Victorian Romance Novel Fans discussion

Movies Set in Victorian Times > Can you recommend some good movies set in the Victorian Age?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 739 comments Mod
I have not seen it, but parts, and I probably won't watch it, but Possession is set in that time period.

An Ideal Husband
The Importance of Being Earnest
Bram Stoker's Dracula

Brandy *Ahviel* (ahviel) I think today they need to update some of those victorian movies and put in some HOT actors that fit our ideal guy

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 739 comments Mod
That would be nice. Maybe they will get a clue from the popularity of classic literature and do that.

message 4: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Feeney | 7 comments Its a mini series The Forsythe Saga ,Damien Lewis.made 2003. You can buy it on dvd Its about 10 hours long. I have found that the BBC have made better regency and victorian drama than you get in the cinema.Most are on Amazon.

I've been considering that one, Maureen. I am a fan of Damian Lewis. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user I think I might have recommended it somewhere else already, but The Young Victoria is great and Rupert Friend made a good Albert.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments I think this movie is more Regency Era but the 2006 Masterpiece Theater version of Jane Eyre is wonderful!

Ooh. I have that on DVD!

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Have you watched it yet Danielle?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The other boylene girl
and
The Dutchess
were my favs

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Rachael I liked those movies as well!

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Rachael wrote: "The other boylene girl
and
The Dutchess
were my favs"

"The Other Boleyn Girl" is Tudor. "The Duchess" is Georgian.

/nitpick

Cheryl wrote: "Have you watched it yet Danielle?"

Not yet, Cheryl. Sadly, I am a bit psycho about Jane Eyre, so I have three versions: Timothy Dalton, Toby Stephens, and Orson Welles. I won't be buying the William Hurt. He does not make a good Rochester.

message 14: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Feeney | 7 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Have you watched it yet Danielle?"

Not yet, Cheryl. Sadly, I am a bit psycho about Jane Eyre, so I have three versions: Timothy Dalton, Toby Stephens, and Orson Welles. I won't ..."

Love Toby Stephens as Rochester

That's good to hear. I'm protective about Rochester. He can only be played by the best!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Valdez (lisavaldez) FIRELIGHT is a beautiful movie set in the Victorian Age.

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Ooh that sounds good Lisa! Thanks!

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Valdez (lisavaldez) Cheryl wrote: "Ooh that sounds good Lisa! Thanks!"

:-) You're welcome, Cheryl. You also might like the BBC's MIDDLEMARCH and THE TENANT OF WINDFELL HALL. And if you like Thomas Hardy (always an ending that is both sad and triumphant) then you might like THE WOODLANDERS.

I love Firelight, Lisa! I'll check out The Woodlanders and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I ended up buying an extra copy of Middlemarch, a happy accident, so I have it.

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments I already had The Tenant Of Windfell Hall on my Netflix queue and I added Middlemarch per your recommendation! Is the ending of The Woodlanders sad? I don't mind watching movies that are sad sometimes, I just want to be sure that I am in the right mood for it! :)

By the way... I just want to say that I LOVED your book Passion, I read it just last week and now I am anxiously awaiting Patience!!

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Valdez (lisavaldez) Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I love Firelight, Lisa! I'll check out The Woodlanders and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I ended up buying an extra copy of Middlemarch, a happy accident, so I have it."

Me too, Danielle! FIRELIGHT is such a visually beautiful movie.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Valdez (lisavaldez) Cheryl wrote: "I already had The Tenant Of Windfell Hall on my Netflix queue and I added Middlemarch per your recommendation! Is the ending of The Woodlanders sad? I don't mind watching movies that are sad some..."

THE WOODLANDERS is sad, Cheryl. But the heroine is triumphant in the end. It's a quiet but beautiful film. I hope you like it.

And I'm so happy you enjoyed PASSION! Yea! I hope PATIENCE pleases you too. :-)

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Thanks Lisa! I'll let you know about the book!

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Valdez (lisavaldez) Cheryl wrote: "Thanks Lisa! I'll let you know about the book!"

