The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.6 (Friends and Friends of Friends)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 15.6 - Friends and Friends of Friends
A.For the first part of this task read a book that is popular among the lists of your Goodreads friends that you have never read...to see a list of these books click on this link Popular Books
AND
B.For the second part of this task click on this link (Friends Of Friends) and select the first person on this list and read a 5 star book from their list.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments OK, sigh. . . the first on my list of "Friends of Friends" is "Harlequin Historical" (no comments, lol). There are reviews on many, many books. But only one is rated, and it isn't available around here (I guess maybe I could buy it used somewhere, but tracking down a specific, old Harlequin seems like a daunting task! And I'm trying to be thrifty.)

Can I read one that got a great review, even though it didn't get rated?

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Ashley wrote: "OK, sigh. . . the first on my list of "Friends of Friends" is "Harlequin Historical" (no comments, lol). There are reviews on many, many books. But only one is rated, and it isn't available aroun..." You can go to the second person on the friends of friends page.

message 4: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments I was afraid you'd say that. It's someone I have not added as a friend for a reason ;)

But I guess that's the point, right?

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela | 441 comments Ashley I don't think you have to friend them, just read one of their 5 star books.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I got stuck with some guy who has books like "A guide to Dungeons and Dragons". Thank god he also had Mythology. I would like to refresh my memory on all of the juicy details of mythology. Love it!

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments lol, I was so excited when I saw that my guy had like 900 books, but then a lot of them were like star trek and star wars and that sort of thing (which I have never even seen). Luckily I found the first book of Outlanders on his five star ratings and I have been wanting to read that so I am pretty excited. He also had some fantasy books that I know my sister has read and enjoyed so if I need a shorter read to fall back on, I know he what to pick!

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Kathryn wrote: "lol, I was so excited when I saw that my guy had like 900 books, but then a lot of them were like star trek and star wars and that sort of thing (which I have never even seen). Luckily I found the ..."

We got the same guy! And for me it's because I added Jennifer Weiner as a friend and apparently he is her friend too!

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Lol!

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments That is really ironic.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments When I first began scanning his 970 book "read" list, I about had a heart attack. He had about zero books I would ever read. I read Outlander and was not in love with it, but I own the second book. I was thinking of reading that...but then he only had Outlander and Voyager. I was wondering who I pissed off to get this kind of bad karma. But then I found some mythology choices and felt better!

LOL

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments My sister read the wheel of time series and enjoyed the first ones so that was/is my fallback book.

message 13: by Cait (last edited Feb 17, 2010 11:01PM) (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments You lucky duck!

ETA: I found a place to stick Our Mutual Friend. Woohoo!

message 14: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2079 comments I am going to have to find some friends as currently I don't have any friends of friends.

message 15: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Thanks for accepting my friend request, Coralie. :o)

message 16: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2079 comments I now have plenty of friends of friends thanks to Cait and Rachel.

message 17: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Angela wrote: "Ashley I don't think you have to friend them, just read one of their 5 star books. " Ha-- I know. It's just someone with a strange (to me) taste in books. I think she rates things because she thinks she *ought* to have read and enjoyed them, if that makes sense. She was only on Goodreads for a brief period a couple of years ago, when a bunch in our group joined.

It's ok, I found one I can read.

If only I could have tracked down that Harlequin -- those are right up my alley ;)

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17601 comments Mod
Boy, does this sound pathetic- but I have no friends. Can someone help me with the protocol? This task makes me feel like the first day at a new school. Should I listen to my mother and walk up to someone on the playground and ask them to be my friend? I often had my nose in a book- even on the playground. I feel like a social networking dinosaur...

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Boy, does this sound pathetic- but I have no friends. Can someone help me with the protocol? This task makes me feel like the first day at a new school. Should I listen to my mother and walk up to ..."

You can add me! Just put a message that you are from this challenge so i don't say no thinking you are a "random person" lol

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Boy, does this sound pathetic- but I have no friends. Can someone help me with the protocol? This task makes me feel like the first day at a new school. Should I listen to my mother and walk up to ..."

awwww, you can be my friend too! I just sent you a friend request, all you have to do is confirm it. :)

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17601 comments Mod
Thanks Nicole and Melissa!

message 22: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 12 comments You can add mine everyone incase u want to lol x

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Thanks Nicole and Melissa!"

No problem! Added you and I am willing to add any of you ladies from the challenge. This is a FUN group! Just add seasonal reading challenge to the request so i know who you are!

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments It's a good thing I'm big on healthy eating and exercise. The only 5-star books on this person's shelf are The Eat-Clean Diet: Fast Fat-Loss that lasts Forever! and The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've been wanting to read the second title anyway so that one it is! LOL

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I got lucky and got this girl living in Italy who has a decent selection of 5 star books!

message 26: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments DLM, I added you also. I added you before reading the rest of the thread, so can't remember if I referenced the challenge or not, but I am Ashley everywhere, so you'll know it's me!

message 27: by Tanya (new)

Tanya D (mtlbookworm) | 161 comments Same here! One can never have too many friends! DLM I'm adding you- and I'm also up for adding other people from this challenge group if anyone else is interested!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Me too. If anyone needs a friend just add me! :)

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments so nice to be among friends! Y'all can count me as a friend too if you need to or want to.

message 30: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 84 comments Same here! Anyone in this group is a friend!

message 31: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Out of curiosity, as you go around friending each other, does the first person on the friends of friends page change? Perhaps it is a sneaky clever way to find an enjoyable 5 star book for part b. >grin<

message 32: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments Coralie wrote: "I am going to have to find some friends as currently I don't have any friends of friends."

