The Pacific Northwest Contingent discussion

New fiction from a favorite local writer

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany E | 1 comments Hey, guys! You may be familiar with Gina Ochsner's short fiction--both her collections of short stories (The Necessary Grace to Fall; People I Wanted to Be) have won the Oregon Book Award. But have you heard about Gina's first novel, The Russian Dreambook of Color and Flight?

It's a darkly funny story of love and loss, ghosts and getting by, set in the crumbling post-Soviet city of Perm. Gina is not from Russia herself--she was born and raised in Oregon--but she's been fascinated by Eastern European culture for years...even engaged a decade of loving research.

Want to know why? Ask her! Click the link to join our Q+A and question Gina about her inspiration, her characters, her favorite authors...anything! http://bitURL.net/?xhzzh6

See you there,
-b

PS If you're interested in meeting Gina in person, please visit her author page for a full event listing--she has a few local readings scheduled over the next few weeks.

message 2: by Keri (new)

Keri | 5 comments Just bought Raven Stole the Moon by Gareth Stein an author living in Seattle. Has anyone read any of his books? Just looked good. I usually don't just pick up a book I haven't heard about like this.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue (suedomis) | 1 comments Oh Ken, Have I read any of Stein's books??!! I work in a Yakima bookshop called Inklings. Garth Stein is a favorite author of ours. We've had him here for signings for his second book, How Evan Broke His Head & loved him. He's a really fun guy. His 3rd book Art of Racing in the Rain, however has been a best seller for us since it came out. Art of Racing in the Rain is one of my favorite books, read it also, you'll love it.

message 4: by Keri (new)

Keri | 5 comments Thanks, it sounds like the Art of Racing is well received. I think I will read Raven after I finish the latest 1st Ladies Detective.
Keri