Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Brian Keene

Comments Showing 1-50 of 199 (199 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Marx (mclovinnn) | 8 comments I love his books

message 2: by LinBee (last edited Mar 26, 2010 11:34AM) (new)

LinBee So do I. I can't get enough of 'em.

Loved: The Rising, The Rising: Selected scenes (Short stories having to do with The Rising & the other books), what I read of City of the Dead, Dead Sea, The Conqueror Worms.

Liked: Darkness on the Edge of Town

Hated: Castaways, Ghoul.

I plan on reading more, but it is very hard for me to get my hands on any of his books short of buying them...:(

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Me, too. Well, most of them. I'm reading Darkness on the Edge of Town. Great character development even though the dystopian plot has been used many times before.

Loved: The Rising, City of the Dead, Dead Sea, The Conqueror Worms, Terminal

Liked: Dark Hollow, Ghoul, Ghost Walk

Hated: Urban Gothic, Castaways

I do plan to read more of his books.

Matt, which books have you read and liked?

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 1460 comments I've only read "The Conqueror Worms" which was great and have just started The Rising which is starting out well.

2 hater votes for Castaway. What's it about and why's it so awful? It's in the tbr pile so let me know if I should skip it. I'll never live long enough to read all of these books anyway.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Castaways is about contestants in a Survivor-type show that get killed off one by one. It's as boring as it sounds. It almost seems like it wasn't even written by Keene, who otherwise is a good writer.

message 6: by William (new)

William (acknud) LinBee wrote: "I plan on reading more, but it is very hard for me to get my hands on any of his books short of buying them...:(
"

Buying them? What a novel approach! :-)

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Maybe it's better if you imagine them as Gilligan, the Skipper, the Professor, Ginger, Mary Anne, and Mr and Mrs Howell.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments William, some young people are on a budget. They're not all rich like we are.

message 9: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments Tressa wrote: "William, some young people are on a budget. They're not all rich like we are."

LOL, yet too cheap to by a 50$ book?! Sorry Tressa, had to take a jab :P

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm rich for a reason, Jerrod. You should take notes.

message 11: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments Tressa wrote: "I'm rich for a reason, Jerrod. You should take notes."

Don't need to, I make enough and live well within my means.

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm just kidding. I'm not rich, just an average middle-class girl.

message 13: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments Tressa wrote: "I'm just kidding. I'm not rich, just an average middle-class girl."

Oh I'm rich, but it's not measured in monetary value.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Jerrod wrote: "Oh I'm rich, but it's not measured in monetary value."

You are wise beyond your years, Grasshopper.

message 15: by Matt (new)

Matt Marx (mclovinnn) | 8 comments i>Tressa wrote: "Me, too. Well, most of them. I'm reading Darkness on the Edge of Town. Great character development even though the dystopian plot has been used many times before.

Loved: The Rising, City of the De..."

im currently reading The Rising and ive read Castaways, The Conqueror Worms

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Keene is hit and miss for me, but even his lesser books are better than most. I really like his diversity of writing.

message 17: by Matt (new)

Matt Marx (mclovinnn) | 8 comments Tressa wrote: "Keene is hit and miss for me, but even his lesser books are better than most. I really like his diversity of writing. "

i like the rising but i have to agree with u on castaways

message 18: by LinBee (new)

LinBee 1. I work for the county...so not rich. We're on a tight budget as it is. I get yelled at if I buy books. (especially since I work for the library.)
2. I have so many books at home already, I have to get rid of some before I can get more.
3. If I hate the book, I will be really pissed that I spent the money for it.

But yes, buying books is a very novel idea. Hell, I found 2 Jack Ketchums here for $.50 a pop. Gotta love donations.

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments I just finished Kill Whitey. It was short but enjoyable.

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Lin, I find it very hard to buy books when I can get them for free at the library. I only buy bizarro and books I enjoyed so much I want to collect them. My husband works at a library too and I yell at him when he buys too many Star Trek or military books.

message 21: by Derek (new)

Derek (splatterpunk17) | 9 comments The Rising was absolutely INSANE! Haven't picked up City of the Dead though. I just recently bought Urban Gothic. People say they hated it, but we will see if I do.

message 22: by LinBee (last edited Feb 18, 2010 09:11AM) (new)

LinBee Tressa wrote: "Lin, I find it very hard to buy books when I can get them for free at the library. I only buy bizarro and books I enjoyed so much I want to collect them. My husband works at a library too and I yel..."

