Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Starting Stories

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments Got any advise or methods for starting stories that you think will help others?

message 2: by Anjali (last edited Feb 19, 2010 02:14PM) (new)

Anjali | 148 comments not really at the moment...
I'll have to think about it

message 3: by SQUEAK! (Lisa) (new)

SQUEAK! (Lisa) (fictionheart) You might be able to use the mysteries of Harris Burdick for inspiration. Google him. You'll see what I mean. Pictures, Titles, and Captions... helped me start a few stories.

message 4: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 58 comments Okay, I just started a new book and it's about a 16 yr old girl in an enchanted castle. I have no idea what the title should be or what the story should be based on - the plot. If you could help me out, that would be great!
<3 Camilla

message 5: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Gah, I started two stories this month. Probably not such a good idea … But oh well. It is fun. XD

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (lettingtheinkdry) | 4824 comments I started a few stories and have two continuing stories. They, sadly, have all been neglected. :(

message 7: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Haha. I'm writing three books at the moment. >_< Then there are the five or so stories I'm totally neglecting. :(

message 8: by Hannah (last edited Feb 19, 2010 07:20PM) (new)

Hannah (lettingtheinkdry) | 4824 comments Haha. I feel for you, Books. *sigh* they are quite difficult. I only have one going and its only like 30 pages long. But I have vacation this week and I plan on spending most of it writing.

Doesn't it get hard trying to keep the other book and stories out of your head when you try to focus on one thing?

message 9: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Haha. I'm writing three books at the moment. >_< Then there are the five or so stories I'm totally neglecting. :("

That's exactly what I'm doing o.o

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started 5 new stories lately. That's why Making The Skies Fall is pretty much ignored. Plus, I'm mad at one of the charaters.

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (lettingtheinkdry) | 4824 comments Don't you hate it when you get mad at your characters? And then you start to tell a friend and then you look like a TOTAL freak??
.... not that it's happened to me....

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, most of my friends write so they understand. It's funny, because he's in two other stories and a written RP, and I'm not mad at him in those.

Wait. No. I just feel really sorry for him and it's just too pathetic.

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (lettingtheinkdry) | 4824 comments rlly? What did you do to him?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

...You...might not want to know...

Basically I ruined his life.

♫♥Selena♥♫ (wertyiu102) | 338 comments Awe, be nice to your book characters. Unless they deserve to die...

DIE DIE DIE!!!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Mallory McSkittles (Skitts) wrote: "Oh, most of my friends write so they understand. It's funny, because he's in two other stories and a written RP, and I'm not mad at him in those.

Wait. No. I just feel really sorry for him and i..."

Yeah, I understand. *mutters* The zjark.

message 17: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) ♫♥Selena♥♫ wrote: "Awe, be nice to your book characters. Unless they deserve to die...

DIE DIE DIE!!!"

Wait. We're supposed to be nice to them?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Acacia wrote: "♫♥Selena♥♫ wrote: "Awe, be nice to your book characters. Unless they deserve to die...

DIE DIE DIE!!!"

Wait. We're supposed to be nice to them?"

If so, I fail at writing. I've killed many a character.

message 19: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

I prefer torturing characters over killing them. *grins*

message 20: by Adris (last edited Feb 20, 2010 08:03AM) (new)

Adris (adristl) ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I prefer torturing characters over killing them. *grins*"

Scary... I just kill them off when I don't need them anymore. I feel kinda bad just sayin' that. But really, unless I need them they go away. And I really don't like torturing them...to messy

message 21: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Adris wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I prefer torturing characters over killing them. *grins*"

Scary... I just kill them off when I don't need them anymore. I feel kinda bad just sayin' that. But really, unless I n..."

