The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
220 views
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.2 (Three/Four/Five)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 18, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 10.2 - Three/Four/Five
March, April, and May are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th months of the year - Read a book whose average rating is made up of the numbers 3,4, and 5 (i.e. no other number can be found in it so 3.34 is fine while 2.35 is not). (The book must have that rating when you start to read it - if the rating changes after you or other Goodreads members review it...i.e. if the score is higher or lower than 3.45 when you post the task it will still count.)
If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.


message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Or know any way to find a book with this rating? I looked at all of the books under "My Books" and none of them have this rating.


message 3: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Yeah I am also having trouble with this. None of my TBR books have this rating. And when I sort them, they don't quite sort properly.


message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Erin wrote: "Yeah I am also having trouble with this. None of my TBR books have this rating. And when I sort them, they don't quite sort properly."

That happened to me too! It was really frustrating.


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Some I found were:

Addition by Toni Jordan
Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison
24 Girls in 7 Days by Alex Bradley
Timbuktu: A Novel by Paul Auster

I'm still looking into finding out how to find more.


message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Kathryn wrote: "Erin wrote: "Yeah I am also having trouble with this. None of my TBR books have this rating. And when I sort them, they don't quite sort properly."

That happened to me too! It was really frustrating."


When I sorted them on my TBR, I had four or five with that rating that I was really excited about. But when I clicked on the link for the book, the rating wasn't the same?




message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments By the way, mine doesn't sort properly on the Main View, but it does on the List View.


message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Cait wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Erin wrote: "Yeah I am also having trouble with this. None of my TBR books have this rating. And when I sort them, they don't quite sort properly."

That happened to me too! It was ..."


I noticed that too. We will have to ask Cynthia. If we can't take the 3.45 from our book list view, then this might be near impossible. It would be like a hit or miss thing. What I ended up doing is going to each of my friends and sorting their lists by average review and I finally found something. But like you said, when I clicked on it to take me to the books main page, it was a 3.44 even though the other place it said it was 3.45.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments Wouldn't this be easier if we read a book that had a 3 4 or 5 star rating?


message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Yeah. Or was any combination of 3 4 5. so it could be a 4.53 or 4.35 or 3.54 or 3.45...


Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I know, Jayme, unfortunately, I don't think it is about easier. In fact, the tasks this time around seem quite a bit more complex to me (no complaints). I am having trouble finding books that fit from my TBR.

As for the 3.45 - I am reading The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder: A Novel by Rebecca Wells


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I just wish Cynthia could answer our questions!


Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) She works a lot, and usually only gets on at night, and then answers questions in a huge bunch. I'm sure she'll be here soon.


message 14: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I don't know how helpful it's going to be to give book ideas, because the rating could change anytime, you know? But sorting your TBR is the only way I can think of to find a book...


message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments What I did was I clicked on the explore tab and then people. Then I clicked most active or something like that. Then I picked someone who had several thousand books and I tended to find 3.45 ratings that way. If you don't have any in your own books, that might be an easy/fast way to find this exact rating!


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments cool i will try that


message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 39 comments Kathryn wrote: "What I did was I clicked on the explore tab and then people. Then I clicked most active or something like that. Then I picked someone who had several thousand books and I tended to find 3.45 rating..."

Thank you, I found a bunch of books to choose from when I looked at someone who had 2,000 books!


message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Jennifer wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "What I did was I clicked on the explore tab and then people. Then I clicked most active or something like that. Then I picked someone who had several thousand books and I tended to ..."

NP, I was getting pretty desperate. I looked at someone with like 6,000 books. Now it just needs to stay there, or I need to start reading it so I can say it was 3.45 when I started reading it...


message 19: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments for some reason when I do that it doesn't show the average rating column?


message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 39 comments Tracey wrote: "for some reason when I do that it doesn't show the average rating column?"

Make sure to change your view to list, not main.


message 21: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments hmm, i'll try that and see if that works


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments Okay the best one i could find was 3.49 which was Left Behind.


message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Okay this appears to be harder than I initially imagined it would be - let me think on it today and I'll make some adjustments.


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Thank you Cynthia. It is much appreciated!


message 25: by Diane (last edited Feb 18, 2010 12:19PM) (new)

Diane | 742 comments Here are some I pulled from my tbr list. I didn't have that many 3.45's, but I had a bunch of 3.46's and a few 3.44's. Maybe if you allowed for +/- .02 or so it would make it easier. Here are the 3.45's:

The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond The View from Mount Joy A Novel by Lorna Landvik Three Junes by Julia Glass Farnham's Freehold by Robert A. Heinlein Open House A Novel (Oprah's Book Club) by Elizabeth Berg Drowning Ruth (Oprah's Book Club) by Christina Schwarz The Incumbent by Brian McGrory The Dark Half by Stephen King


message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 654 comments Here are some 3.45 ratings from my shelves:

The Return Journey by Maeve Binchy
The Maytrees: A Novel by Annie Dillard
Grayson by Lynne Cox


message 27: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 199 comments The only one I could find from my list was The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier .


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments The problem is that the ratings are constantly changing.


message 29: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Diane wrote: "Here are some I pulled from my tbr list. I didn't have that many 3.45, but I had a bunch of 3.46's and a few 3.44's. Maybe if you allowed for +/- .02 or so it would make it easier. Here are the ..."

I agree with this. I only had 2 3.45's on my list, but had a bunch in the +/- .03 range. Also, using ratings that are a combination of those numbers would work better too.

I think my strategy is to start reading that one immediately, even if i don't continue, just to lock it in at the number I find it at. have already ordered it from the library.


Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Bridgit wrote: "Diane wrote: "Here are some I pulled from my tbr list. I didn't have that many 3.45, but I had a bunch of 3.46's and a few 3.44's. Maybe if you allowed for +/- .02 or so it would make it easier. ..."

That's what mine is too! The minute I can start reading it for the challenge I will be! lol


message 31: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Bridgit wrote: "I think my strategy is to start reading that one immediately, even if i don't continue, just to lock it in at the number I find it at. have already ordered it from the library."

That's exactly what I was thinking!


message 32: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Jamie wrote: "Bridgit wrote: "Diane wrote: "Here are some I pulled from my tbr list. I didn't have that many 3.45, but I had a bunch of 3.46's and a few 3.44's. Maybe if you allowed for +/- .02 or so it would ..." You could start now, as long as you read less than half before March 1. Personally, I can't start that far ahead (I'll forget what I was reading!), but if you have a good memory, it would be a way to lock it in.




message 33: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Ashley wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Bridgit wrote: "Diane wrote: "Here are some I pulled from my tbr list. I didn't have that many 3.45, but I had a bunch of 3.46's and a few 3.44's. Maybe if you allowed for +/- .02 o..."

Ha - Yeah. I figure it still counts even if i just read a page or two!


message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments For I Love You, Beth Cooper, I have the rating showing at 3.36. The others were fine.


message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Maybe a rating ending in 3, 4 or 5?


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I like the idea of 3, 4 or 5 stars!


message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Or a combination of two of the numbers (3 and 4, 4 and 5, or 3 and 5) somewhere in the rating. I noticed I have several that are 3.44 or that have two of the numbers in it, just not all three and none in the right order.


message 39: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Or a combination of two of the numbers (3 and 4, 4 and 5, or 3 and 5) somewhere in the rating. I noticed I have several that are 3.44 or that have two of the numbers in it, just not all three and n..."

I have seen a TON of 3.44's too! I wonder why that is?


message 40: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 24 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Or a combination of two of the numbers (3 and 4, 4 and 5, or 3 and 5) somewhere in the rating. I noticed I have several that are 3.44 or that have two of the numbers in it, just not all three and n..."

I like this idea! I am having a hard time finding a book as well.


message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Alicia wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Or a combination of two of the numbers (3 and 4, 4 and 5, or 3 and 5) somewhere in the rating. I noticed I have several that are 3.44 or that have two of the numbers in it, just..."

Cynthia said she would get back to us later today about possibly ammending this task. Hopefully she will!


message 42: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments I've adjusted the task so that the average rating just has to be made up of 3's, 4's, and 5's.


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Does it have to be at the time that we read it or how about choosing it?


message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Cynthia wrote: "I've adjusted the task so that the average rating just has to be made up of 3's, 4's, and 5's."

Yay! Thank you, Cynthia, you're the best!


message 45: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sarah wrote: "Does it have to be at the time that we read it or how about choosing it?"
When you start reading it still.




Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments That makes it so much easier.


message 47: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Kathryn wrote: "For I Love You, Beth Cooper, I have the rating showing at 3.36. The others were fine."

I think the average ratings are edition specific. Since for translated works, the specific edition/translation could make a huge difference in the quality of the individual edition, even though they are same story. This may account for Kathryn & Kay showing different ratings for the same title.

Another way to find book ratings is through the "popular" lists (most read this week/month/all time or the popular books by date) the average rating is below the title in light grey. While they only list a hundred books at a time, there may be a higher concentration of books you want to read.

Although I suspect the best method is find the members with the most books shelved and sort their "all" shelf by average rating.


message 48: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Here's a few more I found that will work under the new criteria:

The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl An Ordinary Man An Autobiography by Paul Rusesabagina


message 49: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Diane wrote: "Here's a few more I found that will work under the new criteria:

The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling [bookcover:Man's Search for Meaning|406..."


YES, I have been trying to fit Harry Potter #4 into the task!


« previous 1
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.