Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > GR blocked for a member?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I just got a message from a GR member that I helped in the past and this is the message:

"Goodreads has been filtered in iran ! how can i inform site admin? is there any way to make mirror links?"

I have no idea what it is that's happening to him/his page but figured maybe a super could help him or contact someone else.
I can send a link to his page if needed so he can be spoken with if need be.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42491 comments Mod
GR already knows about this, but can do nothing.

The Iranian government has been blocking sites for years; until now, GR hadn't made it on to their radar.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments GR is already aware, but what can they do from outside?

message 4: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Wow, I had no idea. How sad. Sorry to have made a new post for this - I thought maybe this was something GR had control over but, I see now, they don't.
Thanks for the link Cait, I want to spread this around.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Yes -- I guess one thing we can do from here is spread the word!

message 6: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 62 comments I had no idea either, that's horrible =/
This morning I was just thinking that if something happened to my GR account and I couldn't get on a part of me would die, because I'd have to re-do my entire account. But for the government to block it? That would be beyond horrible. I'm not even going to get into how the government shouldn't have the right to not allow their peoples to learn and access websites.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Cait wrote: "Yes -- I guess one thing we can do from here is spread the word!"

and try to communicate with those we know in Iran.

message 8: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 6 comments Whoa. Iran banned GR? It's turning into China.

I didn't know things like that could happen.

message 9: by Allen (last edited Feb 25, 2010 05:49AM) (new)

Allen Wright I & Worst (Audiovore) | 11 comments Zee wrote: "Whoa. Iran banned GR? It's turning into China."

Its been far worse than China for years. Iran has an naval blockade compared to the 'Great Firewall' of China.