Tudor History Lovers discussion

The Boleyn Wife, by Brandy Purdy

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments I thought I'd share this. I think it's pretty common knowledge that this book is going to be marketed in the UK under a different title, The Tudor Wife, but I was surprised to get an email from Amazon UK this morning suggesting I purchase both. Now go and look what they are suggesting on book page for The Boleyn Wife, http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0758238444...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) There's no summary on this book.

message 3: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Feb 17, 2010 10:41AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1863 comments Snort!

Are this "Brandy Purdy" and "Emily Purdy" the same person, and if so, which is the correct name for the database? (GR Librarian at work.)

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Susanna wrote: "Snort!

Are this "Brandy Purdy" and "Emily Purdy" the same person, and if so, which is the correct name for the database? (GR Librarian at work.)"

Susanna they are one and the same, just Emily for the UK (supposedly the publisher's decision - look at the author's website). I don't know how to match all three up together or I would have done so. The new editions are supposedly edited and rewritten so they are supposedly not *quite* the same. Although from what I've read of blog reviews on this one and the original that I read I didn't see much difference.

message 5: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments O goodness.... That is kinda funny though!!! I was looking at this book the other day and decided against it as I didn't need another Diane Haeger like experience (that book ended up leaving a dent in my wall BTW)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1863 comments Put Emily as a nom de plume of Brandy, and merged the books, with note as to original title.

message 7: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments What would we do without you Susanna?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1863 comments LOL, I'd imagine you'd get by.

message 9: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments No way, it's nice to have a GR librarian in the group to make sure our beloved Tudor books are well tended to! So what I am saying is thank you!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1863 comments Then "you're welcome." LOL

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments I have to agree with Colleen's sentiment, Susanna. I am a true fan of the witty comments and additional tidbits of knowledge you sprinkle into the various groups :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1863 comments I am a bottomless pit of (usually) useless information! (Just ask my mother, LOL.)

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela Simmons (simplyangela) | 34 comments I wanted to add that the book in question has also been previously released as Vengeance Is Mine.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1863 comments Sometimes I want to strangle the publishers.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I think they are just hoping to confuse us and get us to buy more than one book!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1863 comments In this case, probably so.

message 17: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Thanks Angela for adding that for anyone who didn't know.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) I know the author (we share an agent) and I can say that she certainly isn't trying to confuse readers. Vengeance Is Mine was originally self-published; then Kensington bought it. The title "The Boleyn Wife" was probably considered by Kensington to have more reader appeal than the original title, and when the book was bought by a UK publisher, that publisher chose to change the title and the author's name to appeal more to UK readers. The author has posted about this several times on her blog.

This isn't all that uncommon--for instance, a number of Jean Plaidy's novels have been reissued with new titles, and some of Alison Weir's nonfiction books have different titles in the US and the UK, such as the ones about Isabella of France and Katherine Swynford.

message 19: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Thanks Susan!