Stephen White - Alan Gregory discussion

How Group Reads Work > Stephen White Mini-Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 786 comments Mod
Which Alan Gregory Book are you currently reading or which do you plan to read next? Since we're reading other authors in our group read program - maybe using this thread you can find group members to read an Alan Gregory book with :-) The next one I'd like to read is Higher Authority (book 3) - I have not been reading the books in order. I've read Higher Authority once but it interests me because I was raised in Utah and then I moved to Colorado - plus Higher Authority is probably White's most controversial book, so that always interests me :-) but first I gotta read Still Life.

message 2: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

If you do find someone to read a book with - please discuss the book in the appropriate discussion thread (create a new thread for the book if necessary). Use this thread to find out what book in the series different group members are reading. Thanks.

I just finished Manner of Death (again I am totally reading these books out of order :-) I'll post some comments in the Manner of Death thread soon.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments Let me know when you start Higher Authority and I will read it with you. I, too, need to read Still Life. As I said before, my daughter goes to school in Utah so is why I am anxious to read it.

message 4: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Oh yeah! You should get your daughter to read it - I bet she would really be able to relate :-) I'm assuming she is not LDS. Do you have Still Life now? Let's read Still Life and then Higher Authority together... maybe it's good timing? I am a slow reader though, unless I can get audiobooks on CD to help me along. I really like to get the CD of a book and the book in print at the same time but depending on availability at the library, that doesn't always work out. I do have the Still Life book but still waiting for the Audio version, but I'll try to start reading it anyway. I just have this problem like many readers... too many books and not enough time :-)

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments I can so relate. I have a short attention span and jump around a lot when I read. I read slow too. I have Still Life. When do you want to start?

message 6: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Christine wrote: "I can so relate. I have a short attention span and jump around a lot when I read. I read slow too. I have Still Life. When do you want to start?"

I guess anytime. I only have 6 books going at once right now :-) I'll start one and then set it aside until it interests me again... I try to limit myself but it always seems to get out of control... so anytime I can start. I really need to get this one read :-) I'll try to at least get started tomorrow - I'll comment in the Still Life thread as soon as I've started.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments That works for me.

message 8: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Feb 16, 2010 09:02AM) (new)

Laurel, I noticed you're reading the Alan Gregory books in order (with the exception of the Siege). Is the Program the next one your gonna read? I think it was published after Cold Case. I bought me a copy of The Program at my library booksale recently and I'd try to read it sometime :-) it may be a while though (as you may have seen in my other posts - I've already lined up my next two books to read in this group :-)

Laurel, you could read Kill Me out of order like you did The Siege - those two pretty much are stand-alones.

message 9: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Hey Jan, do you want to read Higher Authority with Christine & I? :-) We'll help you get through it!

message 10: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 119 comments ok. I'll try to make an effort to get back to it.

message 11: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I just gotta read Still Life first :-) I did start it today - so that's something. I'll probably start commenting on the Still Life discussion tomorrow - FINALLY! :-)

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments Jan, glad you are going to be joining Dustin and I while we read Higher Authority. I, too, have to read Still Life and started it today. I will comment soon.

message 13: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jan and Christine,
I'm still planning on re-reading Higher Authority in March. Are you both still in? :-)

message 14: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 119 comments It is still on my bookshelf and I keep meaning to get to it. I just haven't done so yet.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments I'm ready to read it at any time. Its sitting on my shelf.

message 16: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

It will probably be next week before I'm really into Higher Authority but I might read a few pages this week :-) I've got to finish Lightning by Dean Koontz first.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments That works for me. I just home from Chicago and it will take a day or two to get caught up here at home. I will watch for you to start.

message 18: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Christine wrote: "That works for me. I just home from Chicago and it will take a day or two to get caught up here at home. I will watch for you to start."

Okay :-) you finished Still Life way before I did, but I think I'll be more interested in Higher Authority, so this should be a quicker read.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments Still Life is a cozy. I never heard of that term until I read Still Life. Its very different from the Alan Gregory series. I think cozies tend to be tamer than your usual mystery/thriller series.

message 20: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Christine wrote: "Still Life is a cozy. I never heard of that term until I read Still Life. Its very different from the Alan Gregory series. I think cozies tend to be tamer than your usual mystery/thriller series."

