The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.4 ("These gems have life in them: their colors speak, Say what words fail of.")

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 15.4 - "These gems have life in them: their colors speak, Say what words fail of."
The birthstones for Spring are: March (Aquamarine, Bloodstone which mean Courage), April (Diamond, White Sapphire which mean Innocence), and May (Emerald which means Love or Success). For this task: Read a book with one of the birthstones in the title AND another book with it's corresponding meaning.
Ex.
Aquamarine or The Bloodstone Chronicles & The Red Badge of Courage

The Diamond Throne or Cat in a Sapphire Slipper (I'll accept just sapphire instead of white sapphire) & The Age of Innocence

The Deception of the Emerald Ring & Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia or The Success Principles(TM): How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments For the second part, does the meaning have to be in the title or just a book pertaining to it?
And more suggestions please!

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Erin wrote: "For the second part, does the meaning have to be in the title or just a book pertaining to it?
And more suggestions please!"

Meaning should be a word in the title...if you type in the words in the search it should give more options.

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I will be reading The Bloodstone Papers by Glen Duncan and either The Courage Consort by Michael Faber or Courage Tree by Diane Chamberlaine.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Would innocent work or must it be innocence?

Thanks!

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Nicole wrote: "Would innocent work or must it be innocence?

Thanks!"

I'll take innocent.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments More suggestions please! I have 1326 books in my tbr pile and NONE of them fit part A!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments The Diamond Secret: A Retelling of "Anastasia", which is a retelling of Anastasia. I don't have it but it looks pretty interesting.

message 10: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 12 comments Can we read The Innocent Man (for part B in April as mine is then)?

message 11: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubina310) Are variations on the words love, success, courage, and Innocence good to use? (e.g. Lover? Innocent? Courageous?)

message 12: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Can we read The Innocent Man (for part B in April as mine is then)?

"

Cynthia ok'd "innocent" in message 7. :o)

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Yes any variations on the meaning words are fine.

message 14: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubina310) Thanks, Cynthia. Let me take this moment just to thank you for all the hard work you put into this goodreads group and to let you know how much I enjoy our reading challenges. I never get anywhere near to finishing the challenges, but I am pleased to be out of my reading rut! :-)

message 15: by Cait (last edited Feb 18, 2010 03:52PM) (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I've heard good things about all of the following authors:

The Eustace Diamonds - Anthony Trollope
Emerald City: Stories - Jennifer Egan
A Study in Emerald - Neil Gaiman Sorry, this is a short story
Aquamarine -Alice Hoffman
The Bloodstone Papers - Glen Duncan

message 16: by Liz M (new)

Liz M I highly recommend The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson

message 17: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Diamond Star by Catherine Asaro would work well if you like SF. This is one of her least complicated ones, as far as family relationships go.

message 18: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments when you say variations on the words would brave and bravery count for courage or does it need to be a derirative of the word eg. courageous?

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Another book is Emerald Windows.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Alice wrote: "when you say variations on the words would brave and bravery count for courage or does it need to be a derirative of the word eg. courageous?"

It needs to be a version of the word not a synonym.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments For the young adult readers -- The Diamond Secret: A Retelling of "Anastasia" by Suzanne Weyn

This sounds interesting -- Diamonds, Gold, and War: The Making of South Africa by Martin Meredith

And I solely listed this one b/c I'm curious as to how a diamond would moan -- Crypt of the Moaning Diamond by Rosemary Jones

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie Donna Jo wrote: "I think the moaning diamond had been skiing The Ski Mask Way."

*snort*

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandra72) | 726 comments Would this work for Part A?

Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye

message 25: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments *cackles snortles at Donna Jo!!!* Sara <3 better get on here to read about that moaning diamond for us! ;)

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Nice one Sandra!

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments The Emerald City of Oz by L. Frank Baum for you classic readers.

And for another use of the same name - Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone

And for you GAMERS - Pokemon Emerald

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I am guessing the gems need to be in the title of the book, it can't be the authors last name?

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sarah wrote: "I am guessing the gems need to be in the title of the book, it can't be the authors last name?"

Yes the title.

message 30: by Sara ♥ (last edited Mar 10, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Donna Jo wrote: "I think the moaning diamond had been skiing The Ski Mask Way"

Tanja wrote: "*cackles snortles at Donna Jo!!!* Sara <3 better get on here to read about that moaning diamond for us! ;)"

Oh boy... I'm REALLY scared now!

message 31: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments It's the book that keeps on giving, Sara <3. Did you know he wrote an entire series?

message 32: by Sara ♥ (last edited Mar 10, 2010 02:03PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Yes, and The Ski Mask Way is being made into a movie, apparently. G-Unit (50 Cent's posse) has WAAAAAAAAY too much money, in my opinion. I think he should share the wealth with the biggest proponent of his books. And I DO mean me. I even blogged about it! (http://saranicole.wordpress.com/2009/...)

message 33: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments *madly cackles* So brilliant!

message 34: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I almost hate to say this, but as much fun as we've had with The Ski Mask Way, we probably owe 50 Cent some kind of royalties. (and is it Mr Cent? or Mr 50? or Hey you? Yo?)

message 35: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments We'll charge for advertising his book. Between those charges and the royalties, we'll break even!

message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I'm inclined to call him $0.50.

message 37: by Wallace (new)

Wallace I'm so confused about this task... how does The Red Badge of Courage relate to The Blood Stone Chronicles?

message 38: by Wallace (new)

Wallace Ah, never mind... I just re-read the task for the umpteenth time slowly. Lo and behold, I figured it out.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.