The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.2 ("A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.")

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 17, 2010 10:04AM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 5.2 - "A book is like a garden carried in the pocket."
When I think of spring I think of flowers and when I think of flowers I think of gardens...For this task read a novel featuring gardens (Ex. The Secret Garden) OR a gardener (Ex. Gardener to the King) OR a non-fiction book about gardening (Ex. The Vegetable Gardener's Bible)

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim  | 0 comments I just finished reading The Forgotten Garden today and it was really good!

message 3: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I really enjoyed The Forgotten Garden. An older one I enjoyed was Night Gardening by E. L. Swann

message 4: by Cait (last edited Feb 17, 2010 05:00PM) (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I will probably read The Constant Gardener.

Other books from my tbr include Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Garden of Last Days: A Novel, and The Cement Garden.

I also really enjoyed Garden Spells.

message 6: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Does it have to be ABOUT a garden, or just the word garden in the title? I have Garden of Eden by Hemingway that I would like to read (and also Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil)?

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Bridgit wrote: "Does it have to be ABOUT a garden, or just the word garden in the title? I have Garden of Eden by Hemingway that I would like to read (and also Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil)? "

My understanding is that it has to be about the garden... I really hope that i am wrong, though.

message 8: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments yeah, that's what I thought... shucks.

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Ah crap. Editing my post...

message 10: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Can someone tell me if Life and Times of Michael K works for this task? 1,189 people on Library Thing have it tagged
Gardeners>Fiction, but I can't seem to find anything in the description. Thanks!

message 11: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments would you accept Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life for this task?

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments kiki wrote: "would you accept Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life for this task?"
Yes

Cait wrote: "Can someone tell me if Life and Times of Michael K works for this task? 1,189 people on Library Thing have it tagged
Gardeners>Fiction, but I can't seem to find anything in the descri..."

The main character is a gardener who loses his job but yes I'll take it.

message 13: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Thank you Cynthia!

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments kiki wrote: "would you accept Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life for this task?"

This is a FABULOUS book!

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Not sure if it would count or not, but one of the main characters in The Photograph by Penelope Lively is a landscape designer and there is some discussion of the gardens she creates.

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Katie wrote: "Not sure if it would count or not, but one of the main characters in The Photograph by Penelope Lively is a landscape designer and there is some discussion of the garden..."

Sure

message 17: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) So we can read The Forgotten Garden

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments So it has to have garden in the title? It can't have a type of flower that grows in a garden? Also would Susannah's Garden or Winter Garden work?

message 19: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Sarah wrote: "So it has to have garden in the title? It can't have a type of flower that grows in a garden? Also would Susannah's Garden or Winter Garden work?"

Sarah - i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with 'garden' in the title. The plot of the book has to be about a garden of some sort. Even if 'garden' is part of the title, if it isnt about an actual garden, it wouldnt count.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Bridgit wrote: "Sarah wrote: "So it has to have garden in the title? It can't have a type of flower that grows in a garden? Also would Susannah's Garden or Winter Garden work?"

Sara..."

Bridgit is correct - if there is a garden mentioned or is a setting in the book that is what I'm looking for.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Would Earthly Joys by Philippa Gregory work? Some people had it listed as gardeners.

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Jamie wrote: "Would Earthly Joys by Philippa Gregory work? Some people had it listed as gardeners. "

Yes

message 23: by Manday (last edited Feb 20, 2010 02:37PM) (new)

Manday | 311 comments When I was young I loved Mandy (Julie Andrews Collection) by Julie Andrews Edwards , its a children's chapter book and very secret-garden esque, and for trivia, its written by Julie Andrews.

message 24: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1994 comments Would A Garden In The Rain by Lynn Kurland qualify for this task? I haven't read it yet .... but what I do know is that A Garden In The Rain is a time travel romance. I suspect that the location where the time travel occurs is a garden, but I won't know for sure until I've read it.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I just want to make sure but would Forbidden Garden by Tracy Fobes allowed or Secret Garden?

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sarah wrote: "I just want to make sure but would Forbidden Garden by Tracy Fobes allowed or Secret Garden?"
Yes and Yes

Deedee wrote: "Would A Garden In The Rain by Lynn Kurland qualify for this task? I haven't read it yet .... but what I do know is that A Garden In The Rain is a time travel romance. I ..."
I've read a couple of descriptions and none mention a garden - it would work for the Irish task though since one of the main characters is named Patrick.

message 27: by Krista (last edited Feb 21, 2010 11:35AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Cynthia, would this work?
The White Garden: A Novel of Virginia Woolf

I think that this will work. From the book blurb it appears that the garden plays a major role in the book. I have it on my bookshelf right now. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed...)

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Krista wrote: "Cynthia, would this work?
The White Garden: A Novel of Virginia Woolf

I think that this will work. From the book blurb it appears that the garden plays a major role in the boo..."

Yes - it sound interesting - hope you enjoy it.

message 29: by Arow (new)

Arow Hi; would this work Mulch (Gardening Mysteries) by Ann Ripley? The main character is an Organic Gardener/TV Hostess.
Thanks!

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Arow wrote: "Hi; would this work Mulch (Gardening Mysteries) by Ann Ripley? The main character is an Organic Gardener/TV Hostess.
Thanks!"

Definitely

message 31: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Does an orchard count as a garden?

message 32: by Arow (new)

Arow Thanks Cynthia!

message 33: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments I fell into this Nora Roberts series as part of the friends-of-friends task, and I think it would work?

Blue Dahlia
Black Rose
Red Lily

I hope so, because I am trying to slot in the 2nd and 3rd ("Red Lily" is actually the name of a character (Lily), so I can use it for the name task!)

Are these ok, Cynthia?

Thanks!

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Ashley wrote: "I fell into this Nora Roberts series as part of the friends-of-friends task, and I think it would work?

Blue Dahlia
Black Rose
Red Lily

I hope so, because ..."

Works for me.

Beth(MN) wrote: "Does an orchard count as a garden?"
I'd consider it a fruit garden and would take orchards.

message 35: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Thanks, Cynthia :)

message 36: by Jay (new)

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments Hi Cynthia...would you accept The Night Gardener for this task? Victims are found in community gardens, and the killer is dubbed The Night Gardener. There are some additional descriptions on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/prod...

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Jay wrote: "Hi Cynthia...would you accept The Night Gardener for this task? Victims are found in community gardens, and the killer is dubbed The Night Gardener. There are some additional descript..."

Yes

message 38: by Jay (new)

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments Thanks!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.