Unconventional Greats discussion

Top Fives

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oddmix (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Oddmix | 7 comments Mod
What are the top five books that should be on the must read lists but typicaly are not.

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Hannah Young (hannahyoung) Oooooh wow! Hard to choose and these aren't all favourites but books I think everyone could really get something out of...but I think:

1. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith:
Because it's so enchanting and magical with so many amazing characters and storylines and events. It's hilarious, exciting, original, romantic and even though it was written sometime in the 40s of 50s it is still very relevant to now and Cassandra is a pretty "modern woman" in lots of ways.

2. Wise Children by Angela Carter:
I studied this book for my AS Level Literature class and got such a giggle out of it, and it's made me a bit of a Carter fan. The people in the books are so crazy and bizarre, and everything's a bit topsy-turvy and very confusing, but it's actually a really fun book once you get your head around the family tree!

3. The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge:
I'm just biased towards this because it has a lot of sentimental value to me. But it's such a gorgeous, fairytale-esque book which I think most women/girls will enjoy just because it's so innocent and lovely and Victorian. It's a children's book, but so what? I think it's better than lots of adult ones :D

4. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold:
I only read this a month or so back but I really liked it just because it was unusual and put such a hopeful stance on a horrific thing. Bits of it were weird and sometimes I thought it could have done without others, but overall it was a really inspiring, heartfelt book which everyone should read.

5. Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce:
Yes, another children's book (and I'm not sure if it is one of the commonly listed books actually) but again, I just love it. It's surreal and ghostly-in-a-non-ghost-y-way and just a magical book with memorable characters and things. I used to read this all the time when I was younger and couldn't sleep because it's so dreamy and has a sort of lullaby-tone to the narration somehow.

message 3: by Tory (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

Tory | 4 comments The Hotel New Hampshire, The Catalpa Tree, Circle of Friends, The Girls: A Novel, and... I can't think of another one right now. All the titles I'm coming up with are either others by John Irving, or ones that I think ARE on must read lists.

Alright, got another. The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint.

message 4: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

Michael | 5 comments I'd have to say -

Hey, Nostrodamus! by Douglas Coupland
The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall
The Great Divorce by CS Lewis
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

random and strange combination of books but all i consider must reads.