Books are my life... discussion

REVIEWS > Jessica's Reviews

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessica B (last edited Feb 18, 2010 10:18AM) (new)

Jessica B Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Read in January 2010
4 out of 5 stars

So to start I will just say I loved this book.

However, this book haunted me. On boxing day I decided to take a trip to Chapters because I was already headed to another store near by. I received a fabulous gift card for chapters for Christmas and thought I could see what I could get my hands on. Well I was browsing through a section of new YA books and came across this book. For starters the cover grabbed my attention and then the small clip written on the back sealed the deal for me. SO I picked it up off the table and headed over to the line to purchase this fabulous book. Well when I got there it was unbelievably long and after a long day of shopping one more line was not in my future. So I put the book back and headed home. But when I got there I couldn't stop thinking about how I could have been reading this book. For two days I struggled through the last of the book I was reading but just couldn't get Hush, Hush out of my mind. So finally I submitted I woke up early enough to get to the mall early and grab myself a copy of Hush, Hush. And I will just say, man I wish I would have picked up this book sooner. Fantastic read and I can't wait to see what the author has in store next for Nora and Patch!

message 2: by Jessica B (last edited Feb 18, 2010 10:19AM) (new)

Jessica B [image error]

Read in January 2010.
4 out of 5 stars

This book really kind of freaked me out at the end. But I will say the author did a good job of making sure I would buy the next book in the series when it comes out in September 2010. I just have to know what is going to happen next. All in all this book had some pretty crazy twists and turns. I'm sure the next book will be even better now that we have the characters developed. Torment (Fallen #2) will be added to my TBR pile!

message 3: by Jessica B (last edited Feb 18, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Jessica B Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

Read in January 2010
5 out 5 stars

I absolutely loved this book. Rose is a kick butt heroine and Dimitri is a hot hunk of vampire. I think this has the potential to be one of my all time favourite series. This book certainly sets up for some very interesting things to happen in upcoming books. My first 5 star book of 2010!!!

message 4: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)  by Richelle Mead

Read in January 2010
5 out of 5 stars

Vampire Academy has made it's way up to the top of my favourite series list. That always seem to happen whenever I get into a new series. But these are the kind of books I would recommend to strangers on the street who really don't care about my opinion! So anyone who reads this and hasn't read vampire academy yet... you probably should... and if you hate it... Sorry!

message 5: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)  by Richelle Mead

Read in January 2010
5 out of 5 stars

Wow!
What else can I say? I'm not really sure... but when I said that this series had the potential to be one of my favourites I think I undermined it. Fabulous read and I'm already itching to read the next one. Loved this one and am really quite upset that I just have one more to read and then I have to wait for the next one to come out!!

message 6: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B [image error]

Read in January 2010
5 out of 5 stars (favourite read in January 2010)

If I could give this book 6 maybe even seven stars out of five I would! I loved it! I stayed up til five in the morning last night just to finish it. I couldn't put it down! I really can't believe I have to wait so long for the next one but I have a feeling its going to be even better then the last one!

message 7: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B A Touch of Dead (Southern Vampire Mystery Short Stories) by Charlaine Harris

Read in January 2010
Audiobook
3 out of 5 stars

Listened to this on my Ipod. Great to get a small fix of Sookie. Really looking forward to the next book in the series coming out!

message 8: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward

Read in January 2010
4 out of 5 stars

Loved this one! It had some slow parts but overall I really enjoyed it. It wasn't my favourite of the series, but it is close to the top of the list. I think JR Ward set up the next book nicely and I am really looking forward to it. It had been so long since I had read a BDB novel. It was very refreshing!

message 9: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, Book 1) by Kristin Cashore

Read in February 2010
5 out of 5 stars

Great book! I haven't felt that way about a story line since The Hunger Games. I was really pulling for Katsa, and she was amazing. I am looking forward to Fire, but very excited about Bitterblue now as well. I wish I wouldn't have put off reading this for so long! This book had everything: adventure, danger, romance and heartache. Wonderful story!

message 10: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Fire (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, Book 2) by Kristin Cashore

Read in February 2010
4 out of 5 stars

I really love the fantasy world that Kristin Cashore has created. Graceling was amazing and Fire certainly only addded to the awesomeness of the series! Can't wait for Bitterblue. This series is one of my favourites and Kristin Cashore has made it on to my favourite authors list!

message 11: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Read in February 2010
4 out of 5 stars

My first steampunk novel and I loved it! And the cover on this book is freakin amazing! Looking forward to the next one in the series to see what other wonderful creations Mr. Westerfeld can produce! I especially liked the part at the end where the author explained what was fact and what was fiction. Made for a great history lesson!

message 12: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B [image error]

Read in February 2010
3 out of 5 stars

I didn't love this one. The only reason I gave it three stars was because it managed to make me laugh out loud at a few points. I didn't really get the whole we can't be together thing, because they seemed pretty together to me, and every time they had a fight the made up five minutes later.

