Modern Mommies discussion

About Books > What do you love to read...always looking for ideas

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz | 15 comments I was just wondering what you love to read. I only have a few friends on here and am always looking for other things to read. I love most genres but my fave books lately have been young adult. I worry when looking at the groups for some of these books that I will encounter to many "younger" people.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I've been enjoying the classics lately though I can still be drawn in by a really good Zombie story. :)

There is a group of adults on GRs that enjoy YA fiction. I'll try to find the name for you and post it here.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry The group is called Wild things: YA Grown Up

message 4: by Liz (last edited Feb 17, 2010 04:41PM) (new)

Liz | 15 comments

fyi...hundreds and hundreds of classics for the kindle are free :)

message 5: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments I too have gotten into the classics and have again challenged myself to read 7 in 2010 (one down-Gone With the Wind). I am in a reading group through my library that gets me reading things I would NEVER pick up on my own. We just read "Stitches" which is a graphic novel, and an autobiography. I like biographies, historical fiction (The Outlander series by Gabaldon is my favorite), romance (especially for a light read) and suspense. I read some YA. I, along with everyone else, have read the Harry Potter series. I am almost finished with the second Eragon book, which I am reading to my boys. I also read "A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray but not any of the subsequent books. I have yet to read any of the Twilight series but they are on my to read list along with the Sookie Stackhouse books. Maybe I will have a vampire book marathon one of these days.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz | 15 comments That is great. I have never read the Harry Potter series and got into Twilight because my daughter wanted to watch the movie and I had to preview it first. Fell in love with it from the movie and proceded to read all 4 books withing a week. I would never had picked up these but they are so much more than vampire books. I have seen many people that are reading the outlander series and I am curious.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Having survived 2 teen-aged daughters I could not read the Twilight book without seeing Bella and my daughter's eye rolls throughout the book. Definitely did nothing for me with that in mind. I just felt like smacking her throughout the whole damn book!

I love the Outlander series and I'm currently reading her latest. Liz, I see you're reading Pride and Prejudice. I am determined to read that this year. I just finished re-reading The Great Gatsby a couple of days ago. Beautiful little book. Love the Sookie Stackhouse books as well, also I love, love, love Steinbeck and John Irving and Cormac McCarthy and I'm determined to read more from them this year.

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz | 15 comments I am about 7% into pride and Prejudice at this point. It is harder to read because the language is written different then. You really have to think about what you are reading. I am having a bit of a problem getting into it but I will keep going forward. Maybe my vocab will be better at the end of this :) (One more positive for the Kindle...you move the curser to a word and it tells you the definition at the bottom...this is coming in handy for this book)

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I read Emma and Sense and Sensibility last year and loved them both but it did take some time adjusting to how the language flowed. She had a wonderful eye for character though which made the books immensely enjoyable for me.

message 10: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Liz, stick with P&P. I promise it will be worth it. I got about 80 pages in and quit then picked it up and started over a year later. I loved it! Sense and Sensibility was easier because there are fewer characters but P&P is a better story. I hope to read Emma and Persuasion this year. After you finish P&P I highly recommend the A&E/BBC miniseries starring Colin Firth. It was excellent.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz | 15 comments I am trying. It is not a book you can read before bed at this point. to much thinking involved

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 10 comments Anything by John Irving! my favorite is A Prayer for Owen Meany. I can not say enough about this book or this author.

Has anyoen else read john Irving?

Ellen
www.artexperiencesfortots.wordpress.org

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I adore John Irving but haven't read A Prayer for Owen Meany yet. It's waiting in the wings though along with most of his other books. I loved World According to Garp and Cider House Rules and would be very hard pressed to decide which I loved best, though Cider house Rules would probably win by a tweak.

message 14: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments I read "The Fourth Hand" by Irving and I thought it was okay. I liked it enough to want to read something else by him so Cider House Rules is on my to read list.

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry You won't be sorry. I've heard that The forth Hand was not his best. There is something epic, tragic and wondrously tender about tCHR that has stayed with me to this day. When I had finished I closed the book and sat there with a full heart and tears. It was a perfect novel for me. Somehow, it reminded me of Steinbeck's East of Eden. Rich characters moving on a path that is largely determined by their the kind of person they are.

message 16: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments I really enjoyed East of Eden so I guess I better read tCHR ASAP.

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) Right now, paranormal romance. Black Dagger Brotherhood is my fav!

message 18: by L & D (new)

L & D I loved that series. I made the mistake of reading the first 6 in about a week and a half. Burned myself out, but will probably return to it in the fall (by then it will be a year since I picked one up. The first 6 have made the rounds to all the women in my family.

message 19: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Lansing,
I did that with the "In Death" series by J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts). I read a bunch of them and then got burned out.
Angela,
I will have to make a note of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and forward the info to my librarian friend, Heather, as that is a genre she really enjoys.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) I love love love historical fiction set in England in the 1800s.

message 21: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Amanda, have you read Galen Foley? I really enjoyed her whole series of the Knight Family.

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) I also love Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld and Atlantis series.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) No I haven't yet, but someone else also mentioned her. Isn't she more historical romance? And if so, how much romance. I can't take those harlequin romance novels.

message 24: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Amanda, Foley does write historical romance. A little more in depth than Harlequin but they definitely in the romance genre.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I enjoy phases where I read one genre for a month or more, then my mood shifts and I switch. As a result, I do not believe I have a specific favourite type of book, unless "Fiction" is an option. ;) I read non-fiction too, but generally I reach for novels. Right now I am liking Historicals, but before that it was Young Adult.