The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.8 ("A beautiful thing never gives so much pain as does failing to hear and see it.")

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 17, 2010 11:05AM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 15.8 - "A beautiful thing never gives so much pain as does failing to hear and see it."
In honor of Michelangelo, famous Italian artist (March 6, 1475 - February 18, 1564)...Read a Fictional or Non-Fictional book about or featuring your favorite artist
Ex.Sunflowers OR Mary Cassatt
When you post this task please tell us why the artist is your favorite and which of their works you enjoy the most.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Any suggestions for Monet?

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments What if you don't like art? I mean, like seriously don't like art at all... Because I don't like art. I can't even really name any artists because I don't have an appreciation for it.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would Nancy Crow count as an artist? Nancy Crow

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Ashley wrote: "Any suggestions for Monet?"
Claude & Camille: A Novel of Monet
In the Kingdom of Mists
The Magic of Monet's Garden: His Planting Plans and Color Harmonies

Kathryn wrote: "What if you don't like art? I mean, like seriously don't like art at all... Because I don't like art. I can't even really name any artists because I don't have an appreciation for it."
The only thing I could suggest is looking at the art books in the library/bookstore and see if something sticks out - also it doesn't have to be a painting it could be sculpture, architecture, photography etc.

message 6: by Nicole (last edited Feb 17, 2010 05:20PM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments oooh! Loving Frank would work then if you enjoyed the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright.

I don't know what it is about the Spring Challenge, but I am having more trouble choosing between several choices that fit a task than I am finding books!

I may go with Sunflowers though. It sounds so INTRIGUING!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would Nancy Crow count as an artist?

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sarah wrote: "Would Nancy Crow count as an artist? "
Yes

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (last edited Feb 17, 2010 07:39PM) (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Kathryn wrote: "What if you don't like art? I mean, like seriously don't like art at all... Because I don't like art. I can't even really name any artists because I don't have an appreciation for it."

Andy Warhol is a fun person to read about. I'm reading The Philosophy of Andy Warhol :..even if you don't like art he is a pretty eccentric character lol.

Hope you can find something! :)

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Jamie wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "What if you don't like art? I mean, like seriously don't like art at all... Because I don't like art. I can't even really name any artists because I don't have an appreciation for i..."

Modern art is my least favorite of the art forms. lol, I never really saw the point of art. My sister is the only artist I enjoy (and I am pretty sure she doesn't have a book written about her). I decided to read Girl with a Pearl Earring because I don't dislike his work more than anyone else... His work is right up there with most of the artists on what I think is nice so he will have to do.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I'm excited about this task. My library has a number of books on Magritte.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Kathryn wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "What if you don't like art? I mean, like seriously don't like art at all... Because I don't like art. I can't even really name any artists because I don't have an appr..."

Haha. That's funny! Well I'm glad you found something!

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Jamie wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "What if you don't like art? I mean, like seriously don't like art at all... Because I don't like art. I can't even really name any artists because I do..."

I know. lol, I know I sound incredibly sinicle (sp?). I can appreciate beauty, but I just don't have a favorite. And there is nothing I want to decorate my house with. I prefer to decorate with family made memorabilia and stuff like that. I like pictures my sisters have painted or cross stitches completed or that type of thing. The memories. I guess most of the time I feel art is someone elses memories and I'm not really interested. There was this one portrait I saw once. It is the only art that has ever elicited a response from me. I stared at it for like two hours before my family dragged me away. However, I don't remember what it was called. It was just a generic portrait commissioned of a regular portrait painter in the 1600s. It was a wedding picture... but the bride and groom were like 8 and 10 or younger. It facinated me, the little gold ring on her tiny hand.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Anything for Thomas Kinkade?

message 15: by Kate (last edited Feb 17, 2010 08:01PM) (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Jayme wrote: "Anything for Thomas Kinkade?"

Oh, he is pretty good. My parent bought one of his originals. Something about an investment for retirement.

message 16: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments what about dali?. love his paintings!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments He paints like cabins with woods in them

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Jayme wrote: "He paints like cabins with woods in them"

I meant that they bought it as an investment for there retirement. I like ones with reflections in the water.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie Tracey wrote: "what about dali?. love his paintings!"

Tracey, check this one out:
The Secret Life of Salvador Dali by Dali, himself
I haven't read it, but I bet it's pretty trippy.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Jayme wrote: "Anything for Thomas Kinkade?"
For him I would accept any of the books he's co-authored.
Thomas Kinkade

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Nicole wrote: "oooh! Loving Frank would work then if you enjoyed the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright.

I don't know what it is about the Spring Challenge, but I am having more trouble choosing be..."

Thanks for the suggestion, Nicole! I love Frank Lloyd Wright! My library only has one copy of this and it's heavy on reserves. I'm putting a hold on it now so hopefully I'll be able to get it before the end of the spring challenge. LOL

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments If you like Raphael you could read The Ruby Ring: A Novel.

message 23: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Can we read anything for this if your not into Art, ie if your not interested in Art, can you just choose any artist book?

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments It might be worth looking through this list:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/20...

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Any Chagall fans out there? I'd highly recommend The World to Come: A Novel by Dara Horn. It has one of the most bizarre and beautiful endings I've read. Realize, though, that it's as much about Yiddish lit as about art.

message 26: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks Jamie, think I will do Sepulchre

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Cynthia wrote: "Jayme wrote: "Anything for Thomas Kinkade?"
For him I would accept any of the books he's co-authored.
Thomas Kinkade"

I found a fictional book with the title of a cabin in it. I will look through the coauthored though too,

message 28: by Melissa (last edited Feb 18, 2010 01:45PM) (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Iain Pears has written a mystery series called the Art History mysteries. I have a copy of The Raphael Affair, and others in the series feature Giotto, Titian, and Bernini.