I didn;t hate it, but I didn't love it. If it is a series I would probably continue with it, but I'm not dying to find out what happens next.

message 13: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead

Read in February 2010
4 out of 5 stars

I really enjoy Richelle Mead's writing style and thought this was a great start to another series. She always seems to think of somthing that no one else has. I love how the story progressed and there are certainly a number of twists and turns along the way. I will say I didn't care for Kiyo much, but I loved Dorian!

message 14: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2) by Richelle Mead

Read in February 2010
5 out of 5 stars

Another great one from Richelle Mead. This one really was much better then Storm Born, but such is usually the case with the first book in a series. I loved how this one ended and I will just say that is exactly how I was hoping it would turn out... can't wait to see what develops when the next book comes out!!

message 15: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

Read in February 2010
5 out of 5 stars

I shouldn't have put this off for so long. It was a great start to what I'm sure will be a great series. I loved both the heroine and hero. they were great for each other, and I fell in love with Bones right along with Cat. I really felt her struggle and loved how this one ended even if it wasn't happily ever after. It set up for the next book to be just as good!

message 16: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost

Read in February 2010
5 out of 5 stars

Couldn't put this one down! Bones and Cat are at it again ... with Cat now working for the FBI, Bones has no choice but to become her partner in all ways. We meet some great characters in this one, some we love and some we hate. The relationship between Cat and Bones stayed fresh and I think I may have fallen even a little bit more in love with Bones in this one!

message 17: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost

Read in March 2010
5 out of 5 stars

This series keeps getting better and better. Bones and Cat seem to have some bad luck but they story was great and exciting. I worried that after they got back together in book 2 the story might get a little stale, but that was definately not the case. This one had some serious ups and downs but I wasn't able to put it down!

message 18: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost

Read in March 2010
5 out of 5 stars

Wow! I didn't think this series was just going to keep getting better and better. The story was exciting and the characters stayed fresh. I loved all of the characters whether they be good or bad. The author makes it so easy to love and hate them all at the same time. I just don't think I will ever be able to get enough of Bones!!

message 19: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

Read in March 2010.
5 out of 5 stars

What a great start to a spin off series. The story certainly wasn't lacking in any way! I loved how the author tied in the other main characters as well... always good to see a little extra Bones! However, I thought Spade was a spectacular hero, and Denise was very strong considering everything that she had been through. The ending was great, but I won't give anythign away, I'll just say I shed a few tears...

message 20: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Smooth Talking Stranger (Travis's, #3) by Lisa Kleypas

Read in March 2010
5 out of 5 stars

Another fabulous story in the Travis series! It was deliciously entertaining. I fell in love with Jack Travis and every time he was mentioned in the book my heart would flutter...

Ella was such a strong heroine and a great match for Jack. There was certainly an over-zealous happily ever after ending, but I think that is exactly what this stroy needed.

Lisa Kleypas has certainly mastered the art of contemporary romance. Bravo!

message 21: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

Read in March 2010
4 out of 5 stars

The first of the Wallflower Series. The heroine is beautiful Annabelle and her hero is cunning Simon Hunt. The heat between these two is incredible. I think Lisa Kleypas writes some of the best heros in romance. It seemed everytime Simon was mentioned I couldn't put the book down. I plan to continue with the series and look forward to getting to know the other Wallflowers as well. (Lillian, Daisy and Evie)

message 22: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas

Read in March 2010
4 out of 5 stars

Number two in the Wallflower series from lisa Kleypas. This story has Lillian Bowman matched with Lord Westcliff, a very unlikely match. I'm a big fan of the love/hate relationship story in books and this one did not disappoint. I love how only after two books the author was able to completely pull me into the series and make me feel like I know the characters so well.