I'm just not a cozy type of reader :-) I want fast-moving thrillers!

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments I lean more toward the thrillers but its nice to slow things down especially if real life is hectic.

message 22: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

We're currently reading Higher Authority through April. Does anyone have a Stephen White title, you'd like to read as a mini-group read after we finish Higher Authority?

message 23: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 119 comments I'm trying to read these in order.

How about Harm's Way?

message 24: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Harm's Way sounds good to me because I haven't read it yet and I'm not exactly reading them in order :-) I think we should have at least 3 people interested for a mini-group read. Anybody else who would like to read Harm's Way?

message 25: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I think I'm going to shorten the reading period for Stephen White mini-group reads to just one month. (unless there are objections :-) the 3 or more people interested can agree on start date for a Stephen White title and then it'll be featured as "currently reading" for one month from that start date.

message 26: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Anyone interested in reading a Stephen White title before THE LAST LIE is released in August? Please post in this thread if you're gonna read an Alan Gregory book - you might find others to join you :-) Thanks

message 27: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Reading Line of Fire has gotten me interested in reading some of the earlier books in the series that I haven't read yet. I own audiobooks of the following

Missing Persons
The Program
Critical Conditions

Anyone interested in reading one of these 3 with me? Please post :-)

message 28: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 119 comments I haven't read any of those. I was surprised to find out that I don't even have two of them. But they are available on kindle now. Although there are about five additional ones that I have the paperbacks for - just haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

message 29: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

If we get 3 people interested in reading the same title, it will be featured as a mini-group read :-)

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments I am reading Critical Conditions right now.

I am also willing to read Missing Persons and The Program. I have both in my TBR pile.

message 31: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Okay Jan - Are you up for Missing Persons or The Program? If so, which do you prefer? Lets do this! :-)
I think Missing Persons sounds the most interesting.

message 32: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 119 comments Missing Persons sounds okay.

When did you want to do it?

message 33: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

How about during the month of May - beginning next Tuesday may 1st?

If you need to start a little sooner or later, that's fine, but I'll feature it on the group page for the month of May if that alright :-)

message 34: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I've added Missing Persons to the group bookshelf as an upcoming read and created a Missing Persons discussion thread - you can find it in the Current Group Read Discussions folder - after May it will move to the Alan Gregory books folder. Things are happening here again :-)

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments Count me in for the group read of Missing Persons

message 36: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Christine wrote: "Count me in for the group read of Missing Persons"

:-) Alrighty, You're in!

message 37: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Anyone interested in reading The Program in June?

message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments I will do that one too.

message 39: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 119 comments Possibly. I haven't read it yet.

message 40: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

The Program is one I own but haven't read. All this excitement about the series ending has gotten me interested in reading the books again :-)

message 41: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Lets just plan on The Program in June. I'll set it up as group event and try to send out an invite to group members during May.

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "The Program is one I own but haven't read. All this excitement about the series ending has gotten me interested in reading the books again :-)"

The same goes for me. I forgot how much I like the character Alan Gregory. I'm kind of reading them out of order now but it doesn't seem to be throwing me off too badly.

message 43: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jul 05, 2012 10:10AM) (new)

If anyone is ready to read another Alan Gregory book, please post here. Listed below are the 8 books I still need to read in the series - so I would be willing to read any of them any time:

Private Practice, #2
Harms Way, #4
Remote Control, #5
Critical Conditions, #6
Manner of Death, #7
Cold Case, #8
Warning Signs, #10
The Best Revenge, #11

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments I would like to read Manner of Death or Warning Signs.

message 45: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I forgot I already have read Manner of Death :-) I have to take that off my list.

Anybody else for Warning Signs? One more person makes it featured as a group read :-)

message 46: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10) by Stephen White

Who will read it?

message 47: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 119 comments I'll join. I don't have this one so I can get it on kindle. I never did find my copy of The Program.

message 48: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments Cool. When can everyone start reading it? I can at any time.

message 49: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Sorry, I got caught up in other things and didn't get back here to check about the mini-group read. I am still up for Warning Signs whenever you would like to do it :-) This will be an audiobook for me and I do have a few titles already in the line up but might be able to bump Warning Signs up in line if needed :-) When do you want to start it Jan and/or Christine?

message 50: by Christine (new)

Christine | 207 comments I can start at any time.

« previous 1