The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.9 ("A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words.")

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 10.9 - "A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words."
In honor of the Kentucky Derby (May 1st)...Read a book with the word Horse or Horses in the title OR a book that features Horses in the storyline. (I hope you will find that the words in the book you choose for this task enhance rather than ruin the experience.)
Ex. All the Pretty Horses OR Belong to Me:: Stories

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Does anyone have any suggestions for this task? I generally don't like animal books... or books where animals feature heavily. However, if you think it is amazing, let me know!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I'm having a hard time with this one too!

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I think I'm going to read The Red Pony by Steinbeck

message 5: by Cait (last edited Feb 17, 2010 08:33PM) (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments If you like mysteries, Agatha Christie has a book called The Pale Horse - it sounds pretty good.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments I was thinking of The Horse and His Boy. That is the third book in the Chronicle of Narnia series. I haven't read the first two, but I have watched the movie. Someone who has read the series, would I be alright reading this without having read the first two?

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Also, Riding Lessons: A Novel is written by the same author who did Water for Elephants.

message 8: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments i've read the first 2 but not the horse and his boy, and the series i have, i think it's like number 5, not 3, so i have a few more to read before i can read that one, but that's a good suggestion Kathryn!

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments The Horse Whisperer was good and is about more than horses. I am going with Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel because I loved The Glass Castle

message 10: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments horse whisperer was good, read it years ago. was a bit different then the movie, but not much

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I'm going to be reading On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony. My boyfriend has been begging me to read it.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Tracey wrote: "i've read the first 2 but not the horse and his boy, and the series i have, i think it's like number 5, not 3, so i have a few more to read before i can read that one, but that's a good suggestion ..."

According to goodreads and amazon, it is #3... I could be wrong, but that is what they said.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments I already read The Horse and His Boy. Othewrwise I use it.

message 14: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments it probably is number 3 now, the order has been changed over the years.
I have the 1970 version. Not sure if it matters to read the rest or not though. You should read them. They are really good!

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Tracey wrote: "it probably is number 3 now, the order has been changed over the years.
I have the 1970 version. Not sure if it matters to read the rest or not though. You should read them. They are really good! "

They're definitely on my tbr... but that pile is so high that I don't think I will ever be able to diminish it!

message 16: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments LOL i understand what you mean!
the only reason I was able to read a few (aside from Lion, witch and wardrobe which i read as a kid) is because I used them for the last challenge.

message 17: by Alicia (last edited Feb 17, 2010 11:27PM) (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 24 comments This might be a stretch ...
What about The Outsiders? The main character's name is "Ponyboy"...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I'm reading an old classic, Black Beauty.

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Lyn M, I'm also going to read Black Beauty!

message 20: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments One of my favorite writers just passed away: Dick Francis. He wrote dozens of mysteries, all of which take place in and around the English racing community. Some examples (not my particular favorites, just showed up first on the list): Dead HeatProofDead Heat

In general, the older ones are a bit better. He wrote up until he died, but the later ones are mostly co- (or ghost) written by his wife and his son. Still good, but not *as* good as the early ones.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments I read the Horse and His Boy for the last challenge - you definitely don't need to read it in order with the rest of the series. I managed to fit all of the Narnia books into the last challenge and they are very fast reads. Definitely work them in if you can!

message 22: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) The Horse Boy: A Father's Story not sure if this can be used.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments I managed to fit in all but two of them.

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 654 comments There's also Out Stealing Horses: A Novel by Per Petterson.

message 25: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 18, 2010 06:18AM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "The Horse Boy: A Father's Story not sure if this can be used."
That's fine

Alicia wrote: "This might be a stretch ...
What about The Outsiders? The main character's name is "Ponyboy"..."

No

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I highly recommend Seabiscuit!

Some others:

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Riding Lessons: A Novel by Sara Gruen
Flying Changes by Sara Gruen
National Velvet by Enid Bagnold

message 27: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments The Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss is a terrific book--fiction--about a young woman in 1918 who is a horse breaker who does not use the traditional methods of the time. I am not a horse person and don't read a lot of animal stories, but I enjoyed this one. I listened to it on CD (which I don't normally do) and liked it so well I missed my turn-off on the Interstate.

message 28: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Any book by Dick Francis I guess. He died earlier this week too.

message 31: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Feb 18, 2010 03:27PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Shannon - Cool!! Black Beauty is one of my favorites from my youth!

Donna Jo - My brother-in-law, who is a horse trainer, loves that book.

message 32: by Donna Jo (last edited Feb 19, 2010 12:20PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Lyn M wrote: "Shannon - Cool!! Black Beauty is one of my favorites from my youth!

Donna Jo - My brother-in-law, who is a horse trainer, loves that book. "

It was recommended to me by a friend who is heavy into horses. I liked it because there was more to the story than just the horses.

