Shakespeare Fans discussion

Live Performances! > RSC in NYC July 6 - August 14, 2011

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 269 comments NEW YORK — Call it Stratford-upon-Hudson. Or maybe the East River.

Great Britain's Royal Shakespeare Company will take up residence at New York's Park Avenue Armory in 2011, presenting five Shakespeare plays in repertory July 6-Aug. 14, Lincoln Center Festival and the armory announced Monday.

The plays will be chosen from the company's 2009 and 2010 seasons and could include "Antony and Cleopatra," "As You Like It," "Julius Caesar," "King Lear," "Romeo and Juliet" or "The Winter's Tale."

The six-week engagement will be part of Lincoln Center Festival 2011, according to festival director Nigel Redden, who called the visit a "unique opportunity to experience Shakespeare's plays performed by an ensemble of actors whom they (audiences) will get to know over the course of watching five different productions."

The 44-member acting troupe will perform in a 930-seat thrust-stage auditorium that will be installed in the armory's Wade Thompson Drill Hall. It will be a replica of the RSC's Courtyard Theatre where the company currently performs. The structure will take two weeks to build.

"Our thrust stage, wrapping the audience around the action, allows people ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/08/royal-shakespeare-company_n_453722.html

message 2: by Candy (new)

Candy | 2537 comments Mod
Awesome. I would love to get to see any of those plays listed. Probably my favourite Shakespeare is Antony and Cleopatra with a close second of Love's Labours Lost. thanks for the news story pjreads.

message 3: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 269 comments Candy wrote: "Awesome. I would love to get to see any of those plays listed. Probably my favourite Shakespeare is Antony and Cleopatra with a close second of Love's Labours Lost. thanks for the news story pjreads."

I would love to see Antony & Cleopatra. I keep suggesting it to Southwest Shakespeare Company, but no go yet.

message 4: by Candy (new)

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently there are a couple of theories why it is not a popular choice to produce Antony and Cleopatra. One theory is that the male character lead gets killed early...and a female lead doesn't "sell". This is HER play. I've also heard that the stage set up is difficult.

I LOVE the BBC production ad I cried like a baby a couple of times during it.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 91 comments Well, if the thing isn't coming to NYC until a year and a half from now, why doesn't everyone who wants to come see Antony and Cleopatra make plans for a trip.

Candy and I have been chatting casually about "looking me up when she comes to New York". Here's the perfect excuse to actually do it. Anyone who wants to come see the RSC at the Armory should let me know where you're staying. I'll take you on a tour of the city, show you the best spots to eat and drink, and then we'll all go to the theatre in the evening.

What say you???

message 6: by Betty (last edited Mar 03, 2010 09:00AM) (new)

Betty Asma (languagelearner) pjreads wrote: "...Great Britain's Royal Shakespeare Company will take up residence at New York's Park Avenue Armory in 2011, presenting five Shakespeare plays in repertory July 6-Aug. 14..."

Matthew wrote: "...why doesn't everyone who wants to come see Antony and Cleopatra make plans for a trip...

This is great news and a reward for our studying these plays.

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 91 comments Asmah, I would sincerely hope that studying the plays is its own reward. But I think I know what you're saying. And I hope you and others will seriously consider coming to town.

message 8: by Candy (new)

Ooh...what a fantastic idea.

ROAD TRIP!