Olathe Public Library- GoodReads Branch discussion

YOUR Book Reviews > YOUR reviews!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Librarian (new)

The Librarian (thingundermybed) Try as we might, we can't read everything! This is your spot to write a review. Let us know what you think!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 22 comments I just finished reading Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. This book was recommended to me by a lady at a garage sale, and she was right, I loved it! The book starts with a failed attempt to kidnap the president of a (what I took to be)South American Country. When the president isn't at the party a hostage situation ensues. The book continues as the months past, describing how the captives and the terrorists form friendships and more. I felt like this was a book of grey areas. I didn't think any characters were all bad or good. I found all the relationships between the main characters, to be complex and engrossing. I look forward to reading this book again and to reading more books by Ann Patchett in the future.

message 3: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 26 comments Mod
Rachel, I loved Bel Canto so much. And you are right about grey areas in it, which makes it a much more interesting book.

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Bennett (sheilabennett) | 4 comments Read Bel Canto last year and was very intrigued by the beginning of the book. The development of the relationship between the characters was very interesting. But, was really disappointed in the ending as I did not like the conclusion at all.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 22 comments Sheila wrote: "Read Bel Canto last year and was very intrigued by the beginning of the book. The development of the relationship between the characters was very interesting. But, was really disappointed in the ..."

What didn't you like about the ending? I felt like the way the stand-off ended was realistic. I didn't like the epiloge.

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Bennett (sheilabennett) | 4 comments Yes, I think it was the epilogue that I really didn't like. And I agree the ending of the stand-off was realistic.

message 7: by Donna Jo (last edited Apr 05, 2010 07:02PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 26 comments Mod
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a most amazing book, biography, social commentary, medical research ethics, all presented lucidly and with dignity. Starting with the life of Henrietta Lacks, who died at Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1951, we learn about her family who do not learn of the use the scientific community has made of their mother's cells until years later. We are introduced to the doctors and researchers who used her cells to make great strides in scientific research. And we learn about the moral, ethical, and financial aspects that using those cells created.
Sklott creates a good balance between those issues, always trying to remind us that behind the scientific uses of the HeLa cells, there was a young woman and her family.
Thank you, Rebecca Skloot. And thank you, Henrietta Lacks.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 22 comments [image error]

What a fun read! I loved the concept of Abraham Lincoln fighting vampires in his spare time. If you are looking for an entertaining read this is the book for you! This is the first book that I have read about Abraham Lincoln (even if it is about vampires the major events in his life are true). It has made me want to read a good bio of his life. Any recommendations?
I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars

message 9: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "[image error]

What a fun read! I loved the concept of Abraham Lincoln fighting vampires in his spare time. If you are looking for an entertaining read this ..."

Hey Rachel, so glad you had fun with this book! We have lots of books on Lincoln and on events surrounding his presidency. Seems like we add several new ones to the collection every year. Not all are straight biographies...a lot of them can be found on the shelves at Dewey Decimal number 973.7. If you need help just ask at the reference desk the next time you are in the library.

Olathe Public Library- GoodReads Branch

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bel Canto (other topics)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann Patchett (other topics)