A great historical roamnce... with just a little suspense thrown in for fun!

message 23: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas

Read in March 2010
4 out of 5 stars

Well I would say this book was more like 4.5 stars. It was my favourite of the series so far but still not quite deserving of 5 stars. Evie and St. Vincent are a very unlikely match but the author really makes it work and you watch as St. Vincent transforms into a beast with a heart. I guess the reason why this book wasn't quite five stars for me was because it seems like one minute St. Vincent is pushing Evie away and the next he is showering her in love. I would have liked to see a bit more of a struggle from St. Vincent since I was enjoying it so much. Otherwise it was a fabulous book and my heart melted when St. Vincent gave Evie the foot warmer in the carriage.

message 24: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas

Read in March 2010
4 out of 5 stars

Again this one was more of a 4.75 stars out of 5 and not quite a 5. I say that because I gave Devil in Winter a 4.5 but I enjoyed this book even more then the thrid from the series. I think I related well to Daisy and her dreamy ways. Also, I am a big sucker for the unrequited love for many years thing... top it off with a beautiful happily ever after and you have a great end to a wonderful series...

message 25: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

Read in March 2010
4 out of 5 stars

So after having this book on my TBR shelf for such a long time, I finally decided it was time to see what all the excitement was about. I was slightly disappointed as I thought for sure it was goign to be a five star read... but I will tell you why in my eyes it only deserved four.

I found at times sometimes the authors world building was just a little bit boring and her character building felt like one minute you thought you had a grasp on the character and the next they were doing something I would have thought was out of character, I found that sometimes the wording began to seem like jibberish to me and I would find that I had read a page but not really have read it all.

Mostly though, I enjoyed the story. I enjoyed the charcters. And at some points I thought the writing was absolutely amazing. There were two points in which I was amazed at the author for the affect that she had on me. The first was the story that Jace told Clary about the hunting falcon and the second was the entire chapter titled "A Werewolf's Tale" Both of these items were very well written and had me gobbling up the pages.

message 26: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare

Read in April 2010
4 out of 5 stars

So again my expectations I think, were way to high. I still find myself drifting sometimes as I'm reading and realizing about two pages later that I have no idea what I've just read. It's not even that I don't like the story line. The whole situation with Jace, Clary and Simon, I find very interesting. I don't know maybe it's just me and I'm in a bit of a reading slump.

I will say again that the author writes some parts in her books that really speak to me and that's why I keep on reading so that I can find more of her perfectly wriiten work it just seems that the perfect parts are buried among the crap so to speak.

The second book was certainly better then the first and I'm really hoping the third one is goign to blow me away!

message 27: by Jessica B (last edited Apr 12, 2010 12:06PM) (new)

Jessica B City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

Read in April 2010
5 out of 5 stars

Ahhh... At last the five star read I was waiting for from this series. Fantastic read, I feel that the author really came into the story with this one. I didn't have any of those feelings of being lost in this one, I wanted to hang on to each and every word.'

The characters seemed so much more real in this book, more like they were truly there with me instaed of just some words on a page. Clary and Jace's story was such a struggle and it ended perfectly.

In fact I don't see why the author is going to do another book. This was the perfect way to end it in my opinion.

message 28: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson

Read in April 2010
4 out of 5 stars

So I have read a few other James Patterson novels, his romance in particular and when I found out he had done a YA series I was pretty excited, the story sounded great. I wasn't disappointed. I thought the writing was great, very flowing. I didn't find it hard to pick up this book and get lost in the pages. I just felt like I didn't really connect with all of the characters and that is why it was only a four star read for me. I'm sure once the series develops I will know them all so well.

Max was a fantastic main character, I connected with her very well. She was such a strong, mature female role and I think that is why I connected with her so well. I wish we would have seen more from her and Fang... She seemed to have more connection with all of the other characters more... even Jeb and Ari. But I never knew how she was feeling about Fang.

On the other hand, maybe that was a smart approach because I can't wait to pick up the next book and see where it takes max and the others.

message 29: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B School's Out - Forever (Maximum Ride, #2) by James Patterson

Read in April 2010
4 out of 5 stars

The second in James Patterson's Maximum Ride Series. 6 Kids + Wings = a pretty wild adventure. I like how the story stayed fast paced and exciting. I still feel that there are alot of unanswered questions which is great because I want to keep reading to see what happens, especially with Max and Fang.

I'm not so much a big fan of Angel after this book. She takes advantage of people, and is tryign to take over Max's position.

Overall it was a pretty good read and I look forward to continuing with this series.

message 30: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

Read in May 2010
5 out of 5 stars

By far the best Black Daggar Brotherhood book to date. I feel like J.R. Ward is making a come back and we are only goign to have great things in store. Just when I thought these books were beginning to get stale she throws a fast one at us.

