only if the library gets it then.

message 10: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments In that case there's no need for me to even borrow the library's copy...too bad and such a pretty cover too.

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Barb wrote: "In that case there's no need for me to even borrow the library's copy...too bad and such a pretty cover too."

Barb, you've had double postings around lately - you got the hiccups or is there a GR issue?

message 12: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments It's this stinking Firefox browser that my husband has set up as the default on the computer...grrrrrr
(or *hic* depending)

message 13: by Misfit (new)

I'll delete one of you. I wondered what it what :)

message 14: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments Thanks and yeah we're back to Explorer.
:0)

message 15: by MAP (last edited Feb 20, 2010 09:51PM) (new)

MAP | 181 comments Brian wrote: "Seward hates Richard III with such a passion that I suspect he must have been beheaded on Richard's orders in a previous life."

Tonight on the news, we finally have proof that reincarnation does exist! This book proves beyound a doubt that Desmond Seward IS Will Hastings! More details at 10.
;)

...I dunno, I'm tired. Maybe that made sense only to me!

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianwainwright) | 149 comments Actually I know/knew two people who believed they lived in Richard's time. (One is now dead). No names, no packdrill, but both were/are fervent Ricardians. And I meant fervent.

Who knows...? The truth is out there.

message 17: by Misfit (new)

MAP, no good one. Thanks.

message 18: by Plantagenista (last edited Aug 09, 2011 12:14AM) (new)

Plantagenista | 30 comments Spot the difference ;-) :

I came across the paperback version:
The Last White Rose - The Secret Wars of the Tudors (paperback version)[edited to add "Last"]

... and I thought something was funny with the title, so I checked the previous (hardcover) edition:

The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion and Treason - the Secret Wars Against the Tudors

Any guesses why they changed that little word? Sales?

message 19: by Misfit (new)

Lol, good catch. Tudor everything these days.

message 20: by Plantagenista (new)

Plantagenista | 30 comments Tudors may be everything today, but I find it remarkable that they changed it from the aggressive wars AGAINST the Tudors to the war OF the Tudors.

message 21: by Misfit (new)

Plantagenista wrote: "Tudors may be everything today, but I find it remarkable that they changed it from the aggressive wars AGAINST the Tudors to the war OF the Tudors."

I know. Tudors sell :/

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Heh. In American history, if you can slap either "Nazi" or "Confederate" on it, it will sell better.

For a niche book, I think this one was titled brilliantly: "Railroads of the Confederacy." Two obsessive fan groups appealed to in one title!

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 5 comments Really interesting catch! Shows you can't believe anything about Richard and the Tudors because they just don't know-----except we all thiink we do know--or at least I do. I made it up but there's so many ways to accuse so many people.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 5 comments PS More currently. Did you hear they have tapes of Jackie O saying she thinks LBJ had JFK killed? Program in September.
I guess there will always be mysteries. Love them I must admit.

message 25: by K.L. (new)

K.L. (klclark) | 37 comments Such a shame about the Seward book. It might have been very useful.

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 5 comments Karen,

What are yiu looking for?

message 27: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 35 comments Barbara wrote: "PS More currently. Did you hear they have tapes of Jackie O saying she thinks LBJ had JFK killed? Program in September.
I guess there will always be mysteries. Love them I must admit."

Mysteries? Seems to me that half the world has a love affair with conspiracy theories. I can understand that Jackie O's perspective on LBJ is bound to be vastly different to mine. 'Irrational' as it may be, there are a few of my friends my wife puts up with but does not empathize with. Thankfully to date nobody has taken a pot shot at me. I dare say LBJ was always ambitious, so is every politician under the sun.
I am not being sarcastic at all but I am just old enough to remember the vast industry that was spawned when Kennedy was shot and the vast amounts of forest that must have been denuded to prove (on both sides of the Atlantic) that every senior politician anywhere was involved, can't remember if Mother Theresa was also a suspect but the point was that no politician died unless there was a conspiracy.
Good television I am sure, fueled by a widow's grief.

message 28: by K.L. (new)

K.L. (klclark) | 37 comments Barbara: Just talking research material.

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments Brian wrote: "Seward hates Richard III with such a passion that I suspect he must have been beheaded on Richard's orders in a previous life."

Then I will be taking this one off my TBR. No point in getting it if the author is blatantly obvious in his negative bias against Richard. I can read things where the author is not a Richard fan as long as they don't go out of their way to make him appear like the devil incarnent.