Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Tips

Comments Showing 1-50 of 188 (188 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments Have you got any tips for writing that you want to share? Any untold wisdom shut up in that brain of yours that would really help others? Share with us!

message 2: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments -Don't stop in the middle of sentences.

message 3: by Madeline (new)

Madeline lol

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (xmagical) | 405 comments Listening to music quietly while you write has always helped me and my friends--we try and set the music to the mood we want to write, and I've found out the emotions normally turn out better this way. ^_^

message 5: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
Don't read any good books. Trust me. You'll just want to give up writing.

DARN YOU MARQUEZ!!

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments haha

Never say that you have writers block.
You dont
It is just where you cant think of anything to write
Puck up the pen ((or keyboard)) and write something - Anything - you will get through it and then you'll think 'why was i stuck?'

message 7: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Don't pause. Just keep going, something will hit you as you write. If you have to rewrite a sentence ten times before you figure out where your going next thats fine. Just keep going *cough*swimming*cough*

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments haha

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments have the plot figured out for the first few pages

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (mariachhile) | 8772 comments Mod
By the posts I've read of yours Laura, I think that you're a planner. I'm not. lol

yes. I read all my writing from kindergarten to fourth grade and decided it sucked bananas :(

i know!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

♥Cal♥ wrote: "Listening to music quietly while you write has always helped me and my friends--we try and set the music to the mood we want to write, and I've found out the emotions normally turn out better this ..."

This really works. I can only write fight scenes listening to metal and/or screamo. Or Green Day.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Baxter wrote: "Don't read any good books. Trust me. You'll just want to give up writing.

DARN YOU MARQUEZ!!"

I know what you mean.

BUT DON'T GIVE UP WRITING!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

ChrysantheLlama (Aka Maria if you haven't guessed) wrote: "By the posts I've read of yours Laura, I think that you're a planner. I'm not. lol"

Me neither. I kind of have a plot idea, but I usually abandon it and it usually turns out pretty awesome.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I. Suck. At. Planning.

message 17: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments olo I suck at planning everything except characters..

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I suck duck eggs through a metal tube at planning.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a question. Please please answer!

So lets say most of my story is in first person, past tense. But when the character is stepping back and describing things, such as his looks, is it weird to change to present tense and then go back to past? Does that make sense? Sometimes it bugs me when people do that, but it works in other cases, so I dunno...

message 20: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments no, it's not weird.

message 21: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 149 comments Anna (Maxy) wrote: "I have a question. Please please answer!

So lets say most of my story is in first person, past tense. But when the character is stepping back and describing things, such as his looks, is it weir..."

Not at all in reading they call it using a flashback,

It was one of our lit terms

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Fyopiagdt the CIA Pirate wrote: "Anna (Maxy) wrote: "I have a question. Please please answer!

So lets say most of my story is in first person, past tense. But when the character is stepping back and describing things, such as h..."

I thought flashbacks were when a character goes back to an event in the past?

message 23: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments yes...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna (Maxy) wrote: "I have a question. Please please answer!

So lets say most of my story is in first person, past tense. But when the character is stepping back and describing things, such as his looks, is it weir..."

I think it depends on how you do it... it can be really good and make sense or be really annoying...

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna (Maxy) wrote: "Fyopiagdt the CIA Pirate wrote: "Anna (Maxy) wrote: "I have a question. Please please answer!

So lets say most of my story is in first person, past tense. But when the character is stepping back a..."

that's what I thought too...

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I always try to use as many adjectives when I'm describing something.. I think giving a good picture of a character/place/object to a reader makes them want to keep reading because they can picture the scene in their heads..

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

LABEL YOUR FREAKING DIALOGUE.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I concur.

message 29: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Marie wrote: "This really isn't a tip... more of a question. Has anyone ACTUALLY heard the voices in their head? I'm serious. Really, has anyone ACTUALLY heard them? I'd like to know I'm not alone... or insane....."

Yes. I'm dead serious: I have heard them..we fight sometimes.

message 30: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Don't use fragments ALL THE TIME.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Marie wrote: "This really isn't a tip... more of a question. Has anyone ACTUALLY heard the voices in their head? I'm serious. Really, has anyone ACTUALLY heard them? I'd like to know I'm not alone... or insane....."

You're not crazy... :D Or if you are I'm with you...

message 32: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments If that's a definition of crazy then I'm in serious need of some help... Lol. :D

message 33: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments me too...

message 34: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Lol. I think that may apply for the 300 people who are active on here. Lol.

message 35: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) | 10786 comments olo

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

hahaha

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Marie wrote: "This really isn't a tip... more of a question. Has anyone ACTUALLY heard the voices in their head? I'm serious. Really, has anyone ACTUALLY heard them? I'd like to know I'm not alone... or insane....."

Oh, yes. Mitch tells me he hates me all the time. I just remind him I'm the only reason he's married to Delilah.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

*SPN*

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Try to put as much emotion as possible into your writing.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't sneeze while you try to write. You always wind up with funny pencil marks on your paper.

message 41: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Mandy♥ wrote: "Don't sneeze while you try to write. You always wind up with funny pencil marks on your paper."

HAHA! Do you know that from personal experience I wonder???

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Ummm... maybe.... :P

message 43: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments LOL!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

:P

message 45: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments You know what's sad/funny? Is that I can picture that happening to myself. Though, I don't write on paper, I just use it for note taking and such. Lol. But still.... I can imagine it.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

haha... or it's really annoying when you're typing and you cough/sneeze and hit a bunch of random keys... :P

message 47: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Haha. Nah, I've never had anything like that happen to me... yet. I don't want to jinx myself. Lol.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

haha

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't write on the bus. Doesn't work. Even though I do it all the time. I just can't read it.

message 50: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments And reading on the bus annoys me because when you go over the bumps and such it distracts you!!

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.