I loved John and Xhex. There story was so real and so raw. My heart broke for them repeatedly. I didn't think I was going to like Xhex very much but she proved to be just as much a vampire of worth as John was.

Not only was the main story amazing but all side stories including Blay/Qhuinn, Lash, Paranormal Investigators, Darius/Tohr and Payne/Wrath were all wonderful and I didn't dislike any of them.

Lash turned out to be a perfect villain, I usually wasn't a fan of what the lessers were doing but I had to know what Lash was up to.

There seemed to be alot left open at the end of this one ... meaning that the next one will surely have many answers to come.

I can't wait to see what Payne and Manny have in store for us!

message 31: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harris

Read in May 2010
4 out of 5 stars

Oh Sookie Stackhouse I have been waiting for you for over a year... you just didn't do that one year period justice.

I love the Sookie Stackhouse novels and am a huge fan of Charlaine Harris's writing. Trust me she could blither on about nothing and I would enjoy it... which is sort of what this book was. A whole lot of nothing that was very enjoyable.

I felt there wasn't much of a plot... and not enough Eric, Bill and too much Sam.

I really enjoyed the beginning of the book when Sookie was getting over her torture. It was such dark writing... I really connected with her and felt that that part of the book was exceptionally written.

I think Ms. Harris is setting up for a wonderful plot line in the next story... I just wish I didn't have to wait so darn long to read it!

message 32: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead

Read in May 2010
5 out of 5 stars

I've been waiting for this book since January when I read the other four parts of this series. It was a very long 5 months. This particular installment did not disappoint! It was everything I was expecting and more. I think there was a lot of prep for the final book in this one, but it was done right. It was interesting and kept at a good pace.

Rose was in her normal "Rose" fashion. Pulling crazy stunts and coming out relatively unscathed! There was enough Dimitri, Adrian, Lissa and Christian to keep me satisfied but also some other characters that we got to know better in this book.

I'm really very sad that it is already over... I guess it is time to start counting down to the next one!

message 33: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3) by James Patterson

Read in May 2010
4 out of 5 stars

This was definately my favourite of the series so far. I didn't feel like there was too much fluff and the excitement level was high. I personally really enjoyed the parts with Max and Fang. I can feel their realtiosnhip developing and I'm excited to see what awaits them next.

I felt maybe the ending was a little rushed and perhaps a little too HEA for me and that would be the only reason I gave this 4 instead of 5 stars.

Overall I find these books hilarious... I love Max's sarcastic attitude and how all the other kids seem to pick up that trait from her. I plan to read the next one soon!

message 34: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Read in May 2010
4 out of 5 stars

Maybe it was all the hype about this book but I think I had something else in mind when I started reading this. I thought it was good but maybe a little boring at times. My favourite characters weren't even the main two. I really liked Beck and Isabel. Now they were exciting.

I enjoyed the sad tone of the book. Grace's despair at the end was delightful... in a non sadistic kind of way. I just really enjoy when an author can put me in the characters shoes.

I found the ending a little confusing. I'm not really sure what happened. It all seemed a little rushed. I will definately read Linger when it comes out...I'm just not anticipating it as much as the other books I've read.

message 35: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B A Knight in Shining Armor (Montgomery Saga, #10) by Jude Deveraux

Read in May 2010
4 out of 5 stars

More of a 4.5 star read really. I loved this story and how the characters gradually grew to love each other. It was beautiful.

Nicholas is my kind of guy! He was a gentlemen with a streak of bad boy in him. I absolutely loved his character when he came forward in time. And he eventually grew on me in the past.

I loved how the author didn't have them immediately falling in love. It was a slow gradual process. It was a truly lovely story and the ending was a heart breaker.

Beautifully written. Would suggest this to anyone who reads romance!

message 36: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

Read in June 2010
5 out of 5 stars

I absolutely loved this book!! It was so refreshing and new. I loved how the authore turned a historical romance into a historical paranormal romance and made it so funny that my boyfriend thought I was crazy with all my laughing out loud.

Alexia isn't the typical heroine --- she's not quite pretty and doesn't fall into the norm society has set out but she is so easy to love.

Lord Maccon was devilish and hilarious... his antics with Alexia were to die for, I especially enjoyed the scene at the end of the book. I won't spoil it for anyone but it is definately a favourite of mine.

