The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.7 (Ashley FL's Task - The Gods Must Be Crazy)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 25.7 - Ashley FL's Task - The Gods Must Be Crazy
Read a book involving Greek and/or Roman gods. May be non-fiction or fiction. Half-blood Gods are fine.
Ex. Gods Behaving Badly: A Novel or Oh My Gods!: A Look-it-Up Guide to the Gods of Mythology

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Other ideas:

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (or any in that series)
Bulfinch's Mythology

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I have read books 1-4 of the Percy Jackson (Lightning Thief) series. Highly recommend. It is very entertaining! I think I am going to table the fifth book so I can read it for this task!

message 4: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Dang.... I'm just finishing up Percy Jackson #5!! Grrr...

message 6: by Nicole (last edited Feb 17, 2010 12:52PM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Jamie wrote: "Would American Gods work?"

I don't think so because from my memory there were no greek or roman gods, only from Norse and African myths. They are all Eastern gods.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Darn. lol. I hate when I get all excited about a book that might fit. I'll have to fit it in somewhere else! Thanks for letting me know before I put it in that slot! haha :)

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Jamie wrote: "Darn. lol. I hate when I get all excited about a book that might fit. I'll have to fit it in somewhere else! Thanks for letting me know before I put it in that slot! haha :)"

Jamie~ American Gods would work for the S.P.R.I.N.G task because NG = Neil Gaiman...so it will fit for a task! ^_^

I've had The Lightning Thief on my bookshelf since I first started collecting YA novels for my classroom, so I'm finally going to read it for this task! Yay!

message 9: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments what about Jitterbug Perfume?? Pan is a strong character in that one.

message 10: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments ive heard about the percy jackson books being good. would love to read those. hopefully i'll be able to get to it for these tasks

message 11: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Kiki, I haven't read "Jitterbug Perfume" and the descriptions I found have not been helpful! I would say that if it is actually Pan and the fact that it is the god Pan is part of the story, then sure! I can see that Tom Robbins could get into Pan ;)

If it is the sort of typical Tom Robbins wacky character who happens to be named (and very loosely based on) Pan, then probably not.

But I'm pretty loose on what fits and what doesn't. Ultimately this challenge is for fun, so if someone wants to claim credit for something, they probably know whether or not it fits the intent of the task.

I'm just on a Greek/Roman god kick right now and thought it would be fun. And, of course, a good way to get book ideas out of you all ;)

message 12: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments ashley, it it most definitely about the god Pan...not that he's the main character, but he's quite prominent. it's a great read! :)

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments How about Achilles: A Novel?

message 14: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Cynthia wrote: "How about Achilles: A Novel?" As far as I can tell, Achilles is generally accepted to have been the human son of a human and a nymph, not a god. Am I wrong? If he was human, it won't work.

message 15: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments Any other ideas for this one?

message 16: by Donna Jo (last edited Feb 20, 2010 09:55PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments If you don't mind reading YA, Lloyd Alexander wrote The Arkadians which is a rather interesting how the Greek gods got started thing. It helps to know a little mythology, but it's easy to read.
Household Gods by Judith Tarr is a little time travel with the Roman gods type thing. (Not YA)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Could I read a book about the Greek Gods in general? Learning more about them.

message 18: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Household Gods by Judith Tarr is a little time travel with the Roman gods type thing. (Not YA)" I read this years ago and may have forgotten, but I don't think there are any actual gods involved?? For this challenge it isn't about the title, but about the content. Though I do highly recommend it (one of those books that I still think about!) and it would work for the time-travel challenge!

2273635 Could I read a book about the Greek Gods in general? Learning more about them. Absolutely!

message 19: by Jennifer N. (last edited Feb 23, 2010 02:13PM) (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Ashley - Would you take Golden Ass? In it is the first time that the legend of Cupid and Psyche appear in writing.

message 20: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments WOW, Jennifer. That looks intense!

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela | 513 comments Would this work? Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman

message 22: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Ashley - you wanted gods or greek creatures? Cause I know some books that take after nymphs, gorgen, chimera.

message 23: by Asho (new)

Asho | 189 comments How about a play that is more than 100 pages long? I know sometimes plays are accepted for tasks and sometimes they aren't.

Specifically, I'm thinking about Metamorphoses: A Play by Mary Zimmerman, but if you were to allow plays for this task it would open up all sorts of other options from Sophocles, Euripides, etc.

message 25: by Ashley FL (last edited Feb 24, 2010 08:03AM) (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Asho wrote: "How about a play that is more than 100 pages long? I know sometimes plays are accepted for tasks and sometimes they aren't.

Specifically, I'm thinking about Metamorphoses: A Play by..."
Plays would be fine -- there are some great ones!

Tanja wrote: "Ashley - you wanted gods or greek creatures? Cause I know some books that take after nymphs, gorgen, chimera." I'm specifically looking for gods, not just magical/mythical creatures. Sorry!

Angela wrote: "Would this work? Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman" Yes!

Jennifer wrote: "Ashley - Would you take Golden Ass? In it is the first time that the legend of Cupid and Psyche appear in writing." Sure -- that looks really intense!

eta: I seem to really like exclamation points!!

message 26: by BZMoney (new)

BZMoney | 160 comments Would Truly, Madly work for this task? In the book the Valentine family has a gift for matchmaking bestowed on them by Cupid, the God of Love.

message 27: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Birish wrote: "Would Truly, Madly work for this task? In the book the Valentine family has a gift for matchmaking bestowed on them by Cupid, the God of Love." I've even read this book, and had to look it up. To the best of my recollection, Cupid isn't a main character in the book, but is, essentially, the basis for it. So I'll allow it (besides, I thought this book was adorable!).

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Ashley wrote: "Birish wrote: "Would Truly, Madly work for this task? In the book the Valentine family has a gift for matchmaking bestowed on them by Cupid, the God of Love." I've even read this boo..."
This is good to know - I "won" a copy from Librarything so if I get it by the end of this I'll be able to use it!

message 29: by Julia (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 119 comments If anyone is in to romance novels Sherrilyn Kenyon writes her Dark-Hunter series with the greek gods as main character. Fantasy Lover is sort of the first in the series but can be read on its own as a cute, romance read. Cupid and Psyche actually show up in modern day incarnations, and the main character is the son of Aphrodite.

message 30: by BZMoney (new)

BZMoney | 160 comments Cynthia wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Birish wrote: "Would Truly, Madly work for this task? In the book the Valentine family has a gift for matchmaking bestowed on them by Cupid, the God of Love." I've eve..."

Cynthia, I won my copy, too! Just finished it... very cute, will definately read the rest of the series as they are released!

message 31: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Oh wait! I nearly forgot her book does work!!

Midnight Medusa by Stephanie Draven is a paranormal romance which involves Medusa -and- a son of Ares. If you like that one, then check out her other book Wild, Tethered, Bound which involves a nymph and chimera. SHAME this task isn't for this fall! Her first book (not e-book) is out this Oct which features a nymph daughter of Ares thwarting dear ol Daddy!

message 32: by scherzo♫ (last edited Mar 23, 2010 08:55AM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Science fiction (earth, mars, jupiter) and the gods by Dan Simmons:
Ilium
Olympos

Classic texts by Edith Hamilton
Mythology
The Greek Way

message 33: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments I wanted to read Dogs and Goddesses. I have found in some of the reviews that there is a Mesopatamian goddess trying to take over a college in Ohio. I can not find a name of the goddess so I don't know if it would fit or not. Thanks!!

message 34: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Oops just reread the task must be Roman or Greek Gods. Sorry.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.