Not sure this will work if the books are about the art, not the artist, but it might be worth looking at.

message 30: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Oooh, I love Klimt too... and that novel looks good. Thanks Rachel Erin!

message 31: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 18, 2010 10:02PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments For some reason, this is really personal to me... Like I'm afraid people are going to make fun of me for liking something weird... BUT, I love Kandinsky. I cannot get over Composition VIII. I think it's beautiful. I'm an engineer—blame it on that... It's just so geometric but random... and all the pretty colors... And I don't know why I'm apologizing, as obviously art is personal preference, but....

Anyway, I was thinking of reading Wassily Kandinsky, 1866-1944: The Journey to Abstraction, though I'll have to ILL it, as my local library doesn't carry anything on him.

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie Sara ♥ wrote: "For some reason, this is really personal to me... Like I'm afraid people are going to make fun of me for liking something weird... BUT, I love Kandinsky. I cannot get over Composition VIII. I th..."

Um, Sara, Kandinsky is awesome. Hope the book is good.

message 33: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Kandinsky is one of my favorite artists. I tend to like the more fluid compositions. This poster is on my kitchen wall, right across from the apartment door.

I hope everyone that completes this task also posts a link to a painting/sculpture/work of art!

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Liz wrote: "Kandinsky is one of my favorite artists. I tend to like the more fluid compositions. This poster is on my kitchen wall, right across from the apartment door.

I hope everyone that completes thi..."

Wow, there is so much going on there, I don't know where to look! lol, it is cool though.

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie Liz wrote: "I hope everyone that completes this task also posts a link to a painting/sculpture/work of art!"

That's a great idea!

message 36: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 682 comments Nicole wrote: "oooh! Loving Frank would work then if you enjoyed the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright.

I don't know what it is about the Spring Challenge, but I am having more trouble choosing be..."

Another option for Frank Lloyd Wright is The Women by T.C. Boyle.

message 37: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Don't you think that the Dan Brown books - Angels & Demons and the DaVinci Code would fit too? For people who would be more interested in a general fiction book than something so 'arty'

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17481 comments Mod
Williamsburg Regional Library has this readers advisory page artists in fiction
Some overlap with Rachel Erin's list above- but some new choices

message 40: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Hm. What if you don't have any one favorite artist?

I suppose I could base this task on a local artist who paints fairies and read a fairy tale. Dunno :P

message 41: by Felina (new)

Felina I'm in the 'don't particulary care for art' group. Can we read a book where the main character is an artist and the book describes their work? Like Duma Key?

message 42: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Georgia O' Keefe: A Life by Roxana Robinson is good if you like Georgia O'Keefe.

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathryn wrote: "What if you don't like art? I mean, like seriously don't like art at all... Because I don't like art. I can't even really name any artists because I don't have an appreciation for it."

Check with Cynthia on this- but maybe expand your definition of "artist" (my daughter is a cartoonist/graphic artist)
maybe Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography
Chuck Amuck: The Life and Times of an Animated Cartoonist
Charles Addams: A Cartoonist's Life

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

I know there are lots of YA fans here- there is a series Art Encounters with some interesting titles
There are a few more
Leonardo's Shadow: Or, My Astonishing Life as Leonardo da Vinci's Servant
The Janus Gate: An Encounter with John Singer Sargent

message 45: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 23 comments Does anyone have any suggestions for M.C. Escher?

message 46: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 21, 2010 10:59AM) (new)

Rachael wrote: "Does anyone have any suggestions for M.C. Escher?"

how about
The Escher Twist: A Homer Kelly Mystery per Cynthia's clarification post 48
The Magic of M. C. Escher

message 47: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments My daughter reminded me that we had bought a book for her 4th grade classroom (so probably pretty accessible!) called Who Was Claude Monet? by Ann Waldron. She just read it and loved it. Might be a good option if you aren't really that into art (so only want to devote 112 pages to this task!) but like Monet. I'm going to try and borrow it from her teacher (he had specifically asked for this one and his is an opinion I really trust!) and I'll report back ;)

message 48: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "What if you don't like art? I mean, like seriously don't like art at all... Because I don't like art. I can't even really name any artists because I don't have an appreciation for i..."
Cartooning is fine.

Felina wrote: "I'm in the 'don't particulary care for art' group. Can we read a book where the main character is an artist and the book describes their work? Like Duma Key?"
The artist has to be a real artist not a fictional one.

Tanja wrote: "Hm. What if you don't have any one favorite artist?

I suppose I could base this task on a local artist who paints fairies and read a fairy tale. Dunno :P"

That would not work.

Julie wrote: "Would The Da Vinci Code, Rebecca, or Frenchman's Creek work?"
None of these fit from what I can tell.

Bridgit wrote: "Don't you think that the Dan Brown books - Angels & Demons and the DaVinci Code would fit too? For people who would be more interested in a general fiction book than something so 'arty'"

I guess I wasn't clear - if it's fiction the artist actually needs to be a character in the book (or in cases like Thomas Kincaid - been written by the artist)...for non-fiction it can be about the artist or his/her work.

message 50: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sarah wrote: "So for Thomas Kinkade could I read The Garden of Friendship: Celebrating the Blessings of Loved Ones?"

Yes

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.