I rarely kill off characters. I've only killed off, like, three – important ones, anyway. I feel like a lot of people kill off characters just for the sake of making the plot interesting. For me, the death of a character has to be really significant in some way – whether it's essential to the plot or to the development of another character. And emotionally, I think it's more painful to see a character suffer but somehow manage to pull through, rather than just die. If that makes sense …

By "torture" I didn't mean like literal torture, just that I put characters through a lot of emotional agony. It's more powerful that way.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna (Maxy) wrote: "Mallory McSkittles (Skitts) wrote: "Oh, most of my friends write so they understand. It's funny, because he's in two other stories and a written RP, and I'm not mad at him in those.

Wait. No. I ..."

Haha. BTW, I forgave the "Jark". Well, actuall the "beach". Kind of. I still hate the "beach".

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I prefer torturing characters over killing them. *grins*"

I've tortured Mitch so much. If he were real he'd hate me.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Adris wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I prefer torturing characters over killing them. *grins*"

Scary... I just kill them off when I don't need them anymore. I feel kinda bad just sayin' that. But real..."

True, emotional agony is more powerful. Though I like to write about physical agony as well.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, we know... :P

message 26: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Adris wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I prefer torturing characters over killing them. *grins*"

Scary... I just kill them off when I don't need them anymore. I feel kinda bad just sayin' that. But real..."

That's true, but don't you hate it when you have to do that because its necessary for the plot?? I kind of have to kill a charrie (one of my favs) because... well, if I explained that would give away the plot.
But still, I hate killing off characters. D:

message 27: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
Random poem I wrote called It's the End... Please read and leave a comment:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/6...

message 28: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Ellen ♥ wrote: "That's true, but don't you hate it when you have to do that because its necessary for the plot?? I kind of have to kill a charrie (one of my favs) because... well, if I explained that would give away the plot.
But still, I hate killing off characters. D:"

Gaaah totally. >_< The only times I've killed people off was when I really had to do it, for the plot. And it's so hard, especially that moment when you realize it has to happen and you can't get around it. O_O
I have to kill one more person, in one of the books I'm writing … *cries* I'm not looking forward to it. :'(

message 29: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments I know! I knew from the moment I started writing this novel that I would have to kill off the character. But I've grown so attached to them that I have a feeling that I'm going to cry when it does happen!!!

message 30: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin | 3094 comments Advice for starting stories? Uhh ... just open a new document and write. Don't think too much about how to start it, or what the first line should be. You can edit an awesome first line in later. The problem a lot of people have is they don't know how to start, so they stare at the screen for ages not writing. You have to just MAKE yourself start, and make yourself write SOMETHING, even if it sucks. You can always go back and change the beginning and make it cooler later.

message 31: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Ellen ♥ wrote: "I know! I knew from the moment I started writing this novel that I would have to kill off the character. But I've grown so attached to them that I have a feeling that I'm going to cry when it does ..."

Gah, i know. :'( I knew from like … the fourth chapter or so. haha. When I started writing I was debating over whether or not to kill this character, and then I started to realize I had to do it. Sella kind of convinced me, actually. XD

message 32: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Sella wrote: "Advice for starting stories? Uhh ... just open a new document and write. Don't think too much about how to start it, or what the first line should be. You can edit an awesome first line in later. T..."

Agreed, agreed

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I usually start right in the middle of something going on and then kind of explain the situation as I go along. It usually works.

message 34: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "I know! I knew from the moment I started writing this novel that I would have to kill off the character. But I've grown so attached to them that I have a feeling that I'm going to c..."

Lol. Yes, I've heard Sella can be very persuasive with her man-eating threats and all.
Mmmm, I knew that the moment I started writing. And now, I'm absoluetly dreading the moment when I have to kill them off! D:
I'm dreading it... but I'm also really excited about it. And that just seems morbid. :/

message 35: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments what do you all think of this idea, i just thought of it 2 minutes ago, seriously. this would be the beginning:

My food is wanted all over the world. My chef’s hat has started its own line hats in China. My cooking spoons are made into currency in Russia. My last weeks apron sold on eBay for 100 grand.

