Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Where Do You Get Your Ideas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 160 (160 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments Where do you get your story ideas? From other books, movies, the back of a cereal packet? Tell us how ;)

message 2: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
I have no idea. They just fall out of the sky. Umm. Yeah … I can always remember WHERE I was when I get an idea but now HOW I got the idea. Usually it's somewhere really random, like in the shower, or when I'm working at the library, or outside of an Indian food restaurant … 

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments wow. random places

i got Elemental from a dream where theres this place where trust is everything and if you arent trusted then you get exiled. i have no idea how they ended up being magical people on a different planet though...

I got change from a picture i saw. it was of this island in the middle of the sea so i though, what if there was a race of people living on there..

message 4: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Oh, I got my idea for Rage while watching some random clip from Fantasia …

message 5: by Niki (new)

Niki | 2381 comments Adventures of a Wayward Witch was from that obnoxious Taylor Swift Romeo&Juliet song, Not Ready to Make Nice by the Dixie Chicks, and Charmed.

Angel for Hire was from Charmed.

Foreshadow was from a list of French names and an image in my brain of this angel child.

Scream was from a grammar mistake.

Before We Say Goodbye was from Friends, the TV show.

This is Mine was from a memory of being at the beach in Northern MI.

That's about it, as far as I can remember.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (xmagical) | 405 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I have no idea. They just fall out of the sky. Umm. Yeah … I can always remember WHERE I was when I get an idea but now HOW I got the idea. Usually it's somewhere really random, like in the shower,..."

I do that!!! xD Seriously, I could tell you where I got the idea, but I have no clue how. I get them a lot when I'm trying to concentrate on something else though. >.<

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments I travel to a secret place called Wonderland!!

message 8: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) Guinea Pigs was from staring out my window.

Letters to Ryan was from an IM chat with a friend.

Population 218 was from this giant clock countdown thing at the Museum of Science in Boston/Cambridge.

Vices was from a poem (anyone lived in a pretty how town by e. e. cummings).

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Pssh, I don't get ideas.

Actually, I do, but 70% of them don't work out after all. They usually barge into my head at random and refuse to leave until I start writing them down.
Songs can also be very inspirational.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I get them from other books usually, or I'll just be thinking about something and then an idea for a book starts forming.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 20, 2010 10:32AM) (new)

Let's see...

Daughter of the Stars came from a night when I couldn't sleep. I was at my Grandma's house on her back porch/deck, and the night just had a really magical feeling to it, like anything could happen.

Vigil came from a really silly thought I had. My goal was to get a hug from the guy I liked at one point, and it seems like we were always in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was just joking to myself and thought "Maybe fate is trying to keep us apart!" The thought was totally ridiculous, but it inspired the main storyline.

Breathe (or whatever it will actually be called) has been revised a few times, but the original idea came from when a boy came to visit my house and eat dinner with us. He used to be my next-door neighbor, but then he moved. Even though I didn't actually like him that way, I started writing a silly romance with the same type of thing. Then we started talking about genetic diseases in Biology and that was that.

message 12: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

~Noelle~ wrote: "I tend to get my ideas from visions and daydreams.

Also, books are helpful. Rick Riordan was my inspiration for the whole Greek Mythology mix.

Songs are also another source.

And.. other peo..."

RICK RIORDAANNN!!! Ah, that man is a genius. I was just reading the fourth PJ book … again. They are amazing. *sigh*

message 13: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

~Noelle~ wrote: "Ikr? I can't stop reading the series.. The man sure can make magic with words. :'D"

Indeed … <3
I kind of hated the movie though >_< ugh

message 14: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Hahaha. I know. I've gone on about a million angry rants concerning that movie. Rick Riordan, how could you let them do this to your brilliant book???!!! *cries* :(

message 15: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
Um. I got my last idea... uh after I got a paper cut. Then the other part of it while I was talking to my grandmama.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna (Maxy) wrote: "Let's see...

Daughter of the Stars came from a night when I couldn't sleep. I was at my Grandma's house on her back porch/deck, and the night just had a really magical feeling to it, like anythi..."

*gasp* Breathe is a splendid title!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Juliet wrote: "Um. I got my last idea... uh after I got a paper cut. Then the other part of it while I was talking to my grandmama. "

*smiles* Paper cuts can be quite inspirational, ya? I come up with all sorts of angry words I've never heard before.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Mallory McSkittles (Skitts) wrote: "Anna (Maxy) wrote: "Let's see...

Daughter of the Stars came from a night when I couldn't sleep. I was at my Grandma's house on her back porch/deck, and the night just had a really magical feelin..."

