iPulp Fiction discussion

Okay, I'm an iPulper, Now, but...

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Mayer | 2 comments Hokay, KB, ya talked me into it; I signed up for iPulp and bought a couple of books. I've read everything on hand, and I like to read myself to sleep. Imagine my disappointment to discover that I couldn't print out my purchases. At least, there is no apparent way to do so, though some sort of possible print option flashes across the screen right before the splash page. I imagine I can print them out a page at a time, but I don't have the patience for that. Is there a simple "Print" command for printing out the entire story? Thanks. Good-looking site, btw.

Yours truly,
John Mayer

PS  Looks like the "Group Rules" are that there are no rules. That's from Rabelais, isn't it?

message 2: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Shaw (ipulpfiction) | 14 comments Mod
John,

Thanks for becoming an "iPulper." (I like that.) I understand your disappointment about printing—but there is a reason.

While iPulpfiction.com runs on desktop computers, it was conceived for the wireless generation—to be read anytime, anywhere, (even in bed at night) on laptops, notebooks, smart phones, eBook readers with modern browsers, and the mysterious tablet device Apple was planning. FYI: we guessed right on the iPad specifications, and the full iPulp store and Library will display beautifully. The only difference is the stories will scroll instead of the page-flipping because iPad doesn't support Flash. More than 200 of our stories are mobile-ready, and all stories will be mobile by early March.

Actually, there are a few difference's between iPulp stories and eBooks. Most are aimed at piracy because, with prices as low as 25¢, we need to make sure that people who read the stories pay for them. We allow an account holder the ability to attach up to four other users to their library (share with friends and family), but we aggressively protect the content beyond that. We have taken these steps to lure name authors who are leery of digital publication and saw what happened after the digital publication of THE LOST SYMBOL (the DRM was immediate cracked and 100,000 pirated copies were downloaded within days of publication), and Stephen King's early digital foray with THE PLANT (lots of readers, nobody paid).

Here's how we protect our content:

1) Disallow printing. We could turn printing on for our classic titles, but not for our original titles and series by name authors and third-party publishers.

2) Prevent text copying. We come from educational media and actually actually started doing this on our popular educational site. We wanted to prevent students from copying and pasting our material into their reports. We made them read the content, assimilate it, and re-write it. Teacher liked the idea.

3) Deliver data from "the cloud." We don't transmit eBook files to the reader's drive.

I hope you can accept the tradeoff of printing for very inexpensive content.

Thanks,

Keith Shaw, Publisher

message 3: by John (last edited Feb 19, 2010 07:26PM) (new)

John Mayer | 2 comments I can accept it philosophically, but I can't make use of it. I have none of the mobile devices you mention – though, if I manage to find work in my new field I might get an iPod to use for a pharmaceutical app – and really don't find reading fiction on my computer enjoyable. I had thought, though, that finding a story on a whim, printing it out and reading it in bed at night, the way I read most of my fiction, might be rather pleasant. Being able to print it at a larger font size, since my vision is not great, would have been a bonus. I would have thought any of the concerns you raise would be equally true of print, with the copy-paste aspect slightly less so, though OCR would seem to make it just a matter of a tad more work on the part of the student (what they would gain by pasting in long quotes of the assigned work I don't quite grasp).

Even if I get an iPod it seems I"m still not going to be able to use iPulp, if it is to be all in the cloud and not on my device, so even then I could not read in bed (maybe there's some sort of blue tooth arrangement that gets around that). Nonetheless, though it's not likely to be of much use to me, I do wish you well, for what that's worth, and hope your effort is a great success. As I've said before, anyone who labors to save the short story has my full support. I can't imagine a childhood, in fact, WITHOUT short stories. Weren't they the very essence of our reading books?

Yours truly,
John Mayer