Olathe Public Library- GoodReads Branch discussion

Librarian Book Reviews > Staff Reviews

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ralph (new)

Ralph (bookfarmerkc) | 18 comments I just finished reading Stieg Larsson's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I had to read it after hearing about the late Larsson's work with the anti-fascist movement in Sweden. It's a really good mystery, a tightly written work that made me sneak a read whenever I could. I understand Larsson planned 10 books in the series, what a shame we only have three. I'm looking forward to reading the others, and I'm also looking forward to the biography on Larsson due out in April.

message 2: by Ralph (new)

Ralph (bookfarmerkc) | 18 comments No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet, and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process

Colin Beavan, his wife and toddler daughter attempt to live for a year with no environmental impact in a New York City apartment. No taxis, no subway, no car, no trash, no takeout, no elevators, no TV, no electricity (except one solar panel attached to a battery pack) and no food grown more than 250 miles away -- clearly no mean feat. What I enjoyed about the book was Beavan's exploration of other authors, ideas and websites and his ability to link them to his life and ours.

At one point, Beavan asks, "What if we redesigned our economy to include the cost of externalities like car exhaust and toxic garbage? What if we replaced GDP as our measure of national success with some measure of life quality? What if we designed our economy around the throughput of material and energy? After all, if the environmental and economic crises we currently face are any indicators, things the way they are aren't working."

What if?

message 3: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
I fear there are too many out there who are NOT convinced things as the are aren't working.

message 4: by Ralph (last edited Mar 20, 2010 08:21AM) (new)

Ralph (bookfarmerkc) | 18 comments Right Now: A 12-Step Program For Defeating The Obama Agenda

Somewhere out there exists an in-depth, thoughtful tome for Republicans anxious to win back the White House and Congress. This isn't it. Steele continues the vacuous rant favored by many GOP followers -- liberals bad, conservatives good. Steele's book is filled with lies, inaccuracies and cliches. Just to make sure readers know who the bad guys are, Steele incorporates the word "liberal" in every other paragraph throughout the book and sometimes in every other sentence.

It may be true that Republicans should return to their Reagan/Goldwater roots to re-win public opinion, as Steele says, but Goldwater possessed an intellectual demeanor that attracted dozens of young converts. Reagan had a stable of scriptwriters that made him appealing to the masses. Steele sounds like a speaker at a Tea Party rally -- full of anger and slim on facts. If this is the best the Republicans can offer, it's going to be a long, cold winter for the GOP.

message 5: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Ralph wrote: "Right Now: A 12-Step Program For Defeating The Obama Agenda

Somewhere out there exists an in-depth, thoughtful tome for Republicans anxious to win back the White House and Congress...."

But tell us how you REALLY feel Ralph! :)

message 6: by Donna Jo (last edited Mar 23, 2010 05:12PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 26 comments Mod
I have just finished Stitches A Memoir by David Small Stitches: A Memoir by David Small. Shelved with the YA books, this graphic novel is a memoir of a painful childhood and adolescence complicated by a diagnosis of cancer. The pictures do a wonderful job of conveying a story almost too painful for words.

message 7: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Donna Jo wrote: "I have just finished Stitches A Memoir by David Small Stitches: A Memoir by David Small. Shelved with the YA books, this graphic novel is a memoir of a painful..."

Will have to look this one up....seems we all know someone who has suffered through this, or is right now. Glad to see teens are getting some material about it geared toward them...

message 8: by Gregg (new)

Gregg | 2 comments Donna Jo wrote: "I have just finished Stitches A Memoir by David Small Stitches: A Memoir by David Small. Shelved with the YA books, this graphic novel is a memoir of a painful..."

It's worth mentioning that David Small is a Caldecott Award-winning illustrator of more than 40 children's picture books. Stitches shows what a talented and versatile artist he is, capable of touching a wide range of readers.

message 9: by Donna Jo (new)

Gregg wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "I have just finished Stitches A Memoir by David Small Stitches: A Memoir by David Small. Shelved with the YA books, this graphic novel is a me..."

Thanks, Gregg. I should have mentioned that. I don't see as many children's books as I used to.

I was just so impressed with this book--and then reading the afterword and the back cover flap added so much more to the story.

message 10: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Altar of Eden by James Rollins This one (Altar of Eden by James Rollins) will appeal to the Jurassic Park crowd. There are botched experiments resulting in monsters, hidden tropical islands filled with danger, dark rooms harboring lethal threats, lots and lots of action and a bit of romance. But if you object to graphic violence (having one's arm wrenched from one's body etc.) you may want to pass on this one.

message 11: by Donna Jo (new)

I am probably the last person on earth to read a Tom Clancy book. But I just finished The Hunt for Red October The Hunt for Red October (Special 15th Anniversary Edition) by Tom Clancy , and I must admit I enjoyed it immensely. Just my kind of adventure story. I am eager to a) read some more of Clancy's books, and b) watch the movie with Sean Connery.

message 12: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Donna Jo wrote: "I am probably the last person on earth to read a Tom Clancy book. But I just finished The Hunt for Red October The Hunt for Red October (Special 15th Anniversary Edition) by Tom Clancy, and I must admit I enjoyed i..."
The movie is terrific! Of course, anything with Sean Connery.....

message 13: by Ralph (last edited Apr 08, 2010 05:42PM) (new)

Ralph (bookfarmerkc) | 18 comments Fly Fishing with Darth Vader by Matt Labash
P.J. O'Rourke promises the author, Matt Labash, is "Hunter S. Thompson on acid." But wait, Hunter S. Thompson was, not infrequently, on some mind-altering substance. Labash does mention the occasional drink, but no evidence of anything harder here.

I did enjoy the essays compiled here, most originally published in The Weekly Standard. The Darth Vader of the title is former Vice-President Dick Cheney, and Labash makes him seem like one of the boys. I was also surprised to find that Kinky Friedman was an early supporter of civil rights. Guess that redneck thing is more of an act than I thought. The final piece, on New Orleans through the eyes of the Rebirth Brass Band, reads like a funeral dirge for that great, dying city, as does an earlier essay on Detroit.If you enjoy essays that capture the essence of some of our most interesting political animals, and some of the world's most dangerous places, this book deserves a read.

message 14: by Ralph (last edited Jul 15, 2010 11:27AM) (new)

Ralph (bookfarmerkc) | 18 comments The Girl Who Played with Fire The sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo maintains the tight writing and page-turning urgency of the first book. As I've said before, fiction is my candy, I only read it as a treat every now and then, when I need a break from the real world. When I'm reading Stieg Larsson's books, I keep trying to steal just a few more moments to find out what happens next. While the ending of this book seems less plausible than the ending for the first, I still enjoyed every minute of this tale of murder and deception. Lisbeth Salander, the main character from Larsson's first book, finds herself accused of a triple murder, and her former lover and cohort, crusading journalist Mikael Blomvist, works overtime to find her and prove her innocence. Blomvist's magazine, Millennium plans to publish an expose and a book that reveals the names of a number of people tied to the Swedish sex trade. Apparently someone doesn't want that book published, and Blomvist must find out who and how they are tied to the murders and to Salander. While the ending seemed a little weak, it's still a thriller worth devouring.