I'm so glad I decided to pick this one up. I have a feeling it is going to be one of my favourite series!

message 37: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Killer Dad by Robert Scott

Read in June 2010
4 out of 5 stars

This is my first go at a true crime novel. I've read alot of articles and decided it was time to see what they were like. I enjoyed the read very much. I felt like the author did an incredible job portraying the facts for me. He never once stated his opinion of guilt of innocence, he let me try to figure out my own opinion along the way.

In fact I'm not even sure if I've come up with my opinion on Michael Blagg's guilt. However I do know it won't be the last true crime book I enjoy...

message 38: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Covet (Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward

Read in July 2010
4 out of 5 stars

J.R. Ward's new series started out about the same as her BDB books. A little slow in the beginning. There is always so much plot to set up in her books. About half way through the book took an amazing turn and putting it down was very hard.

It was nice to see a few familiar faces in this book. Trez, Detective De La Cruz and even if my guess is correct Phury. Trez turned out to be my favourite secondary character. Such a gentleman. I can't wait to hear more about him.

The main characters Marie-Terese, Vin, and Jim were fabulously written. They were all fighting such a hard battle in their personal lives and then throw in some soul sucking demons and they had a lot to handle.

The ending was brilliant. Jim made such a hard decision, but we all knew it was going to be the right one.

I'm looking forward to the next in the series. Another great series from JR Ward. I was already a die-hard fan of BDB and hopefully now it will be the same with the Fallen Angels series.

message 39: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger

Read in July 2010
5 out of 5 stars

What a fabulous book! The mystery here was fantastic... although I had an idea of who the spy was Ms. Carriger still had me guessing at who it could be. The possibilities were endless.

I guess I had a different picture of what this book would be like. I was under the impression that Lord Maccon wasn't in the book all that much but I thought it was the perfect amount. His background story was great, although I think he and Alexia need to fine tune their communication skills.

I loved all of the characters in this book, sarcastic comments and all. I found much of the dialogue between Alexia, Ivy and Felicity quite laugh out loud funny at times.

I had read over and over again how the ending of this book was awful... and to be honest I could not figure out what could possibly happen... and once it finally did happen, I was blown away. However, I do think it is going to create a very interesting plot line for the next installment... I am very much looking forward to September 1.

message 40: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles

Read in July 2010
5 out of 5 stars

I LOVED THIS BOOK!

I'm so glad I decided to pick it up for a group read. It was one of the best love stories I have read to date.

Brittany and Alex were great main characters. Each fighting their own inner battle and the battle to not fall for one another.

Alex and Brittany were wrong for each other from the start, he was a gang member from the wrong side of the tracks and she was the captain of the cheer squad and dating a popular football player. When they are partnered together in Chemistry things start to change for them.

There was just enough balance between happy and sad in this book to make it just right. I always like a little splash in the face when it comes to real world issues.

I loved all of the supporting characters as well. I look forward to reading the next in the series!

message 41: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer

Read in July 2010
4 out of 5 stars

I'm really glad I picked this up. I remembered how much I loved this story and now I love it even more. It was great to see the bad side of vampire life. To experience the pain and suffering with Bree really opened up my eyes to the newborn life, and just how lucky Bella was to avoid it.

I came to care for Bree and that made her end seem so much more tragic... and the short bond she felt to Diego made her feel like she finally found a friend, or more and it was all taken away from her way too soon.

Fred was certainly an interesting character. He had one of the most powerful talents among the vampires. I hope that it is not the last we see of him!

I almost wish that the story was longer so we could have seen all the characters develop more. I hope this is not the end, and that someday soon we will get to meet more of the small characters from the Twilight saga.

message 42: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkeles

Read in July 2010
5 out of 5 stars

I didn't know if I was goign to love this one. I thought maybe two books about the same thing might seem repetative... I was wrong!

Carlos and Kiara created the perfect story, and although Carlos is alot like Alex... he's also a stand out character. His attitude was bad, he was into drugs and gangs... but man turning the bad boy into a good one always has such appeal.

It was great to see Alex and Britanny agian and even get involved in their relationship.

I loved th epilogue in this book. It's always so great to see the characters you've come to love in the distant future.

*sigh* What a great read!

message 43: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine Harris

Read in July 2010
4 out of 5 stars

I am a huge fan of Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse novels so I thought it would be great to read another one of her series.

I enjoyed the read immensely... it seemed to be the editing that caused me to knock it down to four stars...I mean come on there were blatant mistakes throughout the entire book.

