Orthodoxy discussion

Attracting Authors about Orthodoxy to goodreads.com

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 17 comments One of my favorite authors is Frederica Mathewes-Green. Her husband, a former Episcopal priest, and she converted to Orthodoxy in the late 1980's. He is now an Orthodox priest with OCA and serves at a church he founded in Maryland. Frederica writes movingly of her family's conversion in her first book, Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy. She has written many other books since then in her engaging style and does a fine job of explaining and extolling Orthodoxy. Occasionally, one can hear her commentary on NPR and other national radio networks. Frederica's website is http://www.frederica.com/. I urge you all to e-mail her and invite her to sign up as a goodreads.com author.

message 2: by JD (new)

JD (tomesandtalismans) | 1 comments You can also find her podcast on Ancient Faith Radio, or in iTunes by searching "Ancient Faith Radio". It is titled "Frederica Here and Now".

message 3: by David (new)

David | 2 comments I think the parish is Antiochian.

message 4: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 17 comments David wrote: "I think the parish is Antiochian."
David, you are correct: Rev. Gregory Mathewes-Green is archpriest of Holy Cross Antichoian Orthodox Church in Linthicum, MD. The parish's website is www.holycrossonline.org.

message 5: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Johnson | 13 comments Hi!
I'm an Orthodox author, and I know another one who's also on Goodreads. My name is Melinda Johnson, and my book is Letters to Saint Lydia. Her name is Jane G. Meyer and she's the author of several children's books, including The Woman and the Wheat.

message 6: by Lynette (new)

Lynette Smith (lynette_a_smith) | 6 comments Melinda, Congratulations on your book. Good to know about other Orthodox authors. I also wrote a book: "Voyage: A Quest for God within Orthodox Tradition". You can read about it here on Goodreads. Lynette Smith.

message 7: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 17 comments Melinda wrote: "Hi!
I'm an Orthodox author, and I know another one who's also on Goodreads. My name is Melinda Johnson, and my book is Letters to Saint Lydia. Her name is Jane G. Meyer and she's the author of sev..."

Melinda,

We are all blessed to have you. I am ordering your book, as I have Lynette's, and look forward to reading both.

Thank you for your writing and endeavors to spread the word about Orthodoxy.

Blessings to you.

Douglas in South Carolina

message 8: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Johnson | 13 comments Lynette wrote: "Melinda, Congratulations on your book. Good to know about other Orthodox authors. I also wrote a book: "Voyage: A Quest for God within Orthodox Tradition". You can read about it here on Goodreads. ..."

Lynette, congratulations on your book also! I saw your website as well. I'm blogging about books of interest to Orthodox Christian women. Can I put a link to your site on my blog?
Melinda

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Johnson | 13 comments Douglas wrote: "Melinda wrote: "Hi!
I'm an Orthodox author, and I know another one who's also on Goodreads. My name is Melinda Johnson, and my book is Letters to Saint Lydia. Her name is Jane G. Meyer and she's t..."

Thank you, Douglas! I hope that you enjoy it. Writing it was such an adventure. It sort of happened to me when I wasn't expecting it, and the experience has been a blessing. I'm working on a second novel now. I believe Jane, the other author I mentioned, was just awarded a contract for another Orthodox children's book, called The Hidden Garden. Orthodoxy seems to be fertile ground for this kind of creativity.

Take care and blessings to you,
Melinda

message 10: by Lynette (new)

Lynette Smith (lynette_a_smith) | 6 comments Yes, you certainly may. I'd like to link to your blog from mine as well. Lynette

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Melinda, I actually bought your book LETTERS TO LYDIA back when it came out for my niece (born in December) who is named Lydia. I also added it to Goodreads. Great book! Also liked your blog comment on the importance of personal saints:)

message 12: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Johnson | 13 comments Lynette wrote: "Yes, you certainly may. I'd like to link to your blog from mine as well. Lynette"

You are now on my blogroll! Here is my blog address: http://melindasmailbox.wordpress.com/

message 13: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Johnson | 13 comments Alissa wrote: "Melinda, I actually bought your book LETTERS TO LYDIA back when it came out for my niece (born in December) who is named Lydia. I also added it to Goodreads. Great book! Also liked your blog commen..."

It was you! I didn't know anything about Goodreads, but I found a link on Google one night that said someone had put my book there, so of course, I had to go look. Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and I'm thankful that you inadvertently led me to this site. I really enjoy it. Please tell your niece I said hello. I love to hear about other Lydias. She doesn't seem to be as well known as some saints, but I'm very fond of her.

message 14: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 17 comments Andrew wrote: "I would love to see Frederica on here. I had not read anything by her before, but recently I started First Fruits of Prayer: A Forty-Day Journey Through the Canon of St. Andrew; and I..."

Andrew,

As you probably know, Frederica signed up as Goodreads.com author last year. Let's hope that our fellow Group members visit her website, and add her as a favorite author. Perhaps Frederica will join this Group.

Best wishes to you.

Douglas in South Carolina

message 15: by Calee (new)

Calee Lee (calee_m_lee) Hi all-
I'm an Orthodox author. My book The Queen and the Cats is a story of Saint Helena for children. It has 26 beautiful full-color illustrations and is available in ebook formats as well as print. Thanks so much for starting this group!

