The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.6 (May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month)

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 5.6 - May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month
To celebrate this month read a novel that takes place in a Asian/Pacific county, that features an Asian/Pacific American character, or written by an Asian/Pacific American author.

Asian-Pacific Heritage Month

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I need some suggestions please!

message 3: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 17, 2010 02:19PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I think I'm going to read A Step from Heaven by An Na, who is Korean American.

*Memoirs of a Geisha takes place in Japan...
*Kimchi & Calamari is a very cute YA book about a Korean boy who was adopted by an Italian family (when he was really young) and how he gets more in touch with his Korean side because of a school "heritage" project.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I could be wrong, but my understanding is that it has to be a book by an Asian-Pacific author or in an Asian-Pacific country. The link that Cynthia included explained what Asian-Pacific means. I too thought at first that it meant any Asian country/author.

message 5: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments *clicks the link*

"May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month – a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States. A rather broad term, Asian-Pacific encompasses all of the Asian continent and the Pacific islands of Melanesia..., Micronesia... and Polynesia...." (emphasis added)

I think Asia is fair game. Plus, Japan's totally an island group. ;)

message 6: by Melissa (last edited Feb 17, 2010 02:32PM) (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Some books I've enjoyed, which Cynthia may or may not okay for this...

Saving Fish from Drowning: A Novel
The Kitchen God's Wife
Spring Moon: A Novel of China
Starship & Haiku

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "*clicks the link*

"May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month – a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States. A rather broad term, Asian-Pacific encompasses all of the Asia..."

I am retarded. I am fatiguing from making my list. Thank you Sara!!!!

message 8: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments No problem! I figure we want this task as broad as possible, after the Hawaii task last challenge! ;)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I hope she okay's the Kitchen God's Wife, I've been wanting to read it!

message 10: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I think I am going to read something by Murakami.

message 11: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments I think i'm going to read memoirs of a geisha. Been wanting to read that for a while and it's been on my bookshelf for a while.
That should work right?

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Cait wrote: "I think I am going to read something by Murakami."

Me too. I am going with After Dark

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I'm either going to read The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan or Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto.

message 14: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I am going to read The Kitchen God's Wife

message 15: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 114 comments Would Snow Flower and the Secret Fan be okay for this one?

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Pollyanna wrote: "Would Snow Flower and the Secret Fan be okay for this one?"

Yes she is Chinese-American.

message 17: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Women of the Silk is a lovely story.

message 18: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) I'm thinking of using either A Town Like Alice or The Housekeeper and the Professor. I think they both would work for this task.

message 19: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Krista wrote: "I'm thinking of using either A Town Like Alice or The Housekeeper and the Professor. I think they both would work for this task."

Krista, I really, really liked A Town like Alice. I though the Housekeeper and the Professor a little lame--certainly not awful, but not as wondeful as I wanted it to be.

message 20: by Krista (last edited Feb 21, 2010 01:59PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Donna Jo wrote: "Krista wrote: "I'm thinking of using either A Town Like Alice or The Housekeeper and the Professor. I think they both would work for this task."

Krista, I really, really liked A Town like Alice. ..."

Thanks Donna Jo! You're reviews are so spot on for my tastes. I really trust your opinion.
A Town Like Alice it is.

:-)

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I think I'll read A Town Like Alice, too! I could read the sequel to Empress Orchid which I recently bought buuuuut I heard the sequel wasn't as good as Empress Orchid.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Okay, dumb question, but does India count as an Asian country? I have a book set in India already on my TBR and I am trying to find homes for them first.

message 23: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments India's in Asia, so... I'd say yes.

message 24: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Tanja wrote: "I think I'll read A Town Like Alice, too! I could read the sequel to Empress Orchid which I recently bought buuuuut I heard the sequel wasn't as good as Empress Orchid."

I just saw on the help thread for the 'What's In a Name' task that Nevil Shute is a pen name. So for those of you planning on doing the Reading with Style challenge this quarter, this book would earn a Combo Point bonus. (If Sam selects both of these tasks for the Reading w/Style Challenge.) I LOVE that challenge!

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Just for clarification. Does it have to be an Asian AND Pacific country or an Asian OR Pacific country (i.e. would a non-Asian South Pacific island work?)?

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Never mind, I got my answer from Cynthia's link:

"May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month – a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States. A rather broad term, Asian-Pacific encompasses all of the Asian continent and the Pacific islands of Melanesia (New Guinea, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji and the Solomon Islands), Micronesia (Marianas, Guam, Wake Island, Palau, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Nauru and the Federated States of Micronesia) and Polynesia (New Zealand, Hawaiian Islands, Rotuma, Midway Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, Cook Islands, French Polynesia and Easter Island)."

message 27: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Diane wrote: "Never mind, I got my answer from Cynthia's link:

"May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month – a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States. A rather broad term, Asian-Pa..."

Oh! So Australia is not included.

message 28: by Rora (new)

Rora I think I'll read Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. It's been on my TBR pile for awhile. (I'm assuming Russia is included in the Asian part)

message 29: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Depends on which part of Russia, doesn't it? As I understand it, west of the Ural Mountains is European-Russia and east of the Ural Mountains is Asian-Russia. (Does make the whole two-continents thing seem silly.)

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "India's in Asia, so... I'd say yes."

well, just wasn't sure we were including subcontinents in this... ;)

message 31: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Yeah, Asia is a freaking gigantic place... but I hadn't considered the different subcontinents... (Errr... maybe because I didn't know about them?? ;) ) I just always think of maps like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia#Pol...

message 32: by TeresaFL (new)

TeresaFL | 96 comments I just downloaded Petals from the Sky by Mingmei Yip since she's from Hong Kong and from what I've read this is set mainly in Asia would this one be ok? (It was a free Kindle download!)

message 33: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Teresa wrote: "I just downloaded Petals from the Sky by Mingmei Yip since she's from Hong Kong and from what I've read this is set mainly in Asia would this one be ok? (It was a fre..."

yes

message 34: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Teresa - THANKS! FREE KINDLE d/l! SOLD!

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments I didn't see this posted yet...

Here's a link to the APALA (Asian Pacific American Librarians Association) awards books.

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) | 126 comments Oh, scroll down to the bottom of the page (of the link posted above), and you'll find links to past APALA winners (2002-2009).

message 37: by Deedee (last edited Mar 26, 2010 11:05AM) (new)

Deedee | 1996 comments I was considering using The Hidden Brain: How Our Unconscious Minds Elect Presidents, Control Markets, Wage Wars, and Save Our Lives by Shankar Vedantam (Hardcover, 288 pages). Shankar Vedantam appears to be an American of East Asian descent (Indian?) Thanks!

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) I found this as a free download for the Kindle:

Sushi for One?

The author is from Hawaii, and the characters in the book are described as Asian-Americans. I believe it fits the task. Unfortunately, it looks like the Kindle download is no longer free!

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Okay, I just re-read that list of countries and I noticed New Zealand is on it. Also, on another note, does The Piano Teacher work? I don't know anything about this book... but it looks good.

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 673 comments Kathryn wrote: "Okay, I just re-read that list of countries and I noticed New Zealand is on it. Also, on another note, does The Piano Teacher work? I don't know anything about this book... but it lo..."

I used The Piano Teacher for this task. It takes place in Hong Kong.
The Piano Teacher You can click on the book for my review.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Does Unaccustomed Earth work for this task? Of Indian heritage, I assume Lahiri is OK for an author, but this is a collection of stories, so not sure about the "novel" part.

message 42: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1996 comments How about Michelle Sagara? from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle... Michelle Sagara She's Japanese-Canadian not Japanese-American, but I thought the point of this task is that she is of Japanese ancestory, not whether or not she lives in America.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.