My name is Chef Gustav Finnegan.

message 36: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments i was actually thinking it to be a humor novel.

that sounds really good. however, how would people who have trusted her all her life believe that she was the cause of a bomb explosion? that is my only question. there should be something before to shake her friends trust. i really like the idea though. you should do it!!!

message 37: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Ellen ♥ wrote: "Lol. Yes, I've heard Sella can be very persuasive with her man-eating threats and all.
Mmmm, I knew that the moment I started writing. And now, I'm absoluetly dreading the moment when I have to kill them off! D:
I'm dreading it... but I'm also really excited about it. And that just seems morbid. :/ ."

Yes, yes. She is very persuasive indeed. Well … not really to me, though. I'm a rebel. I've been inside her stomach more times than anyone else. lol!

haha, no ik what you mean. XD I'm looking forward to writing my death scene, too. I don't write a lot of death scenes, so it is always a fun experience, in a twisted way. On one hand I'm like "urgh, I feel so bad about this!" but on the other hand it's like "omg, this scene is going to be so amazing …" haha

message 38: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn (anealreilly) | 14 comments Kim wrote: "Got any advise or methods for starting stories that you think will help others?"
I say that you should start with the climax and then try to write the story up to it. That way you can foreshadow the climax. That is at least the theory.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

It's also good to have a name for at least a few of your characters to start off. My mind freezes up when I don't.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

You should have an outline of your characters. What I mean by this is that you should know what one of your characters is like, as in personality, likes and dislikes, and appearance. Then you sort of have something to build off of other than your idea.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes. I just don't write it down. Because I'm just...swell like that.

message 42: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "Lol. Yes, I've heard Sella can be very persuasive with her man-eating threats and all.
Mmmm, I knew that the moment I started writing. And now, I'm absoluetly dreading the moment w..."

Lol. Well, I've never, ever, ever been eaten or swallowed while depending on her mood by Sella before. I don't know wether I should feel lucky about it or sad that I haven't. :/

Ikr? I don't write many either so when I do get to write one it's like 'Yay! I finally get to write a death scene!' and then I realise I'm getting excited about writing a death scene and question my sanity. But if I wasn't sane then really nobody on here would be because we just looove writing death scenes! Lol.

message 43: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Poema Poematis wrote: "♫ Mandy ♫ wrote: "i was actually thinking it to be a humor novel.

that sounds really good. however, how would people who have trusted her all her life believe that she was the cause of a bomb expl..."

OOHH. OK. sounds really really really really great!!! i want to read it!!!

message 44: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments nice. the write way! :) forgive the pun.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

If you need motivation to start a story and Sella is busy or something, just keep in mind that I eat faces. Haha. They don't call me "the Splendid Face Eater" for nothing!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassie (Mallory/Skitts. I accept probie snacks) wrote: "If you need motivation to start a story and Sella is busy or something, just keep in mind that I eat faces. Haha. They don't call me "the Splendid Face Eater" for nothing!"

Really, she does eat faces. I was refusing to shut up, so I asked her to eat my face. But she only pretended to.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna (Maxy) wrote: "Cassie (Mallory/Skitts. I accept probie snacks) wrote: "If you need motivation to start a story and Sella is busy or something, just keep in mind that I eat faces. Haha. They don't call me "the Spl..."

Well, I love you too much to eat your face, Maxy! I love how you screamed, though.

Oops, gotta go.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassie (Mallory/Skitts. I accept probie snacks) wrote: "Anna (Maxy) wrote: "Cassie (Mallory/Skitts. I accept probie snacks) wrote: "If you need motivation to start a story and Sella is busy or something, just keep in mind that I eat faces. Haha. They do..."

Bahahaha. Yes, my scream was rather epic.

See you!

message 49: by Dana (new)

Dana Salman Your name's Cassie now, Skitts?

(q: what's your real name?)

message 50: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments The way I start my stories is I see a scene in my head further on in the book. So I write that down and the plot just kind of pours out! Whoo! :)

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.