I dont have any either.

message 33: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Boy, does this sound pathetic- but I have no friends. Can someone help me with the protocol? This task makes me feel like the first day at a new school. Should I listen to my mother and walk up to ..."

you can add me too as I only have 1 and they dont' have many books, if any and no friends either

message 34: by Petra (new)

Petra Anyone who likes can add me as a friend. I consider everyone from here a friend of mine.

message 35: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments YAY FOR FRIENDS :-D

message 36: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments Cynthia wrote: "15.6 - Friends and Friends of Friends
A.For the first part of this task read a book that is popular among the lists of your Goodreads friends that you have never read...to see a list of these book..."

WHen it means popular among friends, does that mean they ahve to have rated it or have to have read a book on the list?

message 37: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Tracey, when you click on the link provided by Cynthia, it takes you to a list of books (maybe about 50? I didn't count them). I suppose it depends on your friends, but in my case all the books listed have been read by my friends, for example:

To Kill a Mockingbird
by Harper Lee
avg rating 4.25 — 324,887 ratings
14 friends have read it, 13 friends rated it, average rating 4.5

But, I take the question to mean you can read ANY book that shows up on the list that YOU have not read previously.

message 38: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Liz wrote: "Tracey, when you click on the link provided by Cynthia, it takes you to a list of books (maybe about 50? I didn't count them). I suppose it depends on your friends, but in my case all the books l..."

Liz is correct.

message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie Liz wrote: "Tracey, when you click on the link provided by Cynthia, it takes you to a list of books (maybe about 50? I didn't count them). I suppose it depends on your friends, but in my case all the books l..."

I understood it the same way, Liz. Your friends don't have to have read the book for it to be on the list, though. Some of the books on my list were marked as "To Read" by my friends.

In response to your clever suggestion, I think it would work. My friends of friends list is ranked by the number of my friends they are friends with. I think the person at the top of my list is friends with three of my friends, then two, etc. Soooo, you could get a group of challengers together, and have everybody friend each other so that you would all be at the top of each others lists. You'd just have to make sure that the group is two larger than the number of friends of yours the person at the top of your list shares. In my case, I'd have to work with five other people. I probably way overcomplicated that.

message 40: by Sandie (new)

Sandie (chocdrop) | 214 comments Feel free to add me as a friend - the more the merrier!

message 41: by Diane (last edited Feb 18, 2010 10:04PM) (new)

Diane | 742 comments Okay, first two friends of friends have profiles set to private, next two have no five star books (and one only has 11 books total). I hope it's okay that I moved on to number 5 on the list (even though she has only around 40 books and the five stars are like romance novels and mass-market thrillers). :(

On the bright side, this will broaden my reading horizons ;)

message 42: by Kate (last edited Feb 18, 2010 10:46PM) (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Diane wrote: "Okay, first two friends of friends have profiles set to private, next two have no five star books (and one only has 11 books total). I hope it's okay that I moved on to number 5 on the list (even ..."

That sucks, Diane. Try adding a few more friends and see if the list changes...*

*covert suggestion because I am not sure if Cynthia is okay with that.
**I actually clicked the friends of friends link again, because I am making a spreadsheet of links, and the first person was the same guy. I had added friends since, so I don't think it actually works, unless you add them as your friend.

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Liz wrote: "Out of curiosity, as you go around friending each other, does the first person on the friends of friends page change? Perhaps it is a sneaky clever way to find an enjoyable 5 star book for part b...."

It def is, Liz! But I was a good girl and stuck to the first time I clicked the link. too bad I did not wait one more day to plan that task! It's okay though. I am sort of excited about having 3 books related to Greece/Greek myth on my list!

message 44: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandra72) | 726 comments You can all add me as a friend!

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Everyone is welcome to add me as a friend, too!

I love the camaraderie of everyone participating in the challenge and the willingness of so many to be friends. :) I may add several of you just because I love seeing what everyone is reading/has read.

message 46: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments And me too! I'm happy to have other people to steal book ideas from on my friends list ;)

message 47: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Diane wrote: "Okay, first two friends of friends have profiles set to private, next two have no five star books (and one only has 11 books total). I hope it's okay that I moved on to number 5 on the list (even ..."
Yes that's fine

message 48: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Anyone who want to add me as a friend I will also accept. I have added a bunch of you ladies so hopefully I will get a longer list of books. The first guy on my friends of friends had about 900 books listed and has rated none of them.

message 49: by Petra (new)

Petra Nicole wrote: "Liz wrote: "Out of curiosity, as you go around friending each other, does the first person on the friends of friends page change? Perhaps it is a sneaky clever way to find an enjoyable 5 star book.

It def is, Liz! But I was a good girl and stuck to the first time I clicked the link. too bad I did not wait one more day to plan that task! It's okay though. I am sort of excited about having 3 books related to Greece/Greek myth on my list!"

Cynthia, could you clarify on when we determine the Friend of Friends?
For example, the first person on my Friend of Friends list has changed due to accepting new friends. This first person had quite a few 5* books that were on my TBR list. Now that this person has changed, do I use the "new" first friend or can I use the "old" first friend?
Or is the First Friend the person on the top of the list when I begin this task?

message 50: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments My friend of a friend has all chick lit rated as 5 star... though maybe "schooled" is not quite to chick lit as the others? Hopefully.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.