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 01, 2012 01:13PM) (new)

I'm also an Orthodox author. My book is called Unexpected Joy: A Novel. (Sorry, it's not that I don't know to underline a book title, I just don't know how to do it here.) You can find it on Goodreads.com. Here's a link to my Ancient Faith Radio interview last December. http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/feat...
It's great to see these postings by Orthodox writers and authors!

message 17: by R. (new)

R. Olson | 3 comments I have an adult fiction novel and a memoir. See more at http://rleoolson.com/wordpress/

Sojourning With Angels The Rise of Zazriel by R. Leo Olson
Unlearning God by R Leo Olson

message 18: by NormaCenva (new)

NormaCenva Found a really nice resource http://orthodoxfiction.com/ it is tiny but it is great to see that now there is a directory for Orthodox Christian writers, hope it will grow!

message 19: by Kristofer (new)

Kristofer Carlson (carlsonloggie) | 12 comments I am finishing a non-fiction book called "Why Mary Matters." The text is written, and I just finished with formatting the basic layout. It's a bit long yet, even without the index and bibliography, so I've likely got quite a bit of editing to do.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted!

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim Vivanco | 14 comments Yes, I'd like to read your book!

message 22: by Nick (last edited Mar 12, 2013 07:03AM) (new)

Nick Xylas | 11 comments Anastasia: that's a great site, though I have mixed feeings about the preponderance of SF and fantasy authors on there. On the one had, I'm pleased because I'm a fan of those genres, and regard them as the best way of smuggling spiritual truths past those watchful dragons, as CS Lewis called them. On the other hand, I can just hear the smirks of New Atheists going "Of course it's full of fantasy fiction. Religion is just a bunch of fairy tales, because science".

message 23: by Elizabeth (last edited Apr 02, 2013 07:48PM) (new)

Elizabeth White (goodreadscomelizabethwhite) | 25 comments Hi! I am Elizabeth White, the author of Walking in Wonder. I just found this group a few moments ago and knew I had to join it. Walking in Wonder is a book targeted mainly to Orthodox parents, but many of my non-Orthodox relatives and friends who have read it, say that it could be for anyone.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White (goodreadscomelizabethwhite) | 25 comments I have set up an author page on Goodreads. At present I have only one published book - Walking in Wonder. My second book, Following a Sacred Path is finished and is at the publisher's (Conciliar Press).

message 25: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Welcome, Elizabeth.
Tell us more about your books.

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White (goodreadscomelizabethwhite) | 25 comments Walking in Wonder: Nurturing Orthodox Christian Virtues in Your Children is targeted to parents of young children, although others have enjoyed it also. My non-Orthodox relatives love it (they may be biased). It is based on the premise that everyday life is a spiritual path. The ordinary things you do with your children can lead them to God even if they are not overtly religious in nature. Each chapter begins with the theory behind the chapter topic and ends with suggestions for activities the adult can do with the child. It is a short, easy to read book. (Deliberately so, because mothers of young children don't always have time for heavy reading) A quote: "Beauty is felt more than defined, appreciated more than explained; a person's inner spirit is touched by beauty through interacting with things that manifest God's artistry in the material world. The wonder we feel in the presence of beauty is not imposed by teachings from without; rather it overflows from within, from the soul's response to some mysterious, compelling call".
Following a Sacred Path is in the same format but is focused more on nurturing children through involvement in the liturgical and sacramental life of the Church.

message 27: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Are the activities any good for Sunday school children :)

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White (goodreadscomelizabethwhite) | 25 comments Zaina wrote: "Are the activities any good for Sunday school children :)"
Most in Walking in Wonder are more suitable for home, but those in Following a Sacred Path are based on what I have done in Sunday School. In fact, while the book is mainly for parents it addresses some Sunday School issues also.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White (goodreadscomelizabethwhite) | 25 comments My newest book FOLLOWING A SACRED PATH is hot off the press and can be purchased from Ancient Faith Publishing.

message 30: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 48 comments Congratulations

message 31: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Many congrats. I'll look out for it.

message 32: by Elissa (new)

Elissa (elissabjeletich) | 3 comments Hi, everyone!

I'm Elissa D. Bjeletich and Ancient Faith Publishing recently published my first book, In God's Hands: A mother's journey through her infant's critical illness.

I have a podcast on Ancient Faith Radio called 'Raising Saints' about educating children in the Orthodox faith, and I'm working on another book in this vein. http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/rais...

I'm so happy to have joined this group, and I look forward to finding all sorts of new Orthodox authors and their books on Goodreads.

In Christ,
Elissa

message 33: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Welcome!

message 34: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 48 comments Welcome, Elissa! I've seen your name around and look forward to reading your book.

message 35: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Elissa, I listened to one of your podcasts on prayer with children for communion. It was wonderful and can't wait to implement some of your ideas with my class of grades 3-5. Thanks!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Elissa!

message 37: by Elissa (new)

Elissa (elissabjeletich) | 3 comments Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been on goodreads for a while, but hadn't taken advantage of the Groups - what a great resource. I'm finding all sorts of books I want to read! (Mimi, I think you and I comment on all the same blogs - I feel a little bit like I know you. John, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the interview. Zaina, I hope that you find some useful ideas in the podcast! Thanks to all of you!

message 38: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 48 comments Elissa wrote: "Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been on goodreads for a while, but hadn't taken advantage of the Groups - what a great resource. I'm finding all sorts of books I want to read! (Mimi, I think yo..."

Oh, thank you! I feel famous by association ;)

message 39: by Elissa (new)

Elissa (elissabjeletich) | 3 comments LOL! ;) By association with ME? Oh no!

message 40: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 48 comments Elissa wrote: "LOL! ;) By association with ME? Oh no!"

:)