For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

Discussions > Movie Influenced BookCovers

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How do you feel about the books changing their covers to have images of the the actors from the movie?

message 2: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 150 comments Meh. Don't like it.

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise (redreader) | 34 comments I don't care for it...takes away from the creative mind reading factor to me. Most of the time what was in my minds eye is SO much better than what/who was in the movie. I'm not a Big actor/movie fan - I'd rather read and create the picture in my head.

message 4: by Karli (new)

Karli (goodreadscomkarli_is_booked) BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! That's what I think of it.

message 5: by Pandy (new)

Pandy I don't care for it usually either, especially if it is a specific actor, though I do like my one-volume edition of The Lord of the Rings with a picture of one of the Black Riders from the film.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo I'm not a fan either. I can see why it would help them sell more books but i prefer them to keep their original art.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm adgainist movie influecened covers as well. I really didn't like how Twilight influenced Weuthering Heights as well. Now I can't read it untill the phrase dies a bit more.

Apart of reading is being able to picture the character. Of course within the realm of the discription. However, it is one of the reason I enjoy reading. The character that I created in my mind is going through trails within the book and I get to hang out with them. Hoping, cheering, crying with them.

Although, I think the only exception I would have is the Borne books. I think I'm allowed to be a hypocrite for one book. I can picture Matt Demon no problem.

message 8: by Jencey/ (last edited Feb 17, 2010 08:23AM) (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) My only issue with book and movie covers is wanting to know if I am actually getting the book or the screenplay. I will say there are a couple of Movie covers that I have liked such as: The Devil Wears Prada and The Bourne Supremacy.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo I was very against the twilight themed wuthering heights cover! The only reason was because that book was mentioned in twilight. Fair enough if its a movie of the actual book but to change something on such a tiny link like that.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The Bourne Supremacy. I just enjoyed the movies. I can't wait to see what the book is about. I'm crossing my fingers for even more Matt Damon fun!

I know. They marketed that classic and it flew off the shelf once they changed the cover. I am happy to say I own the classic cover. :) Classics should stay classic!

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo I agree that classics should say classics, not sell out to become more popular. I bet most of the people that bought it because of twilight didn't like it.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that it is good that people went from Twilight to a classic. Wideing the range of reading is always good no matter how it comes about. But it shouldn't of been marketed as a Twilgit spin off. It changes the whole character of the book. I'm not sure if how it went once it was read. I really hope that some appreciate a good classic now.

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo I guess it is good that it got some people to read it that wouldn't have normally. I just can't see them all enjoying it. I think the twilight series is one of those, like harry potter, that got people into reading more. I know that harry potter did that for me.

message 14: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I might be a little behind on my Twilight but really was it compared to Wuthering Heights? I just can't see the comparison with what little I know about Twilight.

message 15: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i dont really care.but usually they just put a paper cover on the books so if I dont like the movie cover I just take it and theres the old one

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie S. The character in Twilight liked the book Wuthering Heights. That was the connection.

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) Have you guys seen the new copies of Wuthering Heights, Romeo and Juliet, and Pride and Prejudice? They have paperback editions that have red and white flowers on them that match the Twilight books. I think it is sick personally.

message 18: by Deanna (last edited Feb 24, 2010 07:27AM) (new)

Deanna | 8 comments I agree! I guess book covers are are no different than people, all seem to change to fit in...so sad. (of course it is people who change the covers, I know it is not magic, LOL)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed. They all jumped on the bandwagon. I think that if they read Twilight and wanted to pick up Wuthering Heights or others they would of read the book with the normal regular plain old classic cover on it.

message 20: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 150 comments Kristen wrote: "Have you guys seen the new copies of Wuthering Heights, Romeo and Juliet, and Pride and Prejudice? They have paperback editions that have red and white flowers on them that match the Twilight books..."

Yes, I saw those. Ages ago. My mom and I call them the demise of literature...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Smart ladies :)

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie S. I don't like when they have the actors on the cover because it disrupts my mind image of them. Oh well, I can just ignore them. Sometimes I attach a piece of printer paper over the cover if I don't want to influenced by it.

message 23: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol ;)

message 24: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** I don't really care but if I am to go out and but the book i would always but it with the original book cover. I think the movie cover ones are only good for the people that are so obsesive about the movies it would go with everything else they have likely collected to go with the movies. It just becomes more of an influenced collection and how better to match the book collection to the movie...ugh...I think they would do better to make the movie covers match the book covers since books always come out first.

message 25: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i dont really care, its the same book...

message 26: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I agree. I just don't want the screen play which sometimes publishers will do if it means good sales.

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie S. I once saw a "novelization" of the Jurassic Park movie. It could hardly be called a novel-it was about 50 pages. I wanted to shout that we don't need dumbed-down novelizations of movies when there is a real Jurassic Park book that came before the movie.

message 28: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) We want the original! I don't care if the cover changes just give me the original novel.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad that I did not see this "novelization".

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Yeah, I am so glad that I read the real Jurassic Park novel, not the wimpy novelization.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to admit that I seen Stardust awhile back, once. I didn't even get the connection to the book at first. What little I did remember of the movie did not hinder with my reading. I admit that is rare but I thought I should mention both book and what I remember of the movie were both good.

(Great pick for a group read. It is a book I normally wouldn't of picked up but I'm now looking forward to more Neil Gaiman!)

message 32: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) (lol me too)

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela B I don't like it most the time but I do every not and then find covers I like more as the new cover