Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Characterization

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments Afraid your characters are flatter than cardboard? Think you've got the biggest Mary Sue in the world? Get some advice here.

message 2: by Niki (new)

Niki | 2381 comments I love my characters. I could never call them flatter than cardboard, even if some of them are.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments Who exactly is Mary Sue?

message 4: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
A Mary Sue is not a who... It's a character in a book... The perfect characters without any flaws and who are extreamly idiotic idealists with no personality other than that perfectism.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (xmagical) | 405 comments Think: Bella from Tw*light. That would be a Mary Sue.
(Sorry to any Tw*light fans, I'm just not into it. >.< )

message 6: by Adris (new)

Adris (adristl) ♥Cal♥ wrote: "Think: Bella from Tw*light. That would be a Mary Sue.
(Sorry to any Tw*light fans, I'm just not into it. >.< )"

Hmm, I think she has layers (like an ogre). I'm not a Twi fan, but she definitely has some type of layers.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 19 comments I agree with Bella being a flat character. I actually think every Twilight character is flat.

I believe that in order to make interesting character's, you need to make flawed ones, unique ones. Don't go for cliche's and stereotypes. Make people that are real.

Bad characters can make an amazing book stupid, and awesome characters can make a rather stupid book tolerable or even wonderful! For me, character's are as important as plot. Don't be afraid to be daring and don't make characters just because you think that's the kind of character a person will like.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Have flat characters? Join Writers Against Cardboard Characters! It's the world's most awesome group (next to this one, of course)

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

That is just what I was going to recomend! :D

message 10: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments olo *LPN*

:P~

message 11: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (AudreyMarie13) | 15 comments Your charachters shouldn't be some weird alien that not one can relate too. I hate it when I read a book and I totally don't get what the character is thinking.
If you are are writing a book with an alien, just make it so people can relate to them.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed.

Tiani *The Writer* (TheNerdCenter) | 9 comments ♥Cal♥ wrote: "Think: Bella from Tw*light. That would be a Mary Sue.
(Sorry to any Tw*light fans, I'm just not into it. >.< )"

ME AGREES! :D Yeah but i really have to expaned on my characters. Thats y i took an old notebook and i make descriptions about them and or other parts in my book. :D

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

*LPN*

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

*LPN*

message 16: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Kriss wrote: "A Mary Sue is not a who... It's a character in a book... The perfect characters without any flaws and who are extreamly idiotic idealists with no personality other than that perfectism."

I remember the first time I ever heard that term I thought they meant the Sim2 character Mary-Sue. :D *laugh* Lol.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, Sims. *chuckles*

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I never understood that game. *shakes head*

message 19: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Really? Aw, I love it! Though, I never play it very often now... I spend most of my time writing or reading. *shakes head* Lol.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha... Really? One of my freinds plays it and I watched her one time and was like "This is the game??? Looks kinda boring..." O_o

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Not when you're morbid to other peoples lives like I am *evil grin*. I can be so mean to my sims when I want to be, Lol.

message 22: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments ... So mean that I scare myself sometimes! :/

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

hahahaha! Wow...

message 24: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments But seriously, it's so funny what you can do to them! My sister has started to play them, and its so funny because she freaks out when they do things that she doesn't want them to do. Its a comedy in itself! Lol.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

lol

message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments I have all the sims 1's and all of the sims 2's

ive been on my cousins sims 3 but i havent got it yet

its pretty funny :P
especially on sims1 when i trapped someone in a burning house with no windows and doors. tehe

also it was pretty funny in sim2 when one of my people died and i got the other dude to beg the grim reaper to let her live
too bad she got food poisening the next day though..

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

hahaha

message 28: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Kim wrote: "I have all the sims 1's and all of the sims 2's

ive been on my cousins sims 3 but i havent got it yet

its pretty funny :P
especially on sims1 when i trapped someone in a burning house with n..."

OMG! My teacher used to have the whole collection of Sims1 and when we had free time we used to sneak on it. And we would put these bomb thingys (I have no idea what I'm talking about- I'm going off memory) when we moved in, so that way they all died, we got the the money and house, and we were entertained! :D It was the perfect plan!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to play on Sims 1 a lot, but that stupid clown would not go away. He was annoying. I liked burning their houses down, though.

message 30: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Clowns? Haha, I don't remember any clowns! But, then again, the last time I played was when I was, what, ten? :/

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

The Sad Clown, I think he was. The Clown Catchers were over-priced, too. It made me mad.

message 32: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments I have no idea what you're talking about. But, oh well. Lol.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

You're lucky.

message 34: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Who, me?? Why??

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

You're lucky to have never encountered the Clown.

message 36: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Ah... Okayyyyyyyy then....????

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

The Clown gives people nightmares. At least it gave me one, anyway.

message 38: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Haha. I don't think I want to know about this anymore :/

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

You don't.
Be afraid. Be VERY afraid. *wink*

message 40: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments *RUNS AWAY SCREAMING*

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Aww! It's okay! I'm not going to eat your face! *runs after Ellen*

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I have never played... lol

message 43: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments *Hides underneath the bed*

Mandy you totally should! Sims 3 or Sims 2. No offense but the Sims 1 isn't that good. Compared to the others at least. Lol.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I need a brilliant idea.
I can't think of what to do with my pirate story.

message 45: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Blah. I am no help for plots atm. NIG is using up all of my imagination! :/

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I need a lot of things. Like a new song. And a new band. I'm kinda...bored with what's on my iPod.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassie wrote: "I need a lot of things. Like a new song. And a new band. I'm kinda...bored with what's on my iPod."

Do you like... Maroon5?

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Not really. I have two of their songs on my iPod and I am...not a fan.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah. I've only listened to two albums and I like Songs About Jane best. It has more innocent songs. *grins*
Hm... A Perfect Circle is good.
Coheed in Cambria?
Sugar?

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard of A Perfect Circle.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.