Great, Cheryl!

I'm watching the Masterpiece Theater Jane Eyre, with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens. I like it a lot. I wish they had spent a little more time on her childhood. I love Ruth Wilson as Jane Eyre. She has her perfect. Toby Stephens is a good Rochester. Although his long speeches are a little much. I guess that works best in the book. It seems like soliloquy in a movie though.

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Oh Danielle! That was the BEST version of Jane Eyre... and you're right, Toby Stephens as Rochester was an excellent pick!!

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) "Her Majesty, Mrs. Brown" is very good.

This movie reminds me how much I love this book. It's so multi-textured. It's a romance, but also gothic, and also strong social commentary. I have two other versions still to watch: the Timothy Dalton and the Orson Welles versions. I daresay this will be my favorite.

I finished it. I love the whole family sitting for the portrait at the end. :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Boy I haven't checked in here in a while...looks like I need to find some movie now that winter is coming!

They have quite a few of the British historical dramas on instant download on Netflix. I started watching The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, but I haven't finished it yet.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "They have quite a few of the British historical dramas on instant download on Netflix. I started watching The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, but I haven't finished it yet."

I watched that just a few weeks ago! I loved it! The first episode is a little confusing but once you watch the second episode it starts to become clear.. I loved the ending of the movie, it's very sweet!

I like it so far. Toby Stephens seems more macho in that part than I'm used to seeing him.

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I like it so far. Toby Stephens seems more macho in that part than I'm used to seeing him."

Yeah, I really enjoyed him in this. I liked the way he went after what he wanted.. and ignored what other people were saying.

I do wish they had chosen a different actress for the role of Helen.. I just don't care for that actress. But it didn't ruin it for me.

She has a real frowny face, doesn't she?

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "She has a real frowny face, doesn't she?"

Yes and she has such a stern look about her, her mouth always seems puckered or something.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

The Buccaneers
The House of Mirth
The Age of Innocence
The Prestige
So Long at the Fair

Very true, Cheryl.

Evangeline, The Buccaneers is available on Netflix instant download. :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, now you might think me crazy with this one, but Legends of the Fall is a great movie and Brad Pitt(who I normally think is just ok) is smoking hot in it...I do believe how he looks in this movie is how I picture my St. vincent! Yes indeed, most definatley!

Brad Pitt did look especially gorgeous in Legends of the Fall. It's a good movie, but kind of sad for my tastes.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes Danielle it was sad movie.

I watched Under the Greenwood Tree yesterday, with Keeley Hawes and James Murray. It was very good. Kind of light hearted.

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I watched Under the Greenwood Tree yesterday, with Keeley Hawes and James Murray. It was very good. Kind of light hearted."

I watched that on Sunday!! I really enjoyed it too!

Me too, Cheryl. James was dreamy, wasn't he? I loved the kiss he stole and the hand-washing scene. I also love the scene in the water. I thought they had good chemistry.

message 45: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Oh I loved him!! You're right they did have good chemistry! My husband watched it with me and when it got to the scene where he was collecting oysters my husband rolled his eyes and said every movie I watch has a scene where the man is in some kind of water!! It made me laugh! But I loved that scene!!

It's because wet men are hot! :)

message 47: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "It's because wet men are hot! :)"

Definitely!

I also watched Valmont, with Colin Firth. It was very good too, but not so feel good, but not bad either... it had a twist at the end that surprised me, and I loved seeing Colin Firth as a rakehell!!

Valmont is a really good movie. I love Colin Firth.

Have you watched these yet?

He Knew He Was Right
The Way We Live Now
Daniel Deronda

They look good, but kind of tragic. I hope they will be on Netflix soon.

message 49: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 80 comments I saw The Way We Live Now- funny, quirky, very enjoyable AND on Netflix!

I have He Knew He Was Right in my queue, it's on Netflix too!

Haven't seen Daniel Deronda, so I don't know about it.

Oh, great. I'll check out The Way We Live! Thanks, Cheryl.

« previous 1