Another good one would be Another Kind Of Cowboy by Susan Juby, about dressage riding. I just finished it recently.

You might also consider Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World by Mim Eichler Rivas

message 33: by Donna Jo (last edited Feb 19, 2010 04:50PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments My friend Lorie, who is a librarian and a horse lover, recommended the following:
"The Horsemasters" by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. Payton Place set in the world of show jumping.

"Death on the Diagonal" by Carolyn Banks. She has written several dressage-based mysteries.

"White Horses" by Joan Wolf. Romance.

"My Dancing White Horses: the autobiography of Alois Podhajsky" -- probably the best known of the masters of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. He was the riding master during WWII when they escaped (with the horses) from Vienna as the Germans invaded. Disney's "Miracle of the White Stallions" is based on that episode.

"Talking of Horses" by Monica Dickens, great granddaughter of Charles Dickens. Essays and reminences.
"Chosen by a horse." by Susan Richards. Touching memoir about what a woman learns from the horse she rescues. Same author has another, similar book coming out soon.

"Riding Lessons" by Sara Gruen of Water for Elephants fame.

"Broken" by Lisa Jones. We also have this one (nonfiction) in the system. I started it but didn't like the horse stuff so gave it up, but Tina read it and liked it a lot.

One of my all time favorites is National Velvet. Worth it if you have never read it.

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Another one I just remembered: The Bookwoman's Last Fling: A Cliff Janeway Novel is about an ex-detective who is now a bookseller, and gets involved in a case that pulls him into the world of horse racing. It is not my favorite of the series, but it can be read stand alone, and in fact it might be more enjoyable without being compared to others in the series.

message 35: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Almost anything by Dick Francis will work.

message 36: by Krista (last edited Feb 19, 2010 06:49PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Here's a few more that I've thought of. I haven't read them all...
Dark Horse by Tami Hoag
Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand (I LOVED this book...)
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy
The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel

message 37: by Jan (the Gryphon) (last edited Feb 23, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 228 comments Alice wrote: "Any book by Dick Francis I guess. He died earlier this week too."

So sorry to hear that. Dick Francis Francis has been a favorite of mine for many years. As a former jockey, his mystery stories featured horses and the horse racing world. Note that some of his later ones, however, are only peripherially connected to horses.

message 38: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Cynthia, would The Bronze Horsemanwork for this?

message 39: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments SuzieR wrote: "Cynthia, would The Bronze Horsemanwork for this?"

yes

message 40: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments The Horse Goddess by Morgan Llewelyn would be a possiblity for people who enjoyed the Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel.

message 41: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1995 comments do unicorns count as horses? (I'm thinking of the Acorna: The Unicorn Girl series)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments Deedee, I love that series :)

message 43: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighc) | 125 comments I'm going with Half Broke Horses as well, looks like a really interesting read by a great author.

message 44: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Deedee wrote: "do unicorns count as horses? (I'm thinking of the Acorna: The Unicorn Girl series)"
I love unicorns so yes I'll allow them for this task.

message 45: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments If anyone has seen this movie - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hea... - could read the memoir!

A Girl and Five Brave Horses

And oooh! Unicorns!! The Last Unicorn!! YAY!!!

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 673 comments Cynthia, does it have to be the word horse in the title or would stallion also work? I'm considering Rogue Stallion (Montana Mavericks, #1) by Diana Palmer Rogue Stallion for this task.

message 47: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Lisa wrote: "Cynthia, does it have to be the word horse in the title or would stallion also work? I'm considering Rogue Stallion (Montana Mavericks, #1) by Diana Palmer Rogue Stallion for this task."
It appears that horses probably play a role in the story at least from looking at the cover and it would fit for that reason - if it doesn't then no.

message 48: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 06, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments How horsey does a book have to be to count for this task? I was thinking about rereading Amelia and the Outlaw. Amelia's dad owns ranch, where Jesse works) with lots of horses... So they ride horses a lot... and part of the storyline is about this stallion that roams around the area and how Jesse is jealous that he (the stallion) and his mares are free, when he (Jesse) is not... And then at the end, Jesse ends up working with Amelia's dad to tame wild horses...

Would that work?

message 49: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "How horsey does a book have to be to count for this task? I was thinking about rereading Amelia and the Outlaw. Amelia's dad owns ranch, where Jesse works) with lots of horses... ..."

Yes thats fine.

message 50: by Allison (new)

Allison Crews (acrews) | 1 comments I have TONS of suggestions - but first, my own novel that I wrote last summer, Antithesis, is of course the best. :) Foxhunting in the south - action/adventure/romance suitable for young and "old" adults...
Also, now reading Tami Hoag's The Alibi Man - excellent; and highly recommend Jan Neuharth's murder mystery series in the foxhunting world - The Hunt, The Chase, and coming soon, The Kill. Great writer.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.