Authors Without A Yacht (AWaY) discussion

How You Can Help > Report Suspected Piracy

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Here's how you can help.

1. Report these auctions to the authors or their publishers. Some publishers have a "Report Piracy" link or form on their websites.

2. Report them yourselves to the ic3 and to the SIIA and to the Feds. Or send these urls to the authors.

http://www.siia.net/piracy/report/report...

http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.asp...

3, Complain to EBay and to PayPal. The more complaint received, the greater the likelihood that EBay will ban alleged evil-doers and cooperate with the authorities in bringing these people to justice.

Authors, if you have a handy URL which will take readers to any publishers' Report Form, please add a comment on this thread.

message 2: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

The rules have changed. Reporting is tortuous, if not tortuorous!

message 3: by Ilovetoread (new)

Ilovetoread | 51 comments Thanks for the tips, sometimes it's hard for a reader to know how to help.

message 4: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Ilovetoread...

You now have to jump through a lot of hoops for a chance at a $1million reward for info leading to a conviction.

Better to report piracy to publishers sites, or to authors, or anonymously to the new FindAPirate.blogspot.com site.

message 5: by Ilovetoread (new)

Ilovetoread | 51 comments Not that I wouldn't love a million dollars, but money if not my motivation for wanting to take part. Just this morning I noticed a pirated book. I know there's a zillion of them. This particular books title caught my interest and I didn't know the author's name so I looked her up. I know it's not uncommon at all but the book from what I can tell is her first published and it was pirated 2 days after release. I don't know her particular feelings on piracy but i thought how discouraging this must be so I'm sending her a comment with the links and I'll give her the links above.

message 6: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Good for you, Ilovetoread. I apologize if I gave the impression that a monetary reward might be an incentive. If I did, I misspoke.

It seems to me that there's a lot of complacency about ebook piracy. If the same 1,000 pirates belong to the same 3,000 ebook sharing yahoogroups, and to the better known pirate sites, then, maybe the problem is not immense. (1,000 to 3,000 pirates.)

We do know that some pirates do post to multiple pirate groups and also do social networking on Goodreads, Facebook etc.

However, what if there are 1,000 x 3,000 active pirates? That's 3 million just on yahoo.

If a pirate on EBay says "If 3,000 people on Ebay are reselling ebooks, it must be legal" then how many people on the internet say "If 3 million people are sharing ebooks, it must be legal"?