The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.1 (All About The Birds And The Bees)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 5.1 - All About The Birds And The Bees
A. Read a book with a type of bird in the title...Ex. The Swan Thieves or Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence--and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process
OR
B. Read a book with a type of insect in the title...Ex. The Secret Life of Bees or The Butterfly Garden: Surviving Childhood on the Run with One of Americas Most Wanted

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments So it has to be specific it can't just be a bird or an insect?

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sarah wrote: "So it has to be specific it can't just be a bird or an insect?" Yes it has to be a type of bird or insect not just the word bird or insect.

message 5: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 17, 2010 11:17AM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Can we read A Redbird Christmas: a Novel?" If it's not a real species of bird like cardinals, orioles, blue jays etc. no.

message 6: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) It has a picture of a Robin Redbreast on the front cover if thats any help.

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 95 comments Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars would work and so would The Sparrow. Those are just off the top of my head-I'm sure there are a ton more.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "It has a picture of a Robin Redbreast on the front cover if thats any help."

But redbird isn't a specific type of bird so it wouldn't count.

message 9: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks Cynthia x

message 10: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern... actually, it is... then again, English isn't my first language, so I could be missing something.

message 11: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 17, 2010 07:24PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments The Goose Girl is really good.

message 12: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Donna Andrews' Meg Langslow mystery series all have bird names in the titles. If you enjoy your mysteries with humor, these are fun ones. (I have a friend who hates mysteries, but she liked the first one, Murder With Peacocks.)

message 15: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Thank you for cuckoo Jamie; this is the perfect place for me to put The Midwich Cuckoos!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Cait wrote: "Thank you for cuckoo Jamie; this is the perfect place for me to put The Midwich Cuckoos!"

No problem! Glad to help since you have already been so helpful with all your suggestions!! I think it is funny how when people suggest something it sparks other ideas for me!

message 17: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Can I read The Beekeeper for this?

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments I recently finished (and enjoyed!) Of Bees and Mist: A Novel

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 682 comments Little Bee by Chris Cleave

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Can I read The Beekeeper for this?"

yes

message 21: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments I might read Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China for this.

message 22: by Petra (new)

Petra I might read The Kite Runner(kite being a bird) but The Midwich Cuckoos is on my TBR list, too. Maybe it's time for another John Wyndham book. They're always good.

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I think I'm going to use Lord of the Flies. Hard to believe I've never read it!

I highly recommend Crow Lake.

message 24: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 18, 2010 09:06AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Could I read Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel? Fowl....

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie For Tom Robbins fans, there's Still Life with Woodpecker.

message 26: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 355 comments I seem to like books about fireflies:
Firefly Lane
Firefly Summer

I think I'm going with Firefly Lane for this one. My mom gave it to me awhile back and I just haven't gotten around to it.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Could I read Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel? Fowl...."

I totally forgot that a Fowl is a bird. I have been meaning to read that series.

message 28: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments They're really good. I've read all of them except the graphic novel.

message 29: by Usako (last edited Feb 18, 2010 01:22PM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Sara <3 YAY for Goose Girl! I've had it on my TBR and most definitely want to read.

But I do recommend The Black Swan by Merecedes Lackey if you like the ballet mixed with fantasy and magic! Course there's her Bardic Voices series which all have a bird in the title.

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Could I read Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel? Fowl...."

Fowl is not a specific type of bird so no.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Cynthia wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "Could I read Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel? Fowl...."

Fowl is not a specific type of bird so no."

Oh, darn. That means I am back to The Secret Life of Bees.

message 32: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 18, 2010 09:51PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Which I've already read.... Hmmmm... I think I may reread The Goose Girl before going on to Enna Burning and River Secrets, each of which I have lined up for another task...

message 33: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Jen B wrote: "I seem to like books about fireflies:
Firefly Lane
Firefly Summer

I think I'm going with Firefly Lane for this one. My mom gave it to me awhile back and I just hav..."

Thanks for posting. I am going to check out
Firefly Lane too since I have meant to read that author and see what I think. I really wanted to try The Swan Thieves, but was kind of up in the air about it after being slightly let down by The Historian.

message 34: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 355 comments Nicole wrote: "Jen B wrote: "I seem to like books about fireflies:
Firefly Lane
Firefly Summer

I think I'm going with Firefly Lane for this one. My mom gave it to me awhile back and ..."

My mom and others I know who have read Firefly Lane say it's good, but a little bit of a tearjerker. So maybe keep the kleenex handy just in case!

message 35: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubina310) For Romance readers, there's always The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

message 36: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) A couple more 'bird' books that I've been intending to read for awhile are:
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill: A Love Story . . . with Wings
The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird

Insect:
The Beekeeper's Apprentice (If 'The Beekeeper will work, then I'm assuming that this title will also work...)

message 38: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik--it's the 5th book in the Temeraire series about the Napoleonic War fought with a dragon air force.
The Eagle's Prophecy and The Eagle's Prey by Simon Scarrow--Historical fiction about ancient Rome.
The Eagle's Daughter by Judith Tarr--Historical romance set in 10th century Byzantine court of Otto II & III.

message 39: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2040 comments Would phoenix count as a bird, or does it have to be real?

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Coralie wrote: "Would phoenix count as a bird, or does it have to be real?"

Oh, good thinking. I could read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix!

message 41: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Coralie wrote: "Would phoenix count as a bird, or does it have to be real?"

It should be a real animal.

message 42: by Krista (last edited Feb 21, 2010 09:23AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) I've found a few more books with a type of bird in teh title from my TBR shelf:
The Owl Killers (Donna Jo gave this one 4 stars)
Under the Eagle - The first in a terrific series of novels on the Roman Military. The series follows two soldiers - Macro and Cato - fighting under Vespasian in the mid-first Century AD.
A Pigeon and a Boy: A Novel

And some others that I've run across lately:
Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie
The Pelican Brief
My Mistress's Sparrow Is Dead: Great Love Stories from Chekhov to Munro
Song of the Sparrow

The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time
The Sanctuary Sparrow: The Seventh Chronicle of Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters

message 43: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments krista, i was just coming on to mention The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time. i read this during my undergrad years and i found it to be fascinating!

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Krista wrote: "I've found a few more books with a type of bird in teh title from my TBR shelf:
The Owl Killers (Donna Jo gave this one 4 stars)
Under the Eagle - The first in a te..."

Oh, I love The Pelican Brief! I will use that book for this task! Thanks so much, Krista!!!

message 45: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) It looks interesting to me. I think I'm going to read The Swan Thieves for this task since I have it in my hand, and I need to write a book review for it. But some of these other books are really tempting too!

message 46: by Krista (last edited Feb 21, 2010 09:22AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Kathryn wrote: "Krista wrote: "I've found a few more books with a type of bird in teh title from my TBR shelf: The Owl Killers (Donna Jo gave this one 4 stars) ...
Oh, I love The Pelican Brief! I will use that book for this task! Thanks so much, Krista!!!
..."

Glad I could help!

message 47: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Oh The Owl Killers is a great book! My book of the year for 2009!

message 48: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubina310) Mr. Popper's Penguins!

message 49: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments I was coming on here to suggest In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez, but somebody beat me to it. So I'll just say it's a GREAT book! Highly recommend it!

message 50: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Ruby!! Mr. Popper's Penguins!!! I nearly forgot this book! SQUEE!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.