However, I did enjoy Harper and Tolliver very much. It was a bit of a darker read, which I often enjoy and the mystery was just right. I'm looking forward to continuing with this series, lets hope the editing gets better.

message 44: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Grave Surprise (Harper Connelly, #2) by Charlaine Harris

Read in July 2010
4 out of 5 stars

Another book I enjoyed by Charlaine Harris. This was the second in the Harper Connelly series, and it was even better then the first. For some reason the author has a great ability to make me not be able to wait to find out 'whodunnit'

Harper and Tolliver were developed a little bit more and their relationship started to take on a new light. I'm glad Harper finally realized what she had right in front of her...

After the ending of this one I'm looking forward to what will develop next!

message 45: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly, #3) by Charlaine Harris

Read in July 2010
4 out of 5 stars

My favourite of the series so far, yet still not quite deserving of 5 stars. I think this one could have captured the five star rating had editing benn up to par. The first one was even worse than this... it's really disappointing when you have a great storyline but nothing really matches up.

However, besides the terrible editing, it was a spooky mystery with some great romance thrown in. I'm so glad Harper and Tolliver finally figured out where they were.

This was a tough one for Harper... she sure had her work cut out for her and Doraville, and I'm not sure she got paid enough for the crap she put up with.

All in all it was a great mystery that kept me guessing... I'm glad CH did not tone down the deaths in the book. I'm looking forward to starting the final book in the series.

message 46: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Grave Secret (Harper Connelly Mystery, #4) by Charlaine Harris

Read in July 2010
4 out of 5 stars

My favourite of the series for sure. So many things came together in this book. It was perfect. I had no idea at the end who would be the bad guy. It was a shocker!

Harper and Tolliver's relationship held strong and I didn't have any problem with the fact that they were sort of brother and sister.

I felt like even though it was a tragic ending we still got the typical HEA. I wish she was writing more to the series but all in all I enjoyed all four books. CH is a great author -- one of my favourites.

message 47: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan

Read in July 2010
3 out of 5 stars

Ok... where to start. This was a tough one. Where as I loved the premise of the book, I despised the main character. She was far too selfish and whiney for me. She was not deserving of the love that she received.

However, where I hated the main character, the idea of the book was great. Zombies, are pretty freaky... and this book had it's moments where I was slightly afraid of the zombies on the other side of the fence.

The title of this book is really what grabbed my attention and had me saying " I need to buy the book." It was perfect.

I will read the next one, so I can hope that I will love the main character a little more, and in hopes that HEA is still in sight for this series.

message 48: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2) by Jeaniene Frost

Read in July 2010
5 out of 5 stars

Jeaniene Frost has done it again. She managed to write another great funny, romantic vampire book and keep it fresh.

I didn't know in the beginning how I was going to feel about Mencheres having his own book, but I was not disappointed. JF had her work cut out for her in convincing me that Mencheres deserved in HEA, and she did. I fell in love with Mencheres right along with Kira.

And Kira, what a fabulous heroine. She was new and fresh and held her ground. She fought hard for Mencheres and won him. It was such a great story. i look forward to hearing more about them in upcoming books.

FYI --- we seem some of our favourite characters including Bones, Cat and Vlad!!!

message 49: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead

Read in August 2010
4 out of 5 stars

Another great start to a series by Richelle Mead. I have already read her other two series ( Vampire Academy and Dark Swan). I loved them both... and I'm on my way to loving this one as well.

Georgina Kincaid is a succubus who would rather be human. She wants meaningful relationships with humans, but being a succubus makes that near impossible.

There are a series of attachs going around Seattle on immortals of all kinds and Georgina takes it on herself to find out who is. However she gets herself in a bit more trouble than she can handle on her own.

There was some writing in this book that made me go "wow, that was freakin fantastic" the author had me feeling so many emotions at once it was like an overload to my mind. However this book also did suffer slightly from the first book in a series syndrome which meant more setting up of the plot line then the good stuff.

I really enjoyed Georgina and her slightly sad existance. I can't wait to read more about her and all of her friends, immortal and not.

message 50: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead

Read in August 2010
4 out of 5 stars

The next installment in the Georgina Kincaid series. Another great read and I am enjoying Georgina more and more.

This particular book pits her against a drug lord. But he is not an ordinary drug lord as Georgina soon discovers. After this we know no one messes with Georgina's humans.

Her romance with Seth his still going and still as rocky as ever. Personally I think that boy needs to get a backbone.

There were definitely some very enjoyable laugh out loud moments in this book. Richelle Mead writes wonderful stories. Can't wait to pick up the next one.

« previous 1