fiction files redux discussion

Authors > Dennis LaHane

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I read Mystic River before it was made into a movie. At the end of the first chapter I thought I knew who did it and why. By the middle of the book I thought I was wrong. At the end of the book I found I was right about who but not why. With Shutter Island at the end of the second chapter I thought I knew what was wrong with this picture and why. Midddle as confused as Teddy. End I was right about the wrong but not the why. Haha! I haven't read any of his other stuff. Anyone a fan? Is this his standard formula? I'm still mulling over the end of shutter Island but would love to chat about it.

message 2: by Martyn (new)

Martyn | 299 comments I just got Shutter Island from the library...intend to read it after another book. I'm actually reading five books at the moment...that's mad.

message 3: by Martyn (new)

Martyn | 299 comments Well Margaret, I started Shutter Island...I like the dark humour that's quite evident...hope to finish it over the weekend.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you'll enjoy it. Let me know.

message 5: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
. . . here's an interview my friend bill kennower did with dennis lehane:

http://www.authormagazine.org/intervi...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks JE. I think I'll pick up The Given Day. I liked what he had to say about each of us having our own voice. Stand up and use it. He also used your word "Epic".

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about 100 pages into The Given Day. It's very different from the others I've read. I love his characters.

message 8: by Christopher, Swanny (new)

Christopher Swann (christopherswann) | 189 comments Mod
(Potential spoilers for "Shutter Island" below):

"Shutter Island" was a great mind-twist. Sometimes novels like that bother me because I feel I've been had, but not in a "oh, you got me!" kind of way...more of a, "WTF? That's completely bogus" kind of way.

If I've been given the same information or clues as the protagonist, then I feel it's fair to be fooled. Especially if there are Watson-type characters in the story who don't get it, either, until the end.

Haven't read anything else of his yet. What would you all recommend? I think I've got "Mystic River" lying around somewhere...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Mystic River is really good. Sad. The Given Day is a bit Epic...

message 10: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

. . . somebody was telling me once how an interviewer recently asked lehane what his inspiration were--and he said vodka and weed! i almost peed my pants . . .

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished The Given Day. An epic historical drama. Not at all like the rest of LeHane's work. Much slower pace, less of a page turner. It was good but not great. Thank God I finished it! hahaha!

message 12: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

. .. thank god you liked my epic "historical" drama marge!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

WoH is fantastic and I read a version with three of the last four chapters missing. What's the hold up on the finished product? I can't wait to get my hands on it!