Thanks. XD We both get it because we know about Ben's... issue... with breathing-related things... *sniffles*

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

*weep*
I'm sorry. I feel like Mitch is being too critical of Ben in the RP because he's so skinny. He is a zjark.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Mallory McSkittles (Skitts) wrote: "*weep*
I'm sorry. I feel like Mitch is being too critical of Ben in the RP because he's so skinny. He is a zjark."

Nah. It's fine. To me, it doesn't seem like he's critical; more like he just notices it... a lot. XD

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, thanks. Sorry, I'm feeling particularly sarcastic right now. Maybe it's because my parents are makeing fun of me for checking out a Beatles CD from the Library.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Mallory McSkittles (Skitts) wrote: "Oh, thanks. Sorry, I'm feeling particularly sarcastic right now. Maybe it's because my parents are makeing fun of me for checking out a Beatles CD from the Library."

You WHAT?!!! WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MALLORY?!!!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I am Charlie the Unicorn. I took Mallory's kidney.
Actually, I only wanted "Twist and Shout". I like that song.

For those of you who do not already know this: MY PROFILE PICTURE IS NOT OF THE BEATLES.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Mallory McSkittles (Skitts) wrote: "I am Charlie the Unicorn. I took Mallory's kidney.

For those of you who do not already know this: MY PROFILE PICTURE IS NOT OF THE B..."

Oh. Phew! *wipes forehead in relief* But wait... You took her friggin' kidney! NOOOO!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

hahahaha

My inspiration comes from many things. Movies, songs, conversations...

message 26: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Movies, random toddlers, songs, short stories, poems, sidewalks, rocks, pillows, colours, paintings, book covers, candles, scents..

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna (Maxy) wrote: "Mallory McSkittles (Skitts) wrote: "I am Charlie the Unicorn. I took Mallory's kidney.

For those of you who do not already know this..."

Yes. I took her friggin' kidney.
And then I changed her name to Cassie. (still trying to confuse people about my real name *wink* so don't you be telling people, Maxypads!)

message 28: by Anjali (last edited Feb 23, 2010 01:22PM) (new)

Anjali | 148 comments Well, you see, a part of my brain is mentally disturbed.
I get my ideas from that part.
It is a very small part of the brain, and you should know about because everybody has it, but they use it in different ways.
I use it for writing.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

The first thing I was working on just came out of no where. The second came from an experience in Wal Mart. The third came up from no where and the fourth me and my ex-best friend stayed up for like four hours trying to come up with a plot. btw I didn't take any ideas from her, I came up with it all myself.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Daniela wrote: "The first thing I was working on just came out of no where. The second came from an experience in Wal Mart. The third came up from no where and the fourth me and my ex-best friend stayed up for lik..."

My ex-best friend helped me come up with a story once too, but the story deteriorated just like our friendship did.

message 31: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
You all are depressing with your ex-best-friend-ly-ness :/

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Indeed. I was just barely crying about it, actually.

message 33: by Kriss (new)

Aw... I'm sorry. It does suck when you lose a best frined >.>

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Pretty much. Especially when the rest of your old friends go with him/her and they refuse to acknowledge you. Thank goodness I have real friends now.

message 35: by Kriss (new)

Indeed. That's always a way to learn who your real friends are... I've got pretty good friends right now. Haven't lost one in years O__o

message 36: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments I get my ideas from anything :)

message 37: by Kriss (new)

Same here :/ It's actually kinda weird the things I can get ideas from, sometimes.

message 38: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Hahaha, I know EXACTLY what you mean :)

message 39: by Kriss (new)

I'm glad I'm not alone :P

message 40: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments In this group, you are never alone ;)

message 41: by Kriss (new)

Haha, true.

message 42: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Yeah, I bet one day we may all end up in the same asylum for our morbidness.

message 43: by Kriss (new)

Oh yes, and we may even be going through the same treatments for our insanity.

message 44: by Adris (new)

Adris (adristl) AND we'll probably all escape together :)

message 45: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Hehe. I can sooo picture that! Lol.

message 46: by Sam (new)

Sam (bookmarksandbourbon) | 3 comments I get my ideas from all over, they just kinda pop inside of my head. some times its from re search other times from songs

message 47: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments I get my ideas from things I see.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm pretty sure my ideas just slap me in the face(sometimes literally). It's like I'm spacing out in Geometry class{or any class for that matter), and all of a sudden I'm ewxploring an idea that is instantly stuck on my mind.

message 49: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Haha. That happens all the time for me, but instead its science.

message 50: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
Gahhh I'm am so freaking ashamed of myself. First of all I just realised I love Taylor Swift, which pretty much goes against everything I stand for. And second of all, I got my inspiration for my story idea from one of her songs. *facepalm*

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.