The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.10 ("Fashions fade - style is eternal.")

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 10.10 - "Fashions fade - style is eternal."
Many of the world's most famous fashion designer's have spring birthdays including...Jean-Paul Gaultier, Christian Lacroix, Valentino, Guccio Gucci, Donatella Versace, Alexander McQueen, Vivienne Westwood, Oleg Cassini, Liz Claiborne, Perry Ellis, Tommy Hilfiger, Marc Jacobs, and Bob Mackie...In honor of them read a book (fiction or non-fiction) that has a type of clothing or accessory in the title (shirt, pants, shoes etc.)
Ex. Al Capone Does My Shirts or The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment That Transformed Their Lives

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments I need some suggestions please!

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Cait wrote: "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
The Red Scarf
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales
[book:Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dres..."

Cait...you are the suggestions queen! I want to give you a prize!

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Could a certain brand mentioned work? Or does it have to be more general then that? For example: The Devil Wears Prada or Prada and Prejudice.

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Nicole, you are too funny. :o)

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Kathryn wrote: "Could a certain brand mentioned work? Or does it have to be more general then that? For example: The Devil Wears Prada or Prada and Prejudice."

For this task it needs to be an article of clothing.

message 8: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments Girl with a Pearl Earring will probably work

message 9: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 740 comments Will "Kilt" or "Veil" work as an article of clothing??

message 10: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments A kilt is definitely an item of clothing so i'm sure that would work. I'm pretty sure veil is also clothing.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Valorie wrote: "Will "Kilt" or "Veil" work as an article of clothing??"

Yes

message 12: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Kathryn wrote: "Could a certain brand mentioned work? Or does it have to be more general then that? For example: The Devil Wears Prada or Prada and Prejudice."

Do you have The Lollipop Shoes? If so, that will work x

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Could a certain brand mentioned work? Or does it have to be more general then that? For example: The Devil Wears Prada or Prada and Prejudice."

Do you ..."

Thanks! I think I am going to use In Her Shoes!

message 14: by Krista (last edited Feb 20, 2010 08:46PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) There are quite a few 'bra' books. I've actually read one of these. Some of the essays made me laugh out loud.Sand in My Bra and Other Misadventures: Funny Women Write from the Road

Other 'bra' books that I have no opinion on. (I just thought it was a fun search:
Bras and Broomsticks
Mates, Dates, and Inflatable Bras
More Sand in My Bra: Funny Women Write from the Road, Again!
It's Not About the Bra: Play Hard, Play Fair, and Put the Fun Back Into Competitive Sports

And who knew that Piers Anthony wrote about panties? Check it out for all you fantasy fans....
The Color of Her Panties

message 15: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 263 comments Also, Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home will work - a few of my friends have read and loved this one, and I've been wanting to read it for a while! :)

message 17: by Usako (last edited Feb 24, 2010 11:56AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Death by Panty Hose's lead is Jaine Austen! :P

Death by Bikini

message 18: by Angela (new)

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 654 comments I saw a woman reading I Wish I Had a Red Dress on the subway and the first thing I thought was "oooh, it works for the Spring Challenge". Sad! Ha!

message 21: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I just read The Painted Veil for this task and it was really good.

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments I've just found this book on the shelf Rubber Gloves or Jimmy Choos- can I use it by taking the word 'gloves' in isolation, or am I stretching the point?

message 23: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Kim, I imagine they're acceptable since gloves are a fashion accessory. If scar is accepted, certainly gloves would. Plus Jimmy Choos IMHO is saying shoes. High END shoes :P

message 24: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Does "tattoo" count as an accessory?

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments SuzieR wrote: "Does "tattoo" count as an accessory?"
Sorry no I was thinking more jewlery/purses/scarves that kind of thing.

message 26: by Mrs.soule (last edited Mar 05, 2010 07:28AM) (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Would the word "uniform" work? The title makes it clear that it refers to clothing uniform rather than uniformity.

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Mrs.soule wrote: "Would the word "uniform" work? The title makes it clear that it refers to clothing uniform rather than uniformity."
I'll accept that.

message 30: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I read The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales a long while back, and thought it was utterly fascinating. I'll either reread that (as it's been about 10 years), or a book from the Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites series.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.