The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.5 (Freedom Of The Press)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 10.5 - Freedom Of The Press
In Honor of World Press Freedom Day (May 3rd)...
A. Read a novel with a main character who is a journalist.
Or
B. Read a non-fictional book written by or about a famous journalist.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 370 comments Would The Postmistress be okay for this one? One of the main characters is a radio reporter during WWII. Or were you thinking newspaper journalist?

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Suggestions would be nice!!

message 4: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Ummm... I think I'm going to reread The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot. She's a gossip columnist who would love to write more substantial news and the main guy is a crime reporter for the rival paper. Mostly it's a contemporary romance novel, written in e-mail format. It's really cute, and definitely on the less-than-graphic side.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments I have The Secret Life of Walter Winchell - will that work?

message 6: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments I think I am going to read the next Stieg Larsson - Girl Who Played with Fire - he is a journalist at a magazine.

Other one's i have read -

Kelley Armstrong - Living with the Dead
Jennifer Oko - Gloss

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Bridgit wrote: "I think I am going to read the next Stieg Larsson - Girl Who Played with Fire - he is a journalist at a magazine."

What are those books about?

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Bridgit wrote: "I think I am going to read the next Stieg Larsson - Girl Who Played with Fire - he is a journalist at a magazine."

that is a great idea! I will want to fit that one in.

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Sharp Objects: A Novel - Gillian Flynn

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Bridgit wrote: "I think I am going to read the next Stieg Larsson - Girl Who Played with Fire - he is a journalist at a magazine.

Kelley Armstrong - [book:Living with the Dead|2813..."

I have been meaning to read the first one (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Does that have a journalist in it?

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Melissa wrote: "I have The Secret Life of Walter Winchell - will that work? "
Yes

Jen B wrote: "Would The Postmistress be okay for this one? One of the main characters is a radio reporter during WWII. Or were you thinking newspaper journalist?"
Any kind of journalist is fine.

message 12: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Kathryn wrote: "Bridgit wrote: "I think I am going to read the next Stieg Larsson - Girl Who Played with Fire - he is a journalist at a magazine.

Kelley Armstrong - [book:Living with t..."

Yes - it is the same main character. He is the publisher/writer for a magazine.

message 13: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 890 comments Would The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation work? It's not about one famous reporter - here's a clip from the description....
"An unprecedented examination of how news stories, editorials and photographs in the American press—and the journalists responsible for them—profoundly changed the nation’s thinking about civil rights in the South during the 1950s and ‘60s."

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Tammy wrote: "Would The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation work? It's not about one famous reporter - here's a clip from the description....
"An unprece..."

Sure

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I'm reading Front Row at the White House : My Life and Times by Helen Thomas. I love and adore her and this book has been on my shelf for a while. Perfect task to use it!

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments I recently read the memoir Love in the Driest Season: A Family Memoir. The author is a journalist.

message 18: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Any of the Trilogy by Steig Larrson would count.

Last week I finished reading Incendiary by Chris Cleave. Two of the Main Characters in that are Journalist for the Times on Sunday (or maybe another broadsheet paper!).

message 19: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments One of the main characters in Under the Dome is a journalist.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyauer) | 0 comments One of the main characters in The Help is a journalist. I highly recommend this book.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Jen B - I came across the Postmistress, too! But I think I am using it for the 2010 task.

message 22: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Wasn't Nancy Drew in some of her novels a journalist?

message 23: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 199 comments Jenilyn wrote: "One of the main characters in The Help is a journalist. I highly recommend this book."

Jenilyn thanks for mentioning this! I've had The Help on hold at the library for the whole winter challenge! I'm hoping to finally get my hands on it for the spring challenge.

message 24: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments The Shipping News By Annie Proulx should work for this task

message 25: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubina310) If any of you are romance readers, the main character of Dark Lover by J.R. Ward is a journalist.

message 26: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) Oh Ruby thanks so much for letting us know...I was trying to fit that book in this challenge. :~)

message 29: by Felina (new)

Felina Cait wrote: "One of the main characters in Under the Dome is a journalist."

Wooot!! Thanks Cait.

message 30: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i'd like to read Daughter of the Queen of Sheba: A Memoir. the author is an NPR journalist...would that count?

message 31: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments kiki wrote: "i'd like to read Daughter of the Queen of Sheba: A Memoir. the author is an NPR journalist...would that count?"

Any kind of journalist is fine.

message 32: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments thanks! :)

message 33: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) At Home in the World by Daniel Pearl
and
A Mighty Heart by Mariane Pearl

would both work for this task....

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Krista wrote: "At Home in the World by Daniel Pearl
and
A Mighty Heart by Mariane Pearl

would both work for this task...."

Yes

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Jennifer wrote: "The Shipping News By Annie Proulx should work for this task"

Excellent book!

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Would Al-Jazeera: The Story of the Network That Is Rattling Governments and Redefining Modern Journalism by Mohammed El-Nawawy work? It isn't about a specific journalist but rather a journalism network and about freedom of the press.

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (klc23) | 162 comments Would All the President's Men or any of Chuck Klosterman's books work?

message 38: by Usako (last edited Feb 24, 2010 10:46AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Cynthia,

Would Ponzi's Scheme: The True Story of a Financial Legend work? I ask since despite the book focuses on Ponzi it DOES follow the trail that The Post took in writing about Ponzi which resulted in the paper winning the Pulitzer (their only and the paper eventually collapsed). There's chapters devoted to the editor-in-chief who is chasing down Ponzi. In my book club, we said the book wasn't only about Ponzi. It was a dual-bio on Ponzi and the Post.

And the author is a journalist.

message 39: by Angela (new)

Angela | 439 comments Would Magnolia Wednesdays by Wendy Wax work for this task?

"At forty-one, Vivian Armstrong Gray's life as an investigative journalist is crumbling. Humiliated after taking a bullet in her backside during an exposé, Vivi learns that she's pregnant, jobless, and very hormonal. This explains why she says 'yes' to a dreadful job covering suburban living back home in Georgia, a column she must write incognito.

Down South, it's her sister's ballroom dance studio that becomes her undercover spot where she learns about the local life-and where unexpected friendships develop. As she digs up her long buried roots, she starts to wonder if life inside the picket fence is really so bad after all."

message 40: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Angela wrote: "Would Magnolia Wednesdays by Wendy Wax work for this task?

"At forty-one, Vivian Armstrong Gray's life as an investigative journalist is crumbling. Humiliated after taking a bullet in her backsi..."

Yes

Tanja wrote: "Cynthia,

Would Ponzi's Scheme: The True Story of a Financial Legend work? I ask since despite the book focuses on Ponzi it DOES follow the trail that The Post took in writing abou..."

Well since the author is a journalist it automatically qualifies based on option B.

Kate wrote: "Would All the President's Men or any of Chuck Klosterman's books work?"

Yes and Yes

Diane wrote: "Would Al-Jazeera: The Story of the Network That Is Rattling Governments and Redefining Modern Journalism by Mohammed El-Nawawy work? It isn't about a specific journal..."

Yes

message 41: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments Would The Year of Magical Thinking work for this task? The author's style is literary journalism and the wikipedia page for her says that she has a journalism background.

message 42: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Ahahaha. I misread Option B! *raps forehead*

message 43: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Juli wrote: "Would The Year of Magical Thinking work for this task? The author's style is literary journalism and the wikipedia page for her says that she has a journalism background."

I'll take it.

message 44: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments How famous does the journalist have to be? I picked up My Friend the Fanatic by Sadanand Dhume, who wrote for Far Eastern Economic Review and Asian Wall Street Journal in 2002, plus he has appeared on radio and tv in the US.

message 45: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Donna Jo wrote: "How famous does the journalist have to be? I picked up My Friend the Fanatic by Sadanand Dhume, who wrote for Far Eastern Economic Review and Asian Wall Street Journal in 2002, plus..."

As long as they are/were a published journalist it doesn't matter if they are famous for that.

message 46: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Thank you. I was reading the book anyway. When I discovered the journalism angle I was delighted.

message 47: by Sarah (Mood Reader) (last edited Mar 07, 2010 10:10AM) (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Another book that I don't see listed here that I think would work isThe Reincarnationist by M.J. Rose.

message 48: by Louvaine (new)

Louvaine | 104 comments Hi Cynthia, for this task could I read Into Thin Air? The book jacket describes the author as a journalist who has written for Outside magazine.

message 49: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) Cynthia, I have to read Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen for my RL book club and hope it fits this task. The author's bio says he was an AP Lisbon correspondent, which I'd consider journalism. Here's a link to his bio page:

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/bio.html

message 50: by Jay (new)

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments Louvaine wrote: "Hi Cynthia, for this task could I read Into Thin Air? The book jacket describes the author as a journalist who has written for Outside magazine."

Into Thin Air is one of my favorites!!

IMO, Jon Krakauer is definitely a journalist. In fact, "Into Thin Air" was originally an article he wrote published in "Outside" magazine. His wikipedia page states: "Much of Krakauer's popularity as a writer came from being a journalist for Outside magazine...His writing has also appeared in Smithsonian, National Geographic Magazine, Rolling Stone, and Architectural Digest."

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.