That's exactly it. My husband starts yelling that I work in a library, why the heck do I need to buy books for! I only try to buy books that I want to collect or keep. I will only buy (I bought Meat by D'Lacey) if I really want to read it (and that came highly recommended by you!), and can't get it any other way. (I couldn't ILL it.) Though, "Ghoul" is on it's way, and I put in for "Conqueror Worms" & "Dark Hollow" yesterday.

message 23: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 83 comments I am also Brian Kneene addict and had bought all his work so far. I really love his plain style of writing and think if I wrote like he did, I might have been more successful with my first book. His work had always been clear and direct which explains why he gained so much readers.

message 24: by Matt (new)

Matt Marx (mclovinnn) | 8 comments Derek wrote: "The Rising was absolutely INSANE! Haven't picked up City of the Dead though. I just recently bought Urban Gothic. People say they hated it, but we will see if I do."

u should get The City of the Dead cuz then u find out wat happens to Danny

message 25: by Derek (new)

Derek (splatterpunk17) | 9 comments I'll have to go pick it up soon! I hated how he ended The Rising so abruptly, with what I thought was an unnecessary cliffhanger. Oh well. I guess whatever you have to do to leave it open for a sequel!

message 26: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Derek wrote: "I'll have to go pick it up soon! I hated how he ended The Rising so abruptly, with what I thought was an unnecessary cliffhanger. Oh well. I guess whatever you have to do to leave it open for a ..."

That's true, it was pretty abrupt! I was reading, got to the end, and was like wth! Then I realised I had to track down City of the Dead, and was kind of relieved. But it was kind of irritating.

message 27: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) | 231 comments Comic series with cover art
http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_17...

message 28: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments Just is still out for me with Brian. I loved the first and third parts of Conquerer Worms, and found the middle part good. I have yet to read anything else of his though. The Rising has been sitting on my shelf for a good 6 months though.

message 29: by Matt (new)

Matt Marx (mclovinnn) | 8 comments u should totally read it i thought the rising was amazing!!!!!

message 30: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments I plan to, just right now it doesn't "fit in" with me old brain, so it will have to wait a tad still. But I have all intentions in reading it. It's certain others of his I doubt I would pick up, like that Urban Gothic sounds like one I will continue to avoid.

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I just finished Darkness on the Edge of Town. Not as good as some of his earlier books. He's getting to be hit or miss with me. It's not a terrible book, just not much original in it.

I think Urban Gothic is his worst.

message 32: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments That DARKNESS is short! I was surprised when I saw it was only 200 some odd pages!

message 33: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Now that you mention it it is a little shorter than most books. Two hundred sixty-four pages.

message 34: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 608 comments And isn't only a part of that the actual story? If I remember right, the story itself is only about 230 pages, if even.

message 35: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Just looked and the actual story is 264. You might be getting the numbers mixed up because there is a teaser about his next book in the back and it is about 30 pages long.

Just read the teaser for A Gathering of Crows: looks interesting.

message 36: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Yeah, the Gathering of Crows looks good. I started reading that teaser right after I got the Darkness book. Right now, I have Ghoul because it's an ILL, but I have Darkness at home too. It looks like a mix of a Twilight zone episode and something else I can't place at the moment. I returned Urban Gothic unread because I have so many others to read, and since some people whose opinions I value said it wasn't that good...I'm going to put it on the back burner for later.

message 37: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Just flip through Urban Gothic for the gory parts in the abandoned house. That's what I did.

Darkness did sort of read like a Twilight Zone episode where something weird happens to a small town and the citizens go wild and start attacking. I guess it's sort of like Under the Dome in a small way, too.

message 38: by D4ngerousBeans (new)

D4ngerousBeans | 122 comments read the rising , and City of the Dead , Ghoul all of which I really liked ,I have Dark hollow sitting here on my To Read Shelf ,but I read that many different types of books it could take me a while to get round to it.

message 39: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments Brian knows what his fans wants- and usually delivers with a solid punch.

message 40: by LinBee (new)

LinBee It's true, he doesn't hold back.

message 41: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yeah, I'll give him that. And most times his books are great reads: The Conqueror Worms and his zombie novels. Don't get me started on Urban Gothic (?).

message 42: by LinBee (last edited Mar 19, 2010 07:38AM) (new)

LinBee I just finished Conqueror Worms, and I must say I really enjoyed it! I find he generally seems to do better with the books featuring The 13, than he does with those stand alones (Castaways, etc.) He's very good at apocalyptic! And I did like Darkness on the Edge of Town. It was a good short read, but not too in-depth, and not that well developed. But I liked it ok.

message 43: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments That's the perfect description of Darkness on the Edge of Town and why I didn't enjoy it. I like deeper characters and a better developed plot.

message 44: by LinBee (new)

LinBee It had some potential, maybe if it had been longer. I like his post-apocalyptic books, anything to do with The 13. It was for me a bit of mind garbage in-between the meatier books.

message 45: by LinBee (last edited Mar 26, 2010 11:33AM) (new)

LinBee For all those who hate the new trend of adding Zombies (& other things to classics), The Rising (without Zombies):

http://jeffstrand.wordpress.com/2010/...

(Posted on Mr. Keene's own blog)

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 1460 comments That was hilarious, thanks for posting the link.

message 47: by D4ngerousBeans (new)

D4ngerousBeans | 122 comments It seems very short was something missing from the story?

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It seems very short was something missing from the story?

The zombie.

Man, those Jeff Strand books look good. I need to put them on my list. I read Pressure and loved it.

message 49: by D4ngerousBeans (new)

D4ngerousBeans | 122 comments The rising was a very good read , fast paced and you never knew who was going to get it next , zombie birds , was a new one to me ,then I seen the same thing in Stephen Kings The Stand a few months after I had read the Rising.

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The birds were a nice touch.

« previous 1 3 4