Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Sookie Stackhouse and book suggestions..

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K (new)

K I just read the first in the Sookie Stackhouse series and wondered if anyone could tell me whether the rest of the series is as good?

I am fairly new to paranormal romance reading, and also wondered if anyone had any divine suggestions? I have read the Twilight series and PC Cast's ongoing series...

message 2: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments In my opinion, the Sookie books get better as the series progresses.

There are tons of suggestions all over the group, but your best bet would be to check out the threads about favorite pnromances/authors.

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments Agreed...the series gets better and better!!! I am on book 6 now. Never want to put them down once I start reading :)

message 4: by Melisande (new)

Melisande (melisandes) This is my favorite series. It is also my Dad's favorite series. It is worth reading all the way through and over again.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 165 comments I too, love this series - it gets much higher stakes as the series progresses, and you never get a happily ever after, riding off in the sunset kind of ending, but I think that might be part of what makes the series work: it makes a paranormal situation so very believeable.

I'm going to a Charlaine Harris book signing in the DC suburbs on Thursday, May 15 - Charlaine does a LOT of signings and appearances. Check out her website if you want to meet her.

message 6: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 17 comments I have to agree too, I love the Charlaine Harris Sookie books. I just finished Dead to Worse. I read it in one day, just couldn't put it down.

message 7: by K (new)

K Anita, I would love to meet her - only I'm Australian!

Thanks guys - I have finished the second and am looking forward to the third.

message 8: by Seth (new)

Seth | 9 comments They definitely get better as they go. The plots get more complex and flow pretty seamlessly from book to book, so much so that it's often hard to remember where one book ends and another begins (the extremely similar titles certainly don't help with that, although they make it easy to ask for them in stores).

The characters get better, too, especially the men eventually getting mostly out of the "we're just here to tell Sookie how beautiful she is" role. She gets some real relationships with women, too, both friendships and not-so-friendships, which is nice.

I made the mistake of getting Dead to Worse the evening it came out. My sleep schedule is still disrupted :-)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) sookie gets better and better as the series continues. I'm impatiently waiting for the 8th book to arrive in the mail . i have some suggestions on other books you can read that's similar to Sookie IMO
Mercy Thompson series by patricia briggs
Queen Betsy Series by MJ davidson and
Argeneau series by lynsay sands (although it's more romance then mystery I think you'd like it)

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 24 comments The series is great! You'll love it.

And you should join the Sookie Stackhouse Goodreads group!

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 165 comments I went to a Charlaine Harris "Dead to Worse" book signing last night, which was proceeded by 30 minutes of Q&A. This is what I recall:

She's writing the next Sookie book right now - half done. It will be published next May.

The Sookie series does not have a set number of books - she'll keep writing them until she runs out of ideas.

She's known since very early on who Sookie will end up with (which to me means that she will end up with a character introduced in book one, maybe book two). My money's on Sam, the restaurant owner.

Eric wasn't intended to be a major character at first, but he was so fun to write, she just went with it.

She's spent some time on the set of the new Sookie series (I forget the name) that will take the Saprano's time slot on HBO starting in September. It will loosely follow one book each season. She warned that there are some differences from the book, but she trusts the writers/producers to do a great job. She's met the cast and says the guy who plays Andy Belfleur is a dead ringer for her image of Andy. All of the major characters from the book are in the series. She's actively trying to write more of Sherriff Derborn (might have the name wrong) into the series because she loves the actor that plays the sherriff.

She said (jokingly) that whenever she gets bored, she kills off a character.

Quinn is definately in the next book.

Sookie will continue to face calamadies - she gets her breathing room between books, not in them.

Dead to Worse is #6 on the NYT bestsellers list. (The Host is #1).

Charlaine never has much of a plan when she starts writing a book - she prefers to go with the flow.

Charlaine had a very pleasant demenor and was very kind to her fans, clearly appreciative of their support.

My guess is that a little under 100 people showed up for the book signing - but there were still chairs available. Some people brought stacks of books to sign, which she did with a smile.

She does not plan to write another Shakespeare book. (an early mystery series) There will be at least one more book for the ghost whisperer series so she can find her sister (don't know what that means). She's working on another Aurora book. (Again, I know nothing.)

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Thanks so much for sharing all this!!!!!

Lots of stuff to look forward to then. I'm a little surprised more people didn't show. That's great you got a Q & A session. I've not been to a book signing where they made the time for that.

Thanks again!

message 13: by K (new)

K Thanks again for responding to my post - I really apperciate it. I'm on the fourth book, which might be my favourite since the first. Whats your favourite since then?

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Most people didn't like this one so much but I loved All Together Dead.

message 15: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I don't remember what the name is, but I love the one where Sookie has to go to New Orleans.

message 16: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I think that's the 6th book. The one with Sookie riding the tiger.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Summer- It's called Definitely Dead.