Harry Potter discussion

JK Rowling > Lawsuit against Rowling for plagerism

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miss Ryoko (last edited Feb 18, 2010 01:27PM) (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) Hey everyone! Don't know if any of you heard about this, but I just saw this article:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article....

Of course, I don't really believe it, sure there are probably similarities, it's bound to happen with any literature,but either way I would like to know how that affects the Harry Potter theme park.

Anyway, in case you're interested, you can read the article and discuss it here

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina | 32 comments I haven't read that book, but still, I don't think she has stolen any ideas. Anyway, most fantasy-books have some similarities. An example is LoTR and Harry Potter. Anyway, if this is enough for a lawsuit, I know several authors who should be sued for copying things in the HP-books.

Don't think it will do very much to the theme-park though. The fans will still be here won't they?

message 3: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) Well of course the fans will be here, but at the bottom of the article it said that the movie and theme park could also breach copyright....so I'm wondering how they could possibly be affected by this...they seem to have nothing to do with it but I don't know the whole story.

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina | 32 comments don't think she'll lose. It's really not enough similarities.

http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/ind...

message 5: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) Wow... "According to the suit, some of these similar elements include a wizard competition and wizards using trains as a mode of transportation"

Well if that's the case they better be suing lots of people for wizards or magic folk using trains as transportation because I'm sure its happened in many other stories.

And they better sue the show Wizards of Waverly Place because there is a wizard competition in that show too. >_<

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina | 32 comments I know. You don't see Tolkien's son sueing JKR because both books have a wise old wizard with long beard.

If you make a wizarding world it is bound to have a prison, and competitions isn't really something new. And the half-human half mythical creature-thing really isn't a good argument.

They will never be able to win this case, and even if they do they'll probably be murdered by some furious HP-fans. I can't believe they actually wanted GoF to go out of production, it's ridiculous.

message 7: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments Lies, I tell you! Lies!!
I'd have to say, Eragon and Lord of the Rings have more in common...
Willy the Wizard? Please! And I swear, if this slows down the theme park, I will die!

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina | 32 comments Yeah, well I was just making an example. but siriusly! they both use train as a form of transport!? wtf? They will NEVER win this thing! can't even believe that they dared to do this! Everyone will hate them after this. They will get eggs on their windows every week..

message 9: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments haha for sure. I actually went online and read parts of "Willy the Wizard". It is absolutely ridiculous. I recommend it to anybody who wants a massive laugh with their friends (it's what I did)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't believe it.

message 11: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 16 comments Apparently this "Willy the Wizard" is also only like 36 pages...

No way they can win this.

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (alannarey) | 23 comments There is no way and I agree with all of you, that if they are sueing her because of the Willy the Wizard then they better sue Wizards of Waverly Place oh and the Simpsons because they took stuff from Harry Potter too. Its stupid, why do people have to argue over money and popularity?

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (beatrixkiddo) | 63 comments There are lot of examples in literature (and I mean LITERATURE, not short tales) that have similar subjects and nothing have happened. I remember, for example, Robinson Crusoe and Jules Verne's The Misterious Island. And what can you tell me about Lord of the flies?? It talks about castaways too. And Lost series...

There always will be people needed of others fame, because they're too mediocre to get something important for themselves. I only hope that the judge and tribunal are not HP haters, or religious fanatics, or something like that: it's the only way I see JKR losing this fool sue.

message 14: by Dana (new)

Dana (ngom) | 1 comments I read all the excerpts. The man who wrote that book seems like he learned English as a second language. Wow, a book about wizards is full of wizardy things. Who'da thunk it, right?

And The Worst Witch predates both Willy and Harry. Maybe Jill Murphy should sue his estate for copyright infringement.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

whatever! i dont belive it. jk rowling is a good, loyal, and honset author! she would never do anything like that

message 16: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments They should sue Chris Paolini cuz Eragon is waaaaay to similar to LOTR. More similar than Harry and Willy, anyway. These ppl are just jealous. JKR probably hasn't even heard of Willy the Wizard.

message 17: by Varna (new)

Varna | 7 comments I don't believe it, if you've read about her biographies, she clearly explains how she began writing the Harry Potter story line on a napkin in a restaurant in London.

message 18: by Varna (new)

Varna | 7 comments It's very interesting to read about her life before Harry Potter and how she got struck with these wonderful ideas for the Harry Potter series.

message 19: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (thebiracialbookdragon) | 42 comments Just someone wanting get a piece of her pie is all. Sure there may be similarities but a lot of books have similarities even more when they in the same genere or similar things. There is another lady that wrote a book that used the word muggle and is saying that is where Rowling got the name. Even though the muggles in this person book are a tiny folk sort of like gnomes. This lady also had a characters named Lotty Potter, Larry Potter and Lily Potter. She has a site called realmuggles.com

I don’t think Jo has anything to worry about this same person tried to stir something up back in 2000 when GOF came out and it didn’t go anywhere have to doubt it would 10 years later.

There is a magical competition in the Erec Rex Series perhaps Rowling needs to go after Kaza Kingsley.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

thats cool

message 21: by Christy (new)

Christy (authorchristygthomas) | 1 comments I agree that writers are ripping off from one another left and right, but is any idea a new idea? I keep seeing references to Tolkien, but Potter and Eragon are much more similar to LeGuin's Earthsea cycle - wizard school, true-name vs. use-name, etc. If you want one that sounds even more familiar (yet the author finds no beef with Rowling), check out Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic. I think most of the lawsuits come from those who have been fairly unsuccessful with their own writing and want to be famous somewhere - hence, sue the writer who has "made it."

message 22: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments I completely agree. By the way,I love Neil Gaiman!

message 23: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (thebiracialbookdragon) | 42 comments Very true Christy few people have even heard of the books unitl they decided to sue Rowling. Rowling is not the first to write about a wizard school